Wall Anchors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Anchors?

I have a 2017 Reflection fifth wheel and was thinking of mounting a horizontal 3ft. board with 3 or 4 coat hooks (mounted to it) to the inside (exterior wall) wall at the top of my steps -- across from the bathroom door. I had some plastic hooks that adhered to the wall (wall paper) but they have broken after a couple years. Can I mount a board to the inside (exterior wall) wall of the trailer. Anyone ever done something like that? Maybe I need to stick to the plastic, surface stick mount types? I am a little nervous penetrating that wall with anything.
    Andy
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

You could use a stud finder to locate the aluminum structure in that wall and anchor your board to those. You could also contact GD Customer Service with your VIN and ask for the wall print for the door side. This print will be viewed from the inside out and show the location of the aluminum wall structure, they will ask that you not share this information, others here with a 303 may already have that info to help you.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you have cool damp mornings go out and look at the wall. It's possible you can see every metallic framing member in the wall due to the condensation.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Brian and Joseph - thanks for the response! I don't store my trailer at home (and have it in covered storage at the location) but if I am out on the road the dew/condensation method will be something to look for. Joseph - I will look into the GD Customer Service solution. I am guessing I would have to use a sheet metal screw to anchor to the aluminum studs. Maybe the GD drawings will have dimensions (thickness) on the walls...don't want to pop something through! :-(
        Andy
        2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Brian and Joseph - contacted the Grand Design customer service and they sent me the drawings -- i should be all set. They also recommended using a magnet to help with locating metal studs. Very helpful! Thanks for the guidance.
          Andy
          2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Andy+Mo View Post
            Brian and Joseph - contacted the Grand Design customer service and they sent me the drawings -- i should be all set. They also recommended using a magnet to help with locating metal studs. Very helpful! Thanks for the guidance.
            LOL. GDRV says to use a magnet to find the studs. They are aluminum. The only item you can use the magnet for is the sheet metal for certain mounting points.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Andy,
              I want to do the same thing. Did you put up your board? Was it successful?
              Sandy

Comment

We have had coat hooks in this area for several years. The board is fastened to the wall with the screws that came with it in the predetermined locations. I doubt that any of them hit a wall stud . . . and if they did, it would make little difference because the aluminum is so thin-wall that it is not much better than the luan wall ply at holding a screw. We are cautious not to hang heavy things on these hooks, but have had no issues.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3289.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	126933 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3290.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	126934
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Andy+Mo View Post
                  I have a 2017 Reflection fifth wheel and was thinking of mounting a horizontal 3ft. board with 3 or 4 coat hooks (mounted to it) to the inside (exterior wall) wall at the top of my steps -- across from the bathroom door. I had some plastic hooks that adhered to the wall (wall paper) but they have broken after a couple years. Can I mount a board to the inside (exterior wall) wall of the trailer. Anyone ever done something like that? Maybe I need to stick to the plastic, surface stick mount types? I am a little nervous penetrating that wall with anything.
                  These work well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031s.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	126949
                  I used them to attach a paper towel holder and a wall mounted knife block and TP holder in the bath. No issues.

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A caution on using expanding “toggler” anchors on exterior walls . . . these walls are full of foam, so getting the anchor to expand inside the wall can be a problem.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      A caution on using expanding “toggler” anchors on exterior walls . . . these walls are full of foam, so getting the anchor to expand inside the wall can be a problem.

Rob
                      Very correct Rob. It can be a pain. I have an assortment of picks and use the 90 degree one to create two small voids (1/8") just inside the wall on the interior face for the wings to expand. I then make sure to insert the toggle is in that orientation.

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

So....Kate&Rob, where did you get that hanging rack? Thanks Rob and Keith (Yoda), good info!

Comment

sanandandy

We have no recollection of where this rack came from . . . it was many years ago. I see several similar versions on Amazon, but usually with only a couple of attachment screws. Look for one with multiple attachments to the wall, to spread the load.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by sanandandy View Post
                            So....Kate&Rob, where did you get that hanging rack? Thanks Rob and Keith (Yoda), good info!
                            If you're referring to my knife rack, I think I got it off of Etsy Google wooden hanging knife rack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0026s.jpg Views:	64 Size:	18.3 KB ID:	126963Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0025s.jpg Views:	56 Size:	18.9 KB ID:	126964
                            Towel rack came for Walmart I think.

Here is another thread for ideas. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...hanging-things

Keith
                            Last edited by Yoda; 01-27-2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

sanandandy

As a follow-up to post 8 . . . I happened to come across the coat rack that we used, while shopping for something else at Home Depot. Slightly different stain colour, but still available.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	127727
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X