No announcement yet.

Keeping Refrigerator on when Traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read this device detects leaks. Just had dealer do a drop test on system while we were there last month for annual maintenance to comply with our warranty. It was expensive so if this is also good for detecting system leaks, will save me from annual propane drop test expense.

Howard, at the rally did they say buy 1 for each tank? Chad has one per tank is it difficult to move from tank to tank one one runs out?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
      I just read this device detects leaks. Just had dealer do a drop test on system while we were there last month for annual maintenance to comply with our warranty. It was expensive so if this is also good for detecting system leaks, will save me from annual propane drop test expense.

Howard, at the rally did they say buy 1 for each tank? Chad has one per tank is it difficult to move from tank to tank one one runs out?
      I bought two--I try to minimize the logistics associated with "camping". (My success is questionable in that regard.) Besides, with the auto-switchover in the regulator you'll want both tanks protected.

If there's a rally or RV show close to your location you can usually get a "show special" price (discount). I searched my files and found the two I bought at the National Rally came to $97.60. (~$45 each plus tax?)

Disclaimer: As I always like to clarify for anyone reading that doesn't know me, I have no connection with this company or anyone associated with the product. I'm not "pushing" it--I'm just an end user like you.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That is a pretty good deal! They want $80 each checked amazon as well and other places. My propane tank does not have an auto switchover that I can see. I always have to go and manually do this. But regardless, I will try to find a better price before we leave Florida next May.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

My propane tank does not have an auto switchover that I can see. I always have to go and manually do this. .
          Beachcamper - Every regulator that I've seen Grand Design install is an auto switch-over type in the past. If you can post a photo or model number of your regulator, I can look into it.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            howson - Couldn't you have rotated the bottles so that the valves turned towards the regulator. Then the cover might have fit better.

Jim
            With shorter hoses? My buddies Jayco had long hoses like what's pictures. They rubbed on the cover from the factory. We just went out and got shorter hoses and turned the tanks a little.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Beachcamper - Every regulator that I've seen Grand Design install is an auto switch-over type in the past. If you can post a photo or model number of your regulator, I can look into it.

Jim
              Jim, I was told by dealer that it did not switch over. And it’s never switched over when1 tank is empty. But would love to know what you think? Here are pictures:
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Jim, I was told by dealer that it did not switch over. And it’s never switched over when1 tank is empty. But would love to know what you think? Here are pictures:
                Thanks for the photos. Your main regulator is actually an auto switch over.

First, the red regulator on the curb side is a secondary regulator. It drops the pressure in the crossover line to the main regulator. Nothing needs to be done with it except replacing it if it ever gets clogged or leaks.

Now, let's talk about your primary regulator. Here's how it works:

1. Start with two full propane bottles.
                2. Open both the valves on the tanks.
                3. Point the black lever on top of the regulator on the tank you want to use first. For example, point it towards the tank on the driver's side of the fifth wheel. At this point, the indicator in the glass sight window should be green.
                4. When the first bottle runs empty, the regulator will switch to the other tank, and the indicator will change to red. When you see red, it means that the bottle the black lever is pointed to is empty. This tells you that it's time to remove that bottle and fill it. In the mean time, the propane will continue to work off the other bottle.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim, we are doing this wrong 😂. I went by dealer explanation and keep one tank closed and only open the other when empty. I guess will still be fine if not running on propane only and using furnace. But would have been helpful when we were dry camping!! With this in mind, might end up buying the 2 gas stop valves then.

Vivian
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    Watch Chad's test:
                    I saw the GasStop at the Tampa RV show earlier this year. Like Country Campers I too thought that the valves already in my tanks/lines were sufficient protection, and when I questioned the people in the booth about the extra protection of their product they weren't all that convincing. However upon swinging by the booth later that day I bought the things anyway. Now I'm glad I did, thx Howard.

I will say that I've found the gauge on the device unreliable at times, just like the other couple of gauges that preceded this one.
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Thanks Jim, we are doing this wrong 😂. I went by dealer explanation and keep one tank closed and only open the other when empty. I guess will still be fine if not running on propane only and using furnace. But would have been helpful when we were dry camping!! With this in mind, might end up buying the 2 gas stop valves then.

Vivian
                      We found that the regulator would not completely empty one tank when both were open. We keep one closed until we get near the bottom of the one we're using and then switch over the regulator and open the tank valve. It also means I always have a spare full tank when the first one goes dry.

Another really handy device is the Mopeka Tank Gauge that works with your Bluetooth phone.
                      2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Melbarjr View Post
                        I've read somewhere that you should not travel with the refrigerator running on LP. I understand the thinking on this, but aren't they designed to do this. Else besides ice how do you keep the refrigerator cold?
                        To get this back on track
                        First welcome
                        I have been traveling with the fridge on propane since I can remember. First camping with my dad and now on my own (probably 50 + years now). I have had zero issues and yes most fridges are made to run while moving. Only once have I had to turn it off and that was on a ferry ride.

Hope this helps
                        Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I usually leave the second tank closed until I know that the first one is getting low, then I open the valve on the second tank. This beats having out go out in the middle of the night to change over the valve because the furnace quit . . . ask me how I know this . If the tanks are at different temperatures (sunny side vs shaded side) this may affect the accuracy of the switch-over because it is done by tank pressure comparison.

Another good tool for checking propane level is the Dometic hand-held gauge. https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...hecker-_-30723

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

FYI spoke with GasStop rep today and there will be a Black Friday sale to be announced if anyone wants to buy one at reduced price. One at full cost the other half off is what they are going to offer. Check with them a week before to get pricing.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              I usually leave the second tank closed until I know that the first one is getting low, then I open the valve on the second tank. This beats having out go out in the middle of the night to change over the valve because the furnace quit . . . ask me how I know this . If the tanks are at different temperatures (sunny side vs shaded side) this may affect the accuracy of the switch-over because it is done by tank pressure comparison.

Another good tool for checking propane level is the Dometic hand-held gauge. https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...hecker-_-30723

Rob
                              Any reliability issues with the Dometic LP gas checker? My brother had another brand and he said sometimes it went nuts?
                              Thanks
                              Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Any reliability issues with the Dometic LP gas checker? My brother had another brand and he said sometimes it went nuts?
                                Thanks
                                Keith
                                Hi Keith,

The Dometic LP checker seems to be quite reliable. TucsonJim has one too (that's where I got the idea ) He may want to chime in with his perspective.

A couple of tips . . .

From the operating manual (I know . . . who reads those things??)
                                ​​​​​​"Lay your free hand on the gas bottle to prevent incorrect measurements due to environmental influences"
                                Seems curious for an ultrasonic device, but it makes a difference.

Also, strong batteries are important. My gauge was going a little wonky, but this was fixed by replacing the batteries.

The tank wall has to be clean and dry. I have had problems if there is condensation or frost.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X