Lithium Battery Fire - Near Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Battery Fire - Near Disaster

Many of you know that Ginnie and I lost a GDRV rig to fire in 2016. Since that time, I've given a presentation on emergency preparedness at dozens of rallies across the country. One of the things I stress is to have better fire fighting equipment and training on how to use it.

Well tonight we had Deja Vu. We had another RV fire ignite. But this time we were prepared. We had plenty of fire extinguisher capability and the training on how to use them.
    We were heading out today for a rally in California. But we had a hitch problem which prompted us to return home. When we got home, I put out one of the slides and was met with some of the most intense flames you've ever seen between the bottom of the slide and the floor.

We had departed with a digital camera battery plugged into its charger and inserted into a wall outlet. During our travels, the charger fell out of the outlet and eventually wedged itself under the slide out. When the slide out was extended, the battery case was punctured and ignited. It was one of the most intense fires I've ever seen. I immediately grabbed an extinguisher and subdued the flames. Ginnie called 911 and I watched the hot spot. Five minutes later, the battery reignited just as intensely. But fortunately, I had a large extinguisher and two large back ups. If I only had the small extinguisher that came with the RV, it would have been exhausted on the first attack, and been empty when the fire reignited.

The fire department arrived and help remove the burned battery from under the slide. It was reading over 500 degrees and still smoldering. They remained on site for half an hour to make sure we were safe.

Fire Extinguisher Lessons
    1. If you have any doubt, get out.
    2. Call 911.
    3. If you fight a fire, have enough capability to do the job.
    4. Keep an escape path open.
    5. If the fire grows, get out and let insurance take care of the rest.

We just feel very fortunate that we returned home before this incident.

Eventually, the slide out may have shifted enough for the battery to ignite while we were driving. If so, we would have lost the RV.

What's next? We're already making good progress cleaning up the dry chemical from the extinguisher. We will need to make a sub floor repair and flooring patch. We still plan on hitting the road tomorrow with another of life's experiences under out belt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	120578

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	120579

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	120580

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	120581

Jim​
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Wow. Glad you were prepared and cool enough that you knew what you had to do and did it. I remember the preparedness talk you and Ginnie did at Quartzsite. A presentation everyone can learn something from. We did.
    Glad you guys are ok.

PS. I thought about that presentation every time I was refuelling..... heading home from AZ. Looking in the back of my truck seeing a generator and a spare can of fuel........
    And the 'bug out bag' is prepared.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-24-2023, 05:38 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

TucsonJim -- wow -- to say you had "a day" is a massive understatement between the WDH issue and the battery fire. Glad you two, the pups, and the RV are OK.

How's the blood pressure?

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just a reminder, prevention is important in addition to preparedness.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Just a reminder, prevention is important in addition to preparedness.
          Yep. That little camera battery looks so innocent. It adds a whole new spectrum on how to prevent this from happening to anyone.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

WOW. Glad you are both safe and were able to save the unit.

One thing I am quite adamant about any time the unit is prepping to move is checking all of the wall plugs to ensure nothing is plugged in. Don't know why, but it's just a thing I do.

As for the battery fire, just think that is one small Li Battery. Imagine how much more intense one with 50 or 100X more capacity would have been. This is why EV fires are so intense. Li (metal) fires are extremely difficult to put out (as you have experienced). Cooling is critical if possible. Unfortunately Li batteries (if i am remembering correctly) have enough components to maintain the reaction promoting heat without external help.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Glad you are ok and you were prepared. It is a good reminder that while we have been assured the LiFePO4 batteries we use to power our campers has a different chemistry and can't ignite, that isn't the case for the lithium batteries in our cameras, laptops, and other consumer electronics. We need to be careful how we store them.
              Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                Glad you are ok and you were prepared. It is a good reminder that while we have been assured the LiFePO4 batteries we use to power our campers has a different chemistry and can't ignite, that isn't the case for the lithium batteries in our cameras, laptops, and other consumer electronics. We need to be careful how we store them.
                Dave
                While the LiFePO4 chemistry is much safer than those used in devices such as you've noted, I believe that they are still vulnerable to physical damage causing ignition events.
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Wow! Glad you and Ginnie are safe Jim! (but I know that it can never happen to me 😁)
                  Mike and (RIP Karen)
                  2021 2600RB
                  2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Saw your posting on FB, Bee and I are glad you and the pups are safe! Great lesson to all and great illustration of the hazards out there. -Rick
                    Rick & B
                    2018 F-350 6.7L SRW FX4
                    2019 Reflection 337RLS, 1000w solar, 400ah batteries, Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, GY Endurance tires, Truma water heater

Comment

Those little extinguishers wont knock down much fire, they are largely for show. I always keep a 5# in the door side compartment and one under the seat of the truck.
                      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Wow, those batteries can be so dangerous! Glad you are both ok and definitely glad you were prepared! Safe travels !

Comment

Hi Jim TucsonJim
                          What fire extinguishers do you have and where do you store there?
                          Dave
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

TucsonJim

I think you were lucky to knock down a lithium fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. Per your info, you had to do this twice. From what I read, lithium fires need to be cooled. I carry a number of dry chemical extinguishers, but now I am wondering if I should also have one or more CO2 extinguishers which would be better at cooling.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dave27 and anyone else reading this thread: there's a thread on the Element extinquisher (an option to the large units) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...hers-installed

They are pricey, but relatively light and (according to what I've read and seen on YouTube) very effective. And yes, they were purchased after reading Jim's (previous) experience and wanting something available in multiple locations. (I've got one in the pass thru, one in the truck, one in the bedroom and one in the living area).

Howard
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X