Furrion Stove Igniter Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Stove Igniter Replacement

Just returned to campground after 7 months. Had forgotten to remove the Furrion Gas Stove igniter battery, and it corroded the battery on the bottom. New battery won’t work due to corrosion at the bottom of igniter. Igniter is installed from under the stovetop. Is the stovetop sealed to the counter? Can I just pry it up and lift it up enough to take out the igniter to clean it or replace it? Or, is there some other disassembly to them stovetop up? Using a butane lighter to light the stove, but need to clean or replace the igniter, and looking for proper way to get at it. Thanks!

We remembered to remove batteries from everything else (TV control etc) but forgot about the one for the stove. Batter is original, so is 3 1/2 yrs old. Recommend those with similar igniters make battery replacement a 1-2 yr maintenance item. So easy to overlook this one.
    Doug & Barb
    2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
    2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
    No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
    Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

You may find that the stove top is held down to the counter by brackets from the bottom. Have not removed one in a camper, but that's how house units are fixed to the counter.

You might get lucky and be able to feel or see the bottom of the unit from one of the adjacent drawer areas by removing the drawer or at least extending it and looking up through the cabinet door.

If it is fixed on the bottom, that most likely means removing the oven to gain access.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I removed the oven vent parts at the back of the cooktop, which holds the cooktop in place tightly. It did not have any sealant or other brackets or anything holding it. Just lifted it up and out enough to find the bottom is covered by sheet metal which is riveted. Still connected to the rubber propane hose of course. It looks as if the only way to gain access to the igniter would be to disconnect and remove the gas valve, and then maybe able to get the igniter out. But there is not a separate shut-off valve for the gas line to the cooktop; so it would mean shutting off gas at the propane tanks and leaving it off until done working on the cooktop. The Parts Lookup does not show individual parts, but says they are available thru dealers. I will check with dealer about replacement igniter, and will try to contact Furrion about exactly how to get inside to replace it. Poor design to require a 1.5v battery, when camper has a permanent 12v system to get power from. Also, friends with other brands say they have a non-battery “twist” button that provides sparks to all burners. My bad for forgetting to remove (or replace) the battery sooner. But, the result is a very difficult repair involving a gas appliance. Disappointed a corroded battery results in such a difficult repair. For now, using a hand-held butane lighter to light burners when needed.
      I did use a warm solution of baking soda & water to try to clean the igniter a couple of times, but didn’t help.
      Doug & Barb
      2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
      No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.

Comment

Probably not much different that turning off the propane at the bottles, SolitudeAtLast but if you look for the gas line under the kitchen slide there may be a shut of valve at the transition from solid to flex.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

oooh. Thanks for the battery reminder SolitudeAtLast
          I'm going to go take it out now. Thanks!

As to isolating your stove from gas, there is a 90* valve under my 303RLs that isolates the stove from the tanks. Might do the fridge too though.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Not sure if this applies but my dive computer came with specific instructions to use lithium AA batteries to avoid an exploded battery in the computer, which explicitly is not covered by the warranty. I use the Energizer Lithium batteries in it, I assume the different chemistry must be such that it cannot explode like a normal alkaline battery.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks. Cleaning battery area didn’t help. For now, using a lighter. Lifted stovetop out, and replacing the igniter will be very difficult. No access from bottom side. Mfg says the thin metal top of the stove must be separated from the adhesive strip holding it to to the body of the stove to access the igniter.
              Doug & Barb
              2020 Solitude 377MBS-R

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                No access from bottom side. Mfg says the thin metal top of the stove must be separated from the adhesive strip holding it to to the body of the stove to access the igniter.
                Gotta love manufacturers that make maintenance virtually impossible.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Would it be correct to assume all stoves that use the twist type igniter use no batteries? I've never really know how these worked but just guessed the friction generated a spark some way.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar Thats right. The battery ones are a push button you hold down and it clicks and sparks on its own. The twist ones generate the spark from you twisting the knob. They are called Piezo ignitors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_...es%20the%20gas.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X