No announcement yet.

Added a generator slide to Reflection 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my old trailer I had to mount a separate deep cycle Rv battery and a 3000 watt inverter to power my CPAP. I also had to put the CPAP in air plane mode so that the heater was off. I think Ill try the generator first and see how it goes. The trailer is brand new and I'm not ready to start drilling and mounting anything in it yet. As long as it will not damage any electrical equipment to run it off the small generator just for the night when boondocking.

Comment

CAMPINGFOOL Should be fine to run the small generator, like I say just make sure not to overload it. With the heater off the CPAP should not need much of an inverter. A bit of googling says they usually draw 30-60 watts. Would not take much of an inverter. I was just thinking a small plug in one. Something like this, or maybe pop for a sine wave one if you wanted:

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-P...s%2C173&sr=8-7
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

This is a great forum and I am looking forward to all the great advice I can get from seasoned Grand Design owners. Thanks for the advice I am going to research this set up.

Comment

CAMPINGFOOL No problem, when you get a chance review our welcome letter, it will help you setup a signature and teach you some tricks.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...welcome-letter
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by CAMPINGFOOL View Post
            In my old trailer I had to mount a separate deep cycle Rv battery and a 3000 watt inverter to power my CPAP. I also had to put the CPAP in air plane mode so that the heater was off. I think Ill try the generator first and see how it goes. The trailer is brand new and I'm not ready to start drilling and mounting anything in it yet. As long as it will not damage any electrical equipment to run it off the small generator just for the night when boondocking.
            Just curious---what are the electrical requirements for a CPAP machine? I know many of the areas we boondock here CO would not allow a generator to run all night. I'm having great luck running my new Reflection 303RLS with the 12v electric double door fridge all night for minimal electrical usage off my LiPO4 battery bank. I have not used my generator now at all this season since I added the solar panels and upgraded my battery bank. This allows us freedom to watch movies and power other devices in the camper from the battery bank. Just a thought.....
            40-year Camping Enthusiast
            2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Most CPAP manufacturers make a cigarette lighter adapter for the CPAP to run off 12 volt - mine was $65 (pre-Covid). The ResMed cpaps are actually 24 volts and the inverter /adapter converts the 12v to 24 v. Looks like a laptop power brick. If you have a humidifier on your cpap, you would need to put it in airplane mode to keep the power draw low.
              Eddie & Kathy
              2021 Imagine 2970RL
              2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
              Houston, TX

Comment

Looking for information. I have a 2022 337 rls fithwheel. I bought a 2500 watt inverter generator to turn on at night to just run my CPAP. When I turn the generator on and nothing is on but the CPAP. I fire up the generator and it runs like it has a substantial load on it. I was hoping with just the CPAP the generator would just idle. Does anyone one know what else could be running to create a load on the generator?

Comment

Originally posted by CAMPINGFOOL View Post
                  Looking for information. I have a 2022 337 rls fithwheel. I bought a 2500 watt inverter generator to turn on at night to just run my CPAP. When I turn the generator on and nothing is on but the CPAP. I fire up the generator and it runs like it has a substantial load on it. I was hoping with just the CPAP the generator would just idle. Does anyone one know what else could be running to create a load on the generator?
                  Off the top of my head I'd guess the converter is charging your batteries. It should be on its own breaker, you can try turning it off.

Neil Citro

Comment

CAMPINGFOOL I don't have an inverter generator, but most generators idle only when there is no load, once load is applied, the engine RPM elevates. I would imagine on the inverter generator you have a similar situation. No load the generator needs minimal power, once any form of load is demanded, the generator must start producing amperage.

Also as Neil suggest, you may be experiencing the converter charging. When you have access to shore power, try unplugging the unit and then immediately plug in to the generator, give the generator and camper 2-3 minutes to stabilize before turning on the CPAP machine.

One other thin is to see what the amperage or wattage you CPAP machine requires. 2500 watts at 120 volts is about 20 amps. If your CPAP is demanding 10 amps, the inverter generator could sound as if it's under load since it's at roughly 50% or more of load.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Battey View Post
                      Thanks but I will be running it in the out position with an exhaust extension. Gonna run a Y from the propane so I can just hit the FOB from inside. Super quiet too!!
                      Have you come up with some way to keep bugs and critters out of the pass through while the generator is in use?
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

Have you come up with some way to keep bugs and critters out of the pass through while the generator is in use?
                        Too bad they did not use https://www.accuride.com/en-us/produ...r-motion-slide or some other flat mount slide. That would allow for window screen to be put in the hole to keep the critters out pretty easily.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I too was thinking of a screen, Jlawles2. Maybe in a frame fitted to the opening and around the sled slides.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Battey View Post
                            Thanks but I will be running it in the out position with an exhaust extension. Gonna run a Y from the propane so I can just hit the FOB from inside. Super quiet too!!
                            I'm on to this idea...originally thinking of using the front compartment to do the same...just bought a 2023 Reflection 320MKS and a week later got the Westinghouse same version of this genny! In the past, we've done a lot of NASCAR over the years and are currently into NHRA. Unfortunately, if we had neighbors we'd have to do a location more suited for them, but this is what I was thinking! On another related thought, I believe NASCAR has mandated the Venturi exhaust devices in all RV spaces to get emissions up in the air, so I'm wondering is some type of same product could be used in these 4500's? I had one for my old Onan 5500 Marquis Gold, and I'm wondering if something couldn't be rigged to do the same?
                            Sean & Maureen Haney
                            2023 Reflection 320MKS
                            Pulled By a 2017 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L 4WD Dually

Comment

Working...
                            X