Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting Cabinet between Windows of 2600RB Slide Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Cabinet between Windows of 2600RB Slide Out?

I am looking for feedback from anyone that may have mounted anything between the large windows of the 2600 RB slide out.
    I am blessed to be able to work from home. Or in this case, from my camper when I'm traveling. I'm currently set up at the dinette table but I've got cables and stuff running all over the place. I would like to make and install a small shallow "cabinet" (basically a door with 3 inch deep frame around it) between the two large windows of the 2600 RB slide out. This would put the cabinet directly above the divider between the couch/chairs and the dinette. This cabinet would be used to hide a power strip and I would probably build some USB charging ports into the base of that as well. I would some wire molding up the wall to hide the power strip cord. The bottom of the cabinet would be open to allow wires to come out easily but would make things look much neater and would prevent me from having to have a power strip sitting on the dinette bench seat.
    The section of wall between the large windows seems quite firm. I suspect some careful drilling and some wall anchors would be adequate for hanging this small cabinet. Has anybody mounted anything in this space and have any feedback to offe​r?

Originally posted by VictorP View Post
    The section of wall between the large windows seems quite firm. I suspect some careful drilling and some wall anchors would be adequate for hanging this small cabinet. Has anybody mounted anything in this space and have any feedback to offe​r?
    The wall is not as sturdy as you may believe. Below is a piece of wall I kept after drilling out a vent hole for a dryer. This is from a Reflection, so the wall in your Imagine may be a bit thinner.

Note the construction is fiberglass, luan, styrofoam, then luan again and the inner wall (I believe it's also a type of luan).

When GD plans on mounting something to a wall (interior or exterior) they embed what's called EGS to give screws something to grab. (See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv for more on EGS.) GD does not use more than what is needed, so anywhere you don't see an OEM cabinet or fixture mounted to the wall it's unlikely there's EGS.

The cabinet described sounds light...but now that you can see how the wall is constructed you'll have to make your own judgment on whether it will hold or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wall.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	107560
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

VictorP, you might, emphasis on might, be able to mount a backer for your cabinet spanning from window wall framing to window wall framing. The emphasis on might is that the window wall framing (probably aluminum) might not be any wider than the inside flange of the window frame. A stud finder may help determine where the edge of the window wall framing is, or the stud finder might give a false reading as it is moved towards the window opening due to the lower density of the opening.

Maybe you've already considered and discarded other options: It appears that the dinette has benches on each side, any space to mount your power strip to the inside or outside of one of the benches? How about to table support, or the bottom of the table? These locations may not be as readily assessable as a cabinet between the windows but want to toss them out there for consideration.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I'm attaching a snip of the wall drawing from a 2600. In the snip, you can see there are studs at the edge of the windows, and another stud between them. These are very thin, but would be better than trying to put an anchor into the foam wall. I'm not allowed to post full drawings on the forum. But if you'd like a copy of the full drawing, call GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 and let them know you'd like a copy of the following drawing "Sidewall, ODS Backers". ODS stands for "off door side".

Name:	2600.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	107611

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I'm attaching a snip of the wall drawing from a 2600. In the snip, you can see there are studs at the edge of the windows, and another stud between them. These are very thin, but would be better than trying to put an anchor into the foam wall. I'm not allowed to post full drawings on the forum. But if you'd like a copy of the full drawing, call GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 and let them know you'd like a copy of the following drawing "Sidewall, ODS Backers". ODS stands for "off door side".

Name:	2600.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	107611

Jim
          Jim
          In the drawing there appears to be a full width cross member above the windows. Is that EGS or aluminum framing? He might be able to hang the cabinet from that with the backer as John mentions.

VictorP I believe you can verify this is EGS by using a strong magnet - but not sure. Otherwise a good stud finder should work on the vertical stud locations. If you do this be sure to post pictures.

Safe Travels
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim
            In the drawing there appears to be a full width cross member above the windows. Is that EGS or aluminum framing? He might be able to hang the cabinet from that with the backer as John mentions.

VictorP I believe you can verify this is EGS by using a strong magnet - but not sure. Otherwise a good stud finder should work on the vertical stud locations. If you do this be sure to post pictures.

Safe Travels
            Keith
            Those are the alumimum cross members for the slide out. I would not touch those. According to the drawing, there is no EGS in the area being considered, so the magnet will not be useful.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Those are the alumimum cross members for the slide out. I would not touch those. According to the drawing, there is no EGS in the area being considered, so the magnet will not be useful.
              Thanks Jim
              I thought it might be EGS to hold the shade assemblies, but good to know what it actually is. Knowing that I agree not to drill into it.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X