Hot Water Heater Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater Issues

On my 2021 GD Momentum 351M, which I bought just before needing to winterize it last year. I got it ready this last week and found out the hot water heater does not "really" work as advertised. Of course I filled it with water before turning anything on. I made sure my nautilus system was set correctly. In this case I added about gallons of water in the tank and ran it on dry camping mode, according to the chart. I used the electric first and let it run overnight, I'm connected to shore power. The next day I checked it out and got about 20 seconds of luke warm water out of the tap. I turned off the electrical side and engaged the propane side. I made sure I had gas running through the system. I checked it a few hours later and got the same thing. About 20 seconds of luke warm water and then it turned cold. I checked everything I could think of and then went to the internet of course. My water heater appears to not have a thermal fuse as there are two reset buttons. I pushed on those two buttons and could not feel anything like a button being pushed. So I'm stumped and don't know if I'm overlooking something or is there a secret button somewhere? I checked the breaker switch and fuses, the tank is full of water, I'm just stumped at this point. Any suggestions or guidance at this point would be greatly appreciated.
    Greg and Suki
    2021 Momentum 351M
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD

On your Nautilus panel there is an outside faucet, make sure both knobs are turned clockwise, off position. Is there a water heater bypass valve near the back of the water heater? If so make sure this is set to the proper position.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When you turn on the hot faucet, do you get just a little luke warm water, then nothing. Or is the water warm and the flow continues, but goes cold. If you're getting poor flow or no flow, then the check valve on the outlet of the tank has failed. It's very easy to replace. Let us know if the flow is reduced or stopped and we can guide you on how to replace the valve

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The water pressure seems to about the same on both the hot and cold sides. After letting the water heater do its thing for several hours, I'll get about 10 seconds worth of luke warm water from both the cold side and the hot side. I almost get the feeling like my hot water tank is still in bypass mode from winterization. Even though there is water in the tank, it doesn't seem to be coming out. I'm going to try and attach a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure. Let me know what you think.
        Greg and Suki
        2021 Momentum 351M

Comment

Did you check that the outside spray hose faucets are turned fully OFF?
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            I did not check that. My memory is saying that I turned them off when I dewinterized it but then again, my memory likes to take short vacations during the day. I'll take a look.

Greg and Suki
            2021 Momentum 351M

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel8859 View Post
              Let me know what you think.
              I think the answer is in post 2 and/or 3 of this thread. Have you checked both? Do you know how & where? (No shame implied if you need help identifying...)
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It looks like a Suburban? The model numbers reflect different specs for the reset buttons. I would guess that you might have a problem under the right hand rubber reset button - high temp limit switch, which on mine is under the right had rubber reset button (no reset under the left rubber button). That would make sense if you are having temp problems with both electric and gas. But, there is also a vulnerable circuit board behind the heater that has has some frequent failures. Do you know the make/model # of the heater? In the interim, make sure all of the electrical connections are not corroded and you can remove the propane heat element to see if there is anything plugging the distribution (also a recorded problem over time) in case there are actually two issues.
                2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

THAT WAS AMAZING! Something so simple caused me so much worry as a new 5th wheel owner. You sir are my newest hero right after John Wayne. You hit the nail right on the head, both the cold and hot were turned on all the way on my outside spray faucet. I don't know how the system is plumbed and/or why that outside faucet made such a big difference, but it did. I turned the outside faucet to off, fired up the heater, cracked open a brew and just to make sure it had a chance to get hot, I cracked open a second one. Checked it out and wonderful hot water poured from the tap. Thank you Ted S. I hope I get to shake your hand someday.
                  Greg and Suki
                  2021 Momentum 351M

Comment

WOW! I had never given this a thought. I've seen the response that it worked, but I don't understand why this would make a difference?
                    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

WOW! I had never given this a thought. I've seen the response that it worked, but I don't understand why this would make a difference?
                      ajg617 The fixture connects hot and cold together. In normal use with the spray head, you mix hot and cold to get the temperature you want for the water coming out the spray head. When the spray head is turned off or removed the open faucets still connect hot and cold inside the fixture. Mixed hot and cold water will flow through the hot line to other fixtures when they are opened. The same thing would happen if you could turn off the shower head and leave the shower faucet valves open.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Ted. When I first read Brian's post (#2) I was thinking to myself..well you would think he would notice the outside shower spraying...lol

Does anybody use the outside shower? I've used the outside shower over the years for only one purpose...washing walleye fillets.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

The ol' outside spray faucet... I wish I had a nickel... Scott'n'Wendy we only use it for bathing the dogs.

Mike
                          Mike & Sonya
                          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                          Blue Ox SwayPro
                          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Diesel8859 enjoy your hot water.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment