No announcement yet.

Lithium Battery Fire - Near Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halotron extinguishers might be a good choice, but I haven't researched how they perform on lithium fires. Dry chemical extinguishers have the additional problem of leaving a very corrosive dust everywhere. Aircraft are generally totaled if a dry chemical one is used on it due to corrosion.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Jim,
      Great share and I'm happy you and everyone is safe!

Having spent close to 15 years as a volunteer firefighter when I was a bit younger and lighter on my feet, your post reminded me it's that time of year when we should all be looking to change out our smoke detector batteries, check fire extinguishers to make sure they're current, and I add in checking my first aid kit as well, and in general think about our overall safety preparedness.
      Your experience and the outcome due to being prepared are a prime example of how important it really is.
      Equally important is how you and your lady "divided & conquered" with her calling 911 and providing them with information on your location, what was happening, and contact information while you addressed the situation - coordinating your efforts showed great teamwork!

Copied this from the NFPA website:

About Fire Prevention Week

Since 1922, the NFPA has sponsored the public observance of Fire Prevention Week. In 1925, President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed Fire Prevention Week a national observance, making it the longest-running public health observance in our country. During Fire Prevention Week, children, adults, and teachers learn how to stay safe in case of a fire. Firefighters provide lifesaving public education in an effort to drastically decrease casualties caused by fires.

Fire Prevention Week is observed each year during the week of October 9th in commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire, which began on October 8, 1871, and caused devastating damage. This horrific conflagration killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures, and burned more than 2,000 acres of land.

Again, very happy you're all safe!
      Chris
      Chris
      2019 Solitude 3740BH
      2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

We are going back to our checklists and see what remains plugged in when we travel and where we stow battery powered items. Glad to know you all are safe after your incident. Good reminder for us to look at what fire extinguishers and how many we have access to when we need them.
        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
          We are going back to our checklists and see what remains plugged in when we travel and where we stow battery powered items. Glad to know you all are safe after your incident. Good reminder for us to look at what fire extinguishers and how many we have access to when we need them.
          We've done the same--everything plugged in that may fall out and jam in a slide is now getting stowed as part of our departure checklist. Don't want to duplicate TucsonJim's experience!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just realized I never posted the resolution to our battery/floor fire. Right after the fire, we spent a few hours cleaning up the fire extinguisher powder with a shop vac and swiffer. We sprayed all the furniture and blinds with Febreeze to deodorize the smoke smell.

Next, I cut out the damaged vinyl flooring and used a Dremel tool to grind away any burned area in the sub-floor. Fortunately, the battery did not burn all the way through the subfloor.

I patched and leveled the subfloor with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty and let it dry overnight.

I removed a section of flooring from the basement and used it to harvest a patch for the living room. Vinyl repair is pretty specialized work, and I won't go into detail on how I did it. If you ever want information on how to patch a floor, send me a PM and we can work through it.

My final step was to cut some rubber material to make a new floor for the basement area.

Here's the final result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patch.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	121875

I made sure to show the new owners the patch which they had a hard time finding.

Jim​​​​​​

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Wow! Amazing work!!!
              Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
              2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Hey TucsonJim what adhesive do you use for the vinyl. We have a spot I have been arguing with myself about fixing. Just a small square from an initial trip where a rock got under the slide roller and gouged a whole in the floor.
                Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Looks good. You have mad skills Jim!
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
                    Hey TucsonJim what adhesive do you use for the vinyl. We have a spot I have been arguing with myself about fixing. Just a small square from an initial trip where a rock got under the slide roller and gouged a whole in the floor.
                    For large sheet vinyl attachment, any sheet vinyl adhesive should do nicely. Something along the lines of this:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Henry-FP00356...7592893&sr=8-4

For the edges or small patches, I use this:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Polyu...70&sr=8-3&th=1

When using either adhesive, it's important to use a seam roller to get the air out of the patch, then place a heavy weight on the patch until it cures.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                    X