Wall Fastener For Hanging Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Fastener For Hanging Things

Moderator Note: Post copied from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...-in-the-bathrm -Howard

These work and are still holding. A trick I learned is slightly undersized the hole before installation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_8431.jpg Views:	409 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	75705
    Last edited by howson; 02-24-2023, 06:30 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

See post 6 for an update
    Tried to find the Toggler in the local area today and, after a bit of internet sleuthing, discovered this type of fastener is typically identified as a "pop toggle". The local Ace Hardware has it under the Hillman brand.

The key is the depth (or thickness of the wall) so I'm going to stick with Keith's 1/8" recommendation. (Appreciate the info, Yoda )

Now to get on with the DW's coat rack project...

Click image for larger version  Name:	pop toggle.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	80465
    Last edited by howson; 04-01-2022, 08:10 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda and Cate&Rob (or any other member who knows) -- the "pop toggle" type of fastener is for a hollow wall, right? From the pictures on the Toggler box the "walls" are what I'd call interior walls in our campers.

What about the an exterior wall (filled with foam). Wife wants to hang things (inside the trailer) to an outside wall.

Same fastener or a different type?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Yoda and Cate&Rob (or any other member who knows) -- the "pop toggle" type of fastener is for a hollow wall, right? From the pictures on the Toggler box the "walls" are what I'd call interior walls in our campers.

What about the an exterior wall (filled with foam). Wife wants to hang things (inside the trailer) to an outside wall.

Same fastener or a different type?
        Howard
        I used the toggler on an outside wall too for my knife rack and towel rack install. It takes some effort getting them in, but they do work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025s.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	80477 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026s.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	80478
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson Howard, after you drill the hole, use a bent paper clip or coat hanger wire to make a cavity for the "wings" to expand into. This should help make it easier to install.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	pop toggle.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	80465
            Do NOT buy these Hillman Pop-Toggles. They are junk. The plastic part (which serves as the "nut" for the screw) strips immediately with little to no torque. I could not get these things to snug up.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Do NOT buy these Hillman Pop-Toggles. They are junk. The plastic part (which serves as the "nut" for the screw) strips immediately with little to no torque. I could not get these things to snug up.
              Sorry to hear that. I did not have that issue with the Toggler. Were you able t get them out? If not, try the next larger screw size and us one with a very heavy thread (wood screw). Maybe that will work. To get them out. us a thin screw driver that you can push through the hole to elongate the wings again, then gently pull back on the insert.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Sorry to hear that. I did not have that issue with the Toggler. Were you able t get them out? If not, try the next larger screw size and us one with a very heavy thread (wood screw). Maybe that will work. To get them out. us a thin screw driver that you can push through the hole to elongate the wings again, then gently pull back on the insert.

Keith
                Yes, they came out without too much of a hassle. Long story not worth repeating but the DW's vacuum is up on the bedroom wall (and there's no holes you can see). The next trip will validate if it's secure enough. (Lots of pillows will be underneath just in case.)

Howard & Francine

Comment

Has anyone tried these and have any feedback? Was going to try them on an outside wall to hang items. I will add a hanging wire to the picture but did not know if they would pull out or not. Puts 2 snake bite holes in the wall.

I have tried nano tape and magnets but did not work to my satisfaction.

SATA Adventurers
                  Steve and Tina
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS
                  2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by SATA Adventures View Post
                    Has anyone tried these and have any feedback? Was going to try them on an outside wall to hang items. I will add a hanging wire to the picture but did not know if they would pull out or not. Puts 2 snake bite holes in the wall.

I have tried nano tape and magnets but did not work to my satisfaction.

Are you saying outside trailer wall (on the outside of the trailer), or an interior outside wall. I would never put a hole on the outside (outside) wall. I got the togglers to work on an interior outside wall with not much effort. Also a good stud finder works at finding the aluminum studs.
                    Keith

Comment

Yoda Oh never a hole on the outside wall!!! I did mean and interior outside wall in my question. I did use them last night and they hold a frame that magnets would not. This sits pretty flush to the wall and with the sharp hooks dig into the wall about 1/4-3/8" inch and creates a strong hold.
                      SATA Adventurers
                      Steve and Tina
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Yoda and btw .. they put small snake bit type holes in the wall and not big holes from a fastener or toggle. That was one of my criteria to maintain that freshness. If I remove them the small snake bit holes can be filled with nail patch very easily and not noticeable.
                        SATA Adventurers
                        Steve and Tina
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Please tell me what is a "good" stud finder? My $80 Zircon H4 does not like my 381M walls.
                          Thank you!
                          2021 Momentum 381M-R
                          2012 Ford F350 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Kmac View Post
                            Please tell me what is a "good" stud finder? My $80 Zircon H4 does not like my 381M walls.
                            Thank you!
                            I have 2 Zircon's one has a metal stud finder setting, It works, but the bottom line cheesy one still find them if I move very slowly.
                            Keith

Comment

Also, don't be surprised if there aren't studs where you think there should be studs. The reinforcement for composite panels is far different than that for a wood frame house. Your stud finder may be working just fine, it's just telling you that there are no studs.
                              John
                              2018 Momentum 395M
                              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                              X