Dash Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I know the pass through wires are there and can be connected to the up fitter switch pig tails under the hood. Is that what your saying? I did not know the wires from the actual up fitter switches go thru there. Do you happen to have a photo? Sounds like a great way to do it..
    There is a four wire harness coming through the firewall from behind the passenger side battery to the passenger footwell fuse block area. (This is shown in the owners manual, but neither end is as easy to find as shown in the pictures). Connect one of these wires to the output from the selected upfitter switch wire from the upfitter fuse box adjacent to that same battery. Easiest to remove the entire footwell kick panel to attach this wire and pick up a ground screw for a cigarette lighter receptacle. Then, just plug in the camera plug/transformer and everything fits easily behind the kick panel.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

There is a four wire harness coming through the firewall from behind the passenger side battery to the passenger footwell fuse block area. (This is shown in the owners manual, but neither end is as easy to find as shown in the pictures). Connect one of these wires to the output from the selected upfitter switch wire from the upfitter fuse box adjacent to that same battery. Easiest to remove the entire footwell kick panel to attach this wire and pick up a ground screw for a cigarette lighter receptacle. Then, just plug in the camera plug/transformer and everything fits easily behind the kick panel.

Rob
      Thanks
      Now I understand
      Keith

BTW I did change the order to the unit that was on sale for the same price that included the GPS.

ON Edit - It shipped Should be here Tuesday.
      Last edited by Yoda; 02-29-2024, 11:42 AM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It arrived. UPS tried there best to mangle the box some, but the unit was double boxed and well protected. Now to read and understand the user manual and what all the buttons do. It did come with a SD card so I can at least set it up. It also has a USB cable along with the standard power point cable so I think I can power it up on my desktop. Now for the fun. Ill try a find a few videos on the set up. I think there are some on thier site. Ill post a few photos of the install when I get round to it.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

WE use the very basic Garmin webcam and leave it on so it always records. If there is an event we simply tag it then go back and save it. Was an inexpensive camera but decent footage
          Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
          2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
            WE use the very basic Garmin webcam and leave it on so it always records. If there is an event we simply tag it then go back and save it. Was an inexpensive camera but decent footage
            Which one?
            Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
            2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
            2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post

Which one?
              we use the Garmin DC46. As we also use the Garmin 890 as GPS for when we are in travel mode it fits to use the one app for both.
              Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
              2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

I went w the Rove R2-4K dash cam. I have 2 of them one for our car and 2nd now for the tow vehicle. Since we upgraded to a new truck I really wanted it for the “insurance” as discussed. The 2024 chev Silverado fuse ports from what I found were always hot. They would not shut the camera off and would have a draw draining the battery. I asked the dealer and they recommended splicing into the obd line. Wasn’t to keen on that. I finally routed the install kit wiring (which had a usb plug not 12v dc) along the windshield, down the drivers column, under the dash and through to the center box between the driver/passenger seats. I did a very slight cut out for the wire so it wouldn’t crip and in there GM provided an additional usb plug. It’s all completely hidden, provides start up power, shuts off after 60 secs after ignition off, and will provide disturbance power for camera if vehicle is bumped too hard. Garage mode I think they call that.

I enjoy the camera hidden behind rear view mirror. I keep it in power save mode which means it is recording when driving but the screen is dark or black after about 30 secs into use. I also don’t record cabin noise so our voices and communication is not part of the recoding.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	130162
                SATA Adventurers
                Steve and Tina
                2021 Reflection 337RLS
                2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

SATA Adventures Good info Steve. One of my favorite sites for GM wiring is GMUPFITTER.COM the complete wiring book is online and free (upfitter sites are mainly used for incomplete vehicles but GM puts the full completed vehicle info out the for modifications). On Page 7-50 of https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-conten...sid_041123.pdf in the right side fuse panel it looks like you could have tapped into one of the SEO connections for the USB power most likely. This keeps the USB port free since some highly intelligent penny pincher decided to not put power ports in the new trucks. Now I have no where to plug in my air compressor inside the truck.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X