Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend Retract switch failure 3rd one

2019 Reflection 150 series, 295RL
    The Extend / Retract switch has failed for the 3rd time. It alwasy seems mechanical.
    However, I noticed this time, the motor sounds "weak" and once I released the button it was never able to be pressed again, in either direction.
    So, I disconnect the red/black wires from the quick wire connectors (on the motor, that go to the switch) and connect a portable battery jumper.
    Motor sounds great, the power to lift and lower is great.

Got a NEW battery in the rig so, that shouldn't be an issue.

So, quesiton.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm starting to wonder if the current draw for the motor is more than the switches are really rated for and are heating them up, thus causing mechanical failure.
    I opened the last one up and the plastics were all brittle.

Any help appreciated

The switch should be rated for at least 30 amps, DC.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I have not had that issue with the switch. I wonder if there is a loose connection somewhere, seems to be lots of jumper wires on the back of the panel.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240423_151522_Google.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	132630
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHoffman View Post
          Has anyone else had this issue? I'm starting to wonder if the current draw for the motor is more than the switches are really rated for and are heating them up, thus causing mechanical failure. I opened the last one up and the plastics were all brittle.
          Not a normal failure, David. Rare (from my perspective) for them to fail. What is the source of the replacements that have been installed? If you have a part number or link to the switch one of us can take a look to see if the specs are appropriate.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHoffman View Post
            2019 Reflection 150 series, 295RL
            The Extend / Retract switch has failed for the 3rd time. It alwasy seems mechanical.
            However, I noticed this time, the motor sounds "weak" and once I released the button it was never able to be pressed again, in either direction.
            So, I disconnect the red/black wires from the quick wire connectors (on the motor, that go to the switch) and connect a portable battery jumper.
            Motor sounds great, the power to lift and lower is great.

Got a NEW battery in the rig so, that shouldn't be an issue.

So, quesiton.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm starting to wonder if the current draw for the motor is more than the switches are really rated for and are heating them up, thus causing mechanical failure.
            I opened the last one up and the plastics were all brittle.

Any help appreciated
            David I assume were talking about the landing gear switch, and not the slide switch? I did have one go bad and replaced it. I don't remember where I got it but I made sure is was a larger amperage then the OEM. Also look over the jack motor wiring. I found the ground (white wires) loose in a wire nut.

If it is the slide switch it ties to a controller (pass through ceiling) that get its power from the power bar (far right connection) located in the front bay (lower right corner under a black plastic cover. BTW even new batterys can be bad, If you have the time get it tested.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

When DavidHoffman connected the motor directly to a battery (portable battery jumper) it worked as expected. Would this indicate a bad self-resetting breaker, or possibly a poor contact?
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

DavidHoffman

Could you please let us know which motor you are referring to?

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  DavidHoffman

Could you please let us know which motor you are referring to?

Brian

The Front Landing Gear Motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

David I assume were talking about the landing gear switch, and not the slide switch? I did have one go bad and replaced it. I don't remember where I got it but I made sure is was a larger amperage then the OEM. Also look over the jack motor wiring. I found the ground (white wires) loose in a wire nut.

If it is the slide switch it ties to a controller (pass through ceiling) that get its power from the power bar (far right connection) located in the front bay (lower right corner under a black plastic cover. BTW even new batterys can be bad, If you have the time get it tested.

Keith
                    Yeah, the front landing gear. The switch (for this unit) is up near the nose of the front cap. I have purchased a entire replacement, wiring and all and am moving the switch and going to direct connect it to the battery (at least for now).

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      The switch should be rated for at least 30 amps, DC.
                      Yeah, and when I spoke to the Lippert tech, I asked if the switches they send/sell/ whatever were rated for that. There are no solenoids that are activated so a lot of current is flowing through those switches. I also asked if there is a duty cycle on long up/down lifts of the front legs, and she said no.

I ordered a complete replacement. I'll post my video in a couple of weeks on this.

Stay tuned

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Not a normal failure, David. Rare (from my perspective) for them to fail. What is the source of the replacements that have been installed? If you have a part number or link to the switch one of us can take a look to see if the specs are appropriate.

Howard
                        The first switch was a direct replacement from Grand Design. Failed in less than 1 year. The second, was through E-Trailer, failed about 2 years later. The last one was directly from the dealer, seemed heavy duty, failed. I've moved the entire assembly and replaced all wiring (with the new switch).

Video coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X