Electric Jack Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Jack Power Consumption

I am doing an energy audit, and I am looking for how much power the leveling jacks use. I have Solitude 2930RL with the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 electric jacks (4 of them). Short of calling Lippert I am hoping someone has a good estimate.
    Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
    2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

I never thought of that and never looked at my touch screen to see what ah I had left after setup, jacks and slides. If I were to guess it would be about 5 or 10 ah.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The biggest thing would be motor duration during leveling. Also depending on how your unit is loaded will affect the leveling system. The more heavily loaded and corrective input needed from the jacks, the more amps it will draw.

You have the option to leave the TV attached even during leveling just by unhooking and leaving the whip hooked up. If the TV is running, it can provide up to 30 amps of current flow to the camper. This is making the assumption that you are still running traditional batteries or a DC to DC charger.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

This is just a WAG, I'm going to guess about 15-20 amps each when it's lifting the trailer? Maybe 5 when it's just dropping to the ground.
        I've never put a clip on around a jack wire..I think I will in the spring.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I am thinking 30ish amp because I know I had an issue where the auto reset fuse would trip while leveling. This apparently know issue with, at least, the 2930s that GD fix was to go to a 50A fuse.
          Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
          2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
          2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

According to the Solitude owner's manual, the leveling system runs up to 95 amps (temporary load).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leveling Current.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	128737

According to eTrailer, it could possibly run 140 amps, but I think that is a guess on their part:
            https://www.etrailer.com/question-420686.html

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The OP's question states he's looking for the power consumed. To be technical... ... power is measured in watts, thus voltage x amps. As already mentioned in this thread, the power consumed is dependent on a number of variables.

What I wonder (never tried it) is if an owner with a Victron SmartShunt or BMV-712 could reset the History immediately prior to using a high-demand 12vDC appliance. When complete, immediately review the History and record the data. By repeating this test over multiple deployments and retractions of an electric leveling setup at multiple campsites, a true picture will emerge of the average power consumption.

Another option may be to review the Trends data over the time frame of the leveler usage.

Below is a snip of the BMV-712's Trends screen using VictronConnect on my computer with the Current and Voltage options selected. My camper has nothing on but the minimum required draws and, of course, the Victron stuff and Winegard WiFi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	183
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	128739

To eliminate as many variables as possible, if I was to try to run a test I'd turn off solar, the RV's converter, and any auxiliary input like the truck. In other words, the only 12vDC source would be a fully charged battery bank.

Jimmer and Country Campers -- could you guys do this test? Might be very interesting to see the results. (I don't have a leveling system on my rig.) Just posting the resulting Trends screen could tell quite the story. TucsonJim has a hydraulic system (and a heavier rig) so if he did this test I'd expect it would be much different.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Do the motors have nameplates/tags that give the motor electrical characteristics? Usually voltage and max current. Sometimes hp rating. 1 hp = 745 watts
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

howson

I can do the test but, I would have to hook the truck up and start from scratch and it is very cold today and I am not opening up the garage. The test I think would tell the tale would be to start with full charged battery and hooked up to truck, unhook, auto level, extend slides and see total ah used.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
                    I am doing an energy audit, and I am looking for how much power the leveling jacks use. I have Solitude 2930RL with the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 electric jacks (4 of them). Short of calling Lippert I am hoping someone has a good estimate.
                    Not sure what you’re looking for, amps or watts. Either way the only way to tell on your rig is to test it yourself.
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RV2600RB View Post

Not sure what you’re looking for, amps or watts. Either way the only way to tell on your rig is to test it yourself.
                      Rich
                      DC amp clamps are not that expensive and have lots of uses. No guessing required.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I have the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 you may find it local at the orange box store https://www.homedepot.com/s/Klein%20...20CL800?NCNI-5 . Howard found a southward one that was comparable in specs and the price fluctuates around the Klein one and can be cheaper. Check out the buying options as it appears you might be able to save quite a bit https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Equ...s%2C149&sr=1-1
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X