Factory Microwave Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Microwave Replacement

We purchased a 2024 Solitude 390RK, and we would like to upgrade the factory installed microwave with a new microwave convection unit. There is no cabinet above the existing microwave, so this is not a standard installation. Has anyone witnessed the removal procedure, and can a household microwave be installed in its place?
    scooter390RK (Full Time RVer)
    2024 Solitude 390RK w/
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 Crew Cab LB Dually

The microwave or microwave/convection oven are basically the same as residential units with a bracket mounted to the wall behind the unit and then two to three bolts through the top of the unit to hold everything in place. If there is not an upper cabinet above the microwave, I'm assuming that there is some type of brace or crosspiece that the microwave is bolted to.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter390RK View Post
      We purchased a 2024 Solitude 390RK, and we would like to upgrade the factory installed microwave with a new microwave convection unit. There is no cabinet above the existing microwave, so this is not a standard installation. Has anyone witnessed the removal procedure, and can a household microwave be installed in its place?
      What specific make/model is in your Solitude?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

JBill9694 - is mostly correct. The microwave attaches to a standard panel in the back. But since you can't run bolts down from a cabinet, the factory runs screws through the top of the microwave case and up into the wooden header. In my opinion, it's not the most secure mounting method, but I've never heard of one falling.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you for your comments everyone. I have included a photo of the existing Insignia microwave. I am assuming the top horizontal black panel is removable to access the mounting screws?
          2024 Solitude 390RK w/

Comment

I have included a photo of the existing Insignia microwave.
            Hard to make the model #, but it looks like a NS-OTR16SS8Q. The installation manual is here: https://www.manualslib.com/download/...Otr16ss8q.html

It may also be other places online.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I would be concerned about the heat the convection oven will put out in such a confined space with no ventilation.
              Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
              TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
                I would be concerned about the heat the convection oven will put out in such a confined space with no ventilation.
                That's an excellent point. Remember the scorched walls from an earlier model convection oven GD used to use?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Thank you for the link to the manual. This is indeed the model which is currently installed in our fifth wheel. This microwave is also vented out the rear to the outside. Would this be adequate for the convection oven venting?
                  2024 Solitude 390RK w/

Comment

Thank you for the link to the manual. This is indeed the model which is currently installed in our fifth wheel. This microwave is also vented out the rear to the outside. Would this be adequate for the convection oven venting?
                    That would depend on the installation requirements for the appliance you're considering installing. In other words, find a model that looks like it will work but before buying scrutinize the manufacturer's installation manual for specifics that may preclude putting it in your RV. Best to know rather than hope.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Thank you for your help, howson. I finally assembled the necessary info and completed the microwave exchange. Not only was the existing venting capacity adequate, but the camper vent opening lined up exactly with the new microwave’s vent outlet. Sometimes the stars aline.
                      2024 Solitude 390RK w/

Comment

Thank you for your help, howson. I finally assembled the necessary info and completed the microwave exchange. Not only was the existing venting capacity adequate, but the camper vent opening lined up exactly with the new microwave’s vent outlet. Sometimes the stars aline.
                        Out of curiosity, what make and model did you find. Pricing and pics would be great. I just did the door latch micro switch fix on ours for the second time in roughly 6 years.
                        2018 337RLS
                        720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                        disc brakes, ems

Comment

We are needing to replace the glass turntable on our Furrion Microwave/Convection: FMCM15-SS

Can someone help? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JNHun View Post
                            We are needing to replace the glass turntable on our Furrion Microwave/Convection: FMCM15-SS

Can someone help? Thank you.
                            I'd call around to the RV surplus places like Bontragers. https://bontragers.com/

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                            X