Electric Jack - Clicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaschembra
    Hi Julie & Doug . . . just catching up to this thread.

I do have a "clicking" noise that comes from one of my landing gear struts. This happens when the weight is removed and only for a short distance of travel on one strut. It has been doing this since new (10 years ago ) and this has never caused a functional problem. I always assumed this was some damage caused prior to delivery to me. When my landing gear is carrying weight, I do not hear this noise . . . if you do, this could be something more serious.

I have had my landing gear out and completely disassembled. I specifically looked for some type of damage on the threaded rod in the area that makes the noise and could find nothing obvious. My system uses one motor to drive both legs. The fit of the inner square tube to the outer square tube is very loose (by design apparently).

The upper (outer) square tube is U bolted to the frame inside the front compartment. This is where I would look for signs of the "twisted" leg being out of position. Solving this could be as simple as loosening the U bolts and squaring up the leg. With independent drive motors, the "twist" to one leg may be insignificant . . . as long as the fastening U bolts are secure.

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

jaschembra

Here is a thread that might be helpful in your investigation, Lubricating the landing gears - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ A long read but there are some pictures that I posted there about the inner workings of the jack and motor.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        jaschembra

Here is a thread that might be helpful in your investigation, Lubricating the landing gears - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ A long read but there are some pictures that I posted there about the inner workings of the jack and motor.

Brian
        Country Campers You did good with those pictures. Doug relates it to elevators that operated in a similar fashion (retired Elevator Mechanic). Thanks!
        Julie & Doug (& Finley)
        2023 Reflection 337RLS
        2011 Ford F350 SD 6.7 turbo

Comment

What size is the hose that fits over the screw?
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            What size is the hose that fits over the screw?
            I will have to measure when I get home, unless someone has that info handy, but I think the screw is 1" diameter.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              jaschembra

Brian

Good reminder. I was the OP of that thread and I hate to admit it but I've done nothing about putting lubrication on my jacks in the last 6 months. Am I the only procrastinator on this forum? Got to get a round tuit.
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Good reminder. I was the OP of that thread and I hate to admit it but I've done nothing about putting lubrication on my jacks in the last 6 months. Am I the only procrastinator on this forum? Got to get a round tuit.
                No you are not the only procrastinator, lol. I have greased mine once and it is a pita and I do not think much grease gets up to the nut, where the grease needs to be. I will probably do mine again this year.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Brian, when you pulled the landing gear apart, what was holding the lead screw into the top of the tube? Kinda hard to tell from the pictures if it's pushed up from the bottom or if the motor holds it in place.

It kinda looks like the lead screw is inserted from the bottom up into the tube through the thrust plate.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Country Campers Brian, when you pulled the landing gear apart, what was holding the lead screw into the top of the tube? Kinda hard to tell from the pictures if it's pushed up from the bottom or if the motor holds it in place.

It kinda looks like the lead screw is inserted from the bottom up into the tube through the thrust plate.
                    The lead screw is pushed up from the bottom, then the drive coupler is attached to the end at the top with a pin. There are a few washers under the drive coupler to take up some slop that is built in.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian.

I'll take a bit of time and see if I can figure out where to put the grease fitting so that the grease ends up in the right places. Might just punch a hole and use my needle to put grease on the screw.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'd be inclined to poke a hole through the upper tab to get access to the screw. Lowering the leg a bit to get the nut past that spot would give access to the screw above the nut. A needle on a grease gun would work. Tape over the hole or find a plug to close it. Grease on the drill bit will capture the drilling chips. One of my round tuits. CRC has a bike chain/open gear lube spray.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          I'd be inclined to poke a hole through the upper tab to get access to the screw. Lowering the leg a bit to get the nut past that spot would give access to the screw above the nut. A needle on a grease gun would work. Tape over the hole or find a plug to close it. Grease on the drill bit will capture the drilling chips. One of my round tuits. CRC has a bike chain/open gear lube spray.
                          I'm liking the idea of a spray lube through an access hole. Grease probably is better but a more frequent application of oil would work fine. The terminology of the parts of the jack are kinda confusing to me, but if I understand it correctly the nut is affixed to the inside square tube that extends/retracts. If the exact dimension from the bottom of that tube to the top of the nut were known, then a hole could be drilled about a half inch above the nut and oil could be applied there.

By extending and retracting a few times, the oil would be spread out over the screw. Tell me what I'm missing here??
                          2020 Reflection 273MK
                          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

The open chain and cable lube is "sticky" and literally does not run like std oil. Evn 140wt gear oil in the jack housing will most likely run through the tolerance of the threads on the rod and the nut.

I'd be most likely using a NLGI #1 lube (little thinner than the std #2 for lower temp). Ideally if you could get this stuff on rod when extended at a slightly more extended than normal it would work. https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-B...xoC5GwQAvD_BwE it comes out of the bottle like water and turns to a waxy substance after a few minutes.

I'd be tempted to use https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-100-...nt-grease-gwr/ although it is a #2. Even white lithium would work on the lead screw threads if you could apply a more than liberal amount.

Thinking about it, 5th wheel grease may be a decent option.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I was tempted to pick up a can of Lucas Red N Tacky spray.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                                The open chain and cable lube is "sticky" and literally does not run like std oil. Evn 140wt gear oil in the jack housing will most likely run through the tolerance of the threads on the rod and the nut.

I'd be most likely using a NLGI #1 lube (little thinner than the std #2 for lower temp). Ideally if you could get this stuff on rod when extended at a slightly more extended than normal it would work. https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-B...xoC5GwQAvD_BwE it comes out of the bottle like water and turns to a waxy substance after a few minutes.

I'd be tempted to use https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-100-...nt-grease-gwr/ although it is a #2. Even white lithium would work on the lead screw threads if you could apply a more than liberal amount.

Thinking about it, 5th wheel grease may be a decent option.

If the lube were to be applied through a hole drilled in the square tube, it's going to be a question of what is the best lube that's available in a spray can. It may not be the best lube, but a means for convenient application would allow more frequent application.

So, if this is a possible solution, where would be the best place on the leg to drill a hole? As mentioned, extend the lower leg as far as possible and drill hole right below the larger fixed square tube? I think I need a good drawing of the jack.
                                2020 Reflection 273MK
                                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                                X