Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh water tank under the north-south bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water tank under the north-south bed?

I have two problems and one potential solution for both. I am just brainstorming and would love to hear some thoughts on this.

Problem one:
    When I have my garage loaded the driving characteristics on the highway take a turn for the worse and lead me to believe that I need more tongue weight. It tows perfect when the garage is empty.

Problem two:
    I was told that I should not travel with a full fresh water tank. Finding a place to fill up with fresh water near a boondocking location can be difficult.

Solution:
    Put a 100 gallon fresh water tank under the bed up front. This is a north-south bed of course and will not need to slide. This will add about 800lb of tongue weight and somewhat off-set the weight of my two heavy motorcycles. When I get to my boondocking location I can transfer the water to the other tank as needed.

Concerns:
    Can the floor under the bed handle the load? Things that I have not thought about.

What do you all think?

Trib
    2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
    2021 Momentum 320G
    2021 Road Glide Limited
    See you down the road!!

I pulled the drawings on your 320G. Your fresh water tank is actually behind the axles, so even if it was recommended to haul with a full load of water, it wouldn't help your imbalance situation.

I don't think anyone can accurately answer your question about adding 800# of water under the bed. We'd need to understand the structure design and materials to give an accurate answer.

Here's one possible solution. You have a gray tank very near the front of the RV. The tank model is HT466 which I believe holds 43 gallons. This gray tank captures the water from the bathroom sink and shower, and the kitchen sink. I'm wondering if you could put some water in the gray tank before traveling and then drain it (if legal) when you get to your destination. If you do this before using the bathroom or kitchen sinks, then it is pretty much just fresh water.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I pulled the drawings on your 320G. Your fresh water tank is actually behind the axles, so even if it was recommended to haul with a full load of water, it wouldn't help your imbalance situation.

I don't think anyone can accurately answer your question about adding 800# of water under the bed. We'd need to understand the structure design and materials to give an accurate answer.

Here's one possible solution. You have a gray tank very near the front of the RV. The tank model is HT466 which I believe holds 43 gallons. This gray tank captures the water from the bathroom sink and shower, and the kitchen sink. I'm wondering if you could put some water in the gray tank before traveling and then drain it (if legal) when you get to your destination. If you do this before using the bathroom or kitchen sinks, then it is pretty much just fresh water.

Jim
      Jim, thanks for the idea. This would help my sway issue provided my front gray tank does not fall out while bouncing down the road. Maybe others will weigh in on this discussion.
      Trib
      2021 Momentum 320G
      2021 Road Glide Limited
      See you down the road!!

Comment

TribForce if you can get to a scale with your trailer with motorcycles, and then with just your truck, that would provide some actual weights to help us help you. You might not need the 800# of water under the bed. Also, what are you doing or how are you transporting your drinking water now?
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

You could also try some sand bags, would be less of a mess if there is a failure. There are also water bladders which some use to transport water when dry camping when they run out of water.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            TribForce if you can get to a scale with your trailer with motorcycles, and then with just your truck, that would provide some actual weights to help us help you. You might not need the 800# of water under the bed. Also, what are you doing or how are you transporting your drinking water now?
            I do plan to weigh everything as you suggest. I fill my fresh tank as close to my final destination as possible when boondocking.
            Trib
            2021 Momentum 320G
            2021 Road Glide Limited
            See you down the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              You could also try some sand bags, would be less of a mess if there is a failure. There are also water bladders which some use to transport water when dry camping when they run out of water.

Brian
              These are great ideas as well. The next time I get things loaded up and on the road I will stop at my local loves and see what I am actually dealing with. I have weighed the truck before, just not with the camper. My local dealer thought GD would be able to tell me what the under bed weight limit should be.
              Trib
              2021 Momentum 320G
              2021 Road Glide Limited
              See you down the road!!

Comment

A logistic problem with using water for weight on the trip out, and then consuming that water at the destination is what to do for weight on the return trip? If the gray and black tanks are ahead of the axle, you may be okay, unless you plan to dump the tanks before travelling. Sandbags or steel plates would provide a consistent weight.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                  A logistic problem with using water for weight on the trip out, and then consuming that water at the destination is what to do for weight on the return trip? If the gray and black tanks are ahead of the axle, you may be okay, unless you plan to dump the tanks before travelling. Sandbags or steel plates would provide a consistent weight.
                  Do other people travel with full tanks? Maybe I am worrying too much about it.
                  Last edited by TribForce; 11-26-2023, 05:53 PM.
                  Trib
                  2021 Momentum 320G
                  2021 Road Glide Limited
                  See you down the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by TribForce View Post

Do other people travel with full tanks? Maybe I am worrying too much about it.
                    I pretty much always travel with my fresh tank full, usually not the holding tanks, but if leaving a dry camping site with no dump station it happens. I have reinforced my fresh tank and am confident that there is no way for it to come loose or fall out.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I pretty much always travel with my fresh tank full, usually not the holding tanks, but if leaving a dry camping site with no dump station it happens. I have reinforced my fresh tank and am confident that there is no way for it to come loose or fall out.
                      Someone pointed out that if my camper has a full fresh tank it will only exacerbate my light pin weight problem. Having a full front gray tank will help. I wish these campers were constructed in a way that they were certified for travel with full tanks.
                      Trib
                      2021 Momentum 320G
                      2021 Road Glide Limited
                      See you down the road!!

Comment

Someone pointed out that if my camper has a full fresh tank it will only exacerbate my light pin weight problem. Having a full front gray tank will help. I wish these campers were constructed in a way that they were certified for travel with full tanks.
                        On our 2017 Reflection 297RSTS travel trailer, I took some photos of the fresh tank when I dropped the underbelly. It had three metal reinforcing straps to keep it in place. I frequently took it on camping trips in the desert with full tanks. Here's a shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	130142520_137197347930321_2174560587821533801_n.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	124516

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The holding tanks are supported from a flange that runs around the perimeter of the tank (a part of the mold). I would think they would have a hard time falling out IF the supporting brackets are tight to the tank. When I reinforced my fresh tank I found one of the brackets could be moved closer to the tank wall eliminating some "slop" in the fitment. If you are truly worried about it the only answer is to drop your coroplast and put eyes on it to see how secure the tank is.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I am planning the bed build on my truck. My intention is to install a tank on either side of the frame between the cab and rear tires. 100 gal for fresh water and 100 gal for gray/black. I would pump the fresh water into my camper after arriving and, if no dump station is available, pump the waste tanks back to the truck before heading out. I could then put sand bags under the bed to compensate for the motorcycles in the garage.
                            Trib
                            2021 Momentum 320G
                            2021 Road Glide Limited
                            See you down the road!!

Comment

Working...
                            X