No announcement yet.

Mounting coat hooks on exterior walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting coat hooks on exterior walls?

Hi all. We have a new 2020 17MKE and are wanting to add some coat hooks beside the door. Are there any recommended fasteners or locations (e.g wall stud locations) that I should screw in to? We just came back fro our first 2-nighter and enjoyed the unit very much. All appliances worked but that Murphy bed mattress is going to be a challenge...while it was flatter and warmer than sleeping on the bare ground, it was only slightly softer than said bare ground....I understand there is a memory foam topper that could work. Any advice/wisdom/guidance on these items is appreciated!
    2019 F150 Lariat (5.0, 3.73 7000 GVWR, Tow)
    2020 2600RB

Tapping on the wall will help find the studs, also a stud finder would work.

Can't help with the bed but agree that anything is better than the ground.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Command hooks are your friend
      2019 Reflection 315RLTS
      2018 RAM 2500

Comment

Originally posted by RickinCalgary View Post
        Hi all. We have a new 2020 17MKE and are wanting to add some coat hooks beside the door. Are there any recommended fasteners or locations (e.g wall stud locations) that I should screw in to? We just came back fro our first 2-nighter and enjoyed the unit very much. All appliances worked but that Murphy bed mattress is going to be a challenge...while it was flatter and warmer than sleeping on the bare ground, it was only slightly softer than said bare ground....I understand there is a memory foam topper that could work. Any advice/wisdom/guidance on these items is appreciated!
        Recent video from All About RVs I found interesting and informative on the subject:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Fl2GaScotts View Post
          Command hooks are your friend
          Not necessarily . . . the bond between the command strip and the wall paper can be greater than the bond between the wall paper and the luan plywood underneath. There are several examples of command strip hooks carrying heavy loads, stripping the wallpaper from the wall. If the hook is holding a light weight picture . . . no problem. If the hook is carrying your wet winter coat . . . this does not bode well for your wall paper.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This previous post might prove of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...s-and-brackets
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

We added small coat hangers under our island countertop which has been working well for us.
              Michael & Nyla
              2016 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 RAM Laramie Diesel 2500

Comment

Originally posted by michael bellish View Post
                We added small coat hangers under our island countertop which has been working well for us.
                Great idea.....have not seen anyone posting or sharing pictures with this option before. Thanks, for sharing.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

If you cant find a stud, get some wall mollies made for the thin wall facing material . They are a bit tough to get to spread out in the outside wall, but they do work.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda -- yes, I guess I watch too much YouTube.

RickinCalgary -- more options in the video linked above, just be aware there is no air gap behind the luan so the holders that must spread out like the one shown below won't work in our trailer walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toggle.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	17373

This is a cross-section of what the walls look like (except for the Transcend series, obviously):

Name:	Cutout.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	17374
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Yoda -- yes, I guess I watch too much YouTube.

RickinCalgary -- more options in the video linked above, just be aware there is no air gap behind the luan so the holders that must spread out like the one shown below won't work in our trailer walls.

Name:	toggle.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	17373

This is a cross-section of what the walls look like (except for the Transcend series, obviously):

Name:	Cutout.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	17374
                      Yep we both have too much time on our hands. YouTube video was good information. I have used just about everyone he showed at one time
                      or another. Does that make me old???? or valuable antique!
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yep we both have too much time on our hands. YouTube video was good information. I have used just about everyone he showed at one time
                        or another. Does that make me old???? or valuable antique!
                        YES!!!!!
                        2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
                        2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                        Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                        FMCA # 489460

Comment

Wow, that was great input from everyone...many thanks! I spoke to GD customer service and they steered me away from drilling into the foam insulated walls. Those sticky hooks are an option but I don’t want to tear off the interior finishing. After discussion with my wife, and a review of the towing capability of our truck, and the lack of enthusiasm for Murphy bed for long term use, we have decided to look at a 2600rb...it has a shoe cubby and coat hooks. Interesting factoid is that one YouTube video described a small coat closet by the doorway as a “Canadian” closet...Seriously? We can’t be the only ones grabbing a jacket and a hat while camping in July! Best regards!
                          2019 F150 Lariat (5.0, 3.73 7000 GVWR, Tow)
                          2020 2600RB

Comment

RickinCalgary

Another way to come at this is to use what amounts to a reinforcing block across the wall surface with multiple fasteners and multiple hooks. I did get two of the screws into a wall stud, but the other 6 are coarse thread (sheet metal type) screws into pre-drilled pilot holes in the wall board. We are still careful as to what we hang on these hooks, but the fastening to the wall has remained solid for a long time.

BTW . . . the "Canadian" closet by the door isn't for coats . . . its for the emergency supply of Canadian Club .

Rob
                            Attached Files
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              RickinCalgary

Another way to come at this is to use what amounts to a reinforcing block across the wall surface with multiple fasteners and multiple hooks. I did get two of the screws into a wall stud, but the other 6 are coarse thread (sheet metal type) screws into pre-drilled pilot holes in the wall board. We are still careful as to what we hang on these hooks, but the fastening to the wall has remained solid for a long time.

BTW . . . the "Canadian" closet by the door isn't for coats . . . its for the emergency supply of Canadian Club .

Rob
                              Rob - where did you install your coat hanger board ? I bought one like that a few years ago but did not install due to concerns about where to install. I wanted to install on the curb side wall just outside the bedroom door but was concerned about no wood studs to anchor at least one contact point,

Thanks, Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X