No announcement yet.

Suggested washer dryer brand for solutude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Megan - and again, my apologies for whining. I think the easiest way to grasp the problem would be to have your engineer install a stacked washer and dryer in the 310GK. Seriously. No need to over think it. Just try to install them. :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
      Thanks Megan - and again, my apologies for whining. I think the easiest way to grasp the problem would be to have your engineer install a stacked washer and dryer in the 310GK. Seriously. No need to over think it. Just try to install them. :-)
      I don't take it as "whining" at all! It's constructive criticism! The engineer for the Solitude did reply back to my email and stated that because we have the 310GKs on the line right now, he was going to get a shell of a Splendide unit and install it in a unit tomorrow to see if he could get it to work. So once again, we really do appreciate the feedback!!!

Comment

A single all in one unit wouldn't be bad. Stacked units would be the challenge. Your engineer may need a beer when he's done :-)
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
          Maybe you should consider changing your order to the S-series Solitude 2930rl. I have seen installation of a separate washer/dryer in that model just inside the entry door. The washer inside a cabinet and the dryer in the bottom of the pantry. Another big advantage is that, on that model, the washer drains into kitchen grey tank, not the shower grey tank.

Comment

Hello all! I just wanted to follow up on this discussion. We had a shell of a Splendide unit to install in a 310GK. I was told that they did have to take the door jamb off and remove the shelves in order for them to install the unit, but the Splendide unit did fit. They have been building the 310GK for a long time and no one had heard of any problems with the install. I hope you find this info useful!

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
              Hello all! I just wanted to follow up on this discussion. We had a shell of a Splendide unit to install in a 310GK. I was told that they did have to take the door jamb off and remove the shelves in order for them to install the unit, but the Splendide unit did fit. They have been building the 310GK for a long time and no one had heard of any problems with the install. I hope you find this info useful!
              Yep, it fit's the 375 as well. Did have to remove the door jamb as you stated but well worth the effort I think.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	WASHER.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	10494
              Jeff
              2019 Solitude 375 RES
              2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
                Hi Megan

Did they install the stackable (i.e. separate) washer and dryer or the all in one unit? Did they try to run the vent to the outside?

An all in one unit would be much simpler as you wouldn't need to remove the non-removable upper "shelf" and would have much easier access behind the unit to connect the vent because it's half as tall as stacked units and doesn't fill the closet which prevents access to the rear of both the washer and dryer. Having access behind the stacked units is critical because you need that access in order to connect the dryer vent which can only be vented out the back of the dryer and closet (even though the side wall of the closet has a spot marked for the vent).

I'll give $100 to any Grand Design employee that can install a stacked washer and dryer that are secured together and to the floor and vented to the outside without:
                1- Removing the door jamb (required to fit all standard 24" wide compact washers and dryers)
                2- Removing the upper-most non-removable "shelf" (required for all stacked units with combined heights exceeding 59 1/8" - which is all of them)
                3- Removing or cutting a large hole in the rear wall of the closet (required to connect the dryer vent and secure the washer and dryer to each other)
                4- Removing the right side wall of the front walk in closet (required for all access to the rear of the stacked washer and dryer through the back wall of the closet)

I'm guessing the reason you haven't heard of anybody having troubles installing stacked washers and dryers in the 310GK is because they just tear the closets apart like I plan to do and install them without notifying the factory. Most people like myself assume the factory isn't going to change the design of their products just because they whine. It's kind of like the battery cut off switch in the pass through compartment that doesn't really cut off the battery. Many owners like me just install a second switch that really cuts the battery off rather than just whining about it to the factory.

LOVE Grand Design, their products, their customer service and their employees (remember, I just ordered my third GD 5th wheel!). The washer/dryer closet in the 310GK? Not so much! :-)

Thanks again for looking into this and following through.

Oh, one more thing. I was able to install a stacked washer and dryer in my 2019 Solitude 373FB without removing anything. The closet in the 373FB is wider, taller and deeper and the rear wall faces the outside for easy access to vent the dryer. I'm only concerned about the 310GK.

-Brian
                Last edited by bertschb; 01-13-2020, 03:28 PM.
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

What is best washer and dryer for Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Rick and Gabie View Post
                    What is best washer and dryer for Reflection 337RLS
                    "Best" is subjective. Many owners here have the Splendide setup. @Crespo recently installed a different brand (I forget the name).

Please check out the Welcome Letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The letter will get you up-to-speed on how to use this forum--lots of threads about washers and dryers to discover!

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We had the Splendide stacked unit installed by the dealer prior to delivery. Had asked about different brands, but was obvious they preferred Splindide, and had them in inventory. From above comments, I suspect they knew the Splendide would fit. They did not comment on removing door frames etc, but did a good job. I also had them install a drip pan, with a drain line. Looks like they used a plastic or fiberglass drain pan and had to shorten it because the front of it looks like it was cut just behind the front lip, then sealed (glued ?) to the next piece. It works because I overfilled the gray tank a little, and drain pan caught it with no leaks. I also had them put in stainless wrapped hoses instead of ordinary rubber washer hoses. Anyway, including installation was about $2500. The solid closet door hinged on left obstructed access. We removed the door completely, & replaced with a pair of 24 inch louvered bifold doors. Removed the hinges in the middle and hung the two 12 inch inch doors hinged separately on left & right sides. Open both doors all the way and have great access.

Doug & Barb
                      2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                      2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                      No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                      Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

"Best" is subjective. Many owners here have the Splendide setup. @Crespo recently installed a different brand (I forget the name).

Please check out the Welcome Letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The letter will get you up-to-speed on how to use this forum--lots of threads about washers and dryers to discover!

Howard
                        Hi,

Yes, we installed a Miele stacked washer dryer. The heat pump dryer is 120V, so no hole in the wall. The posts from Brian were very helpful. I knew we would be removing the bedroom door frame (left section) and the full closet frame. Because my stacked height was about 68", I installed a 5 1/2 inch extended frame and reversed the door. Looks good now, but it was a project. Thanks to Brian for creating the right expectations. You also will need airflow -- Grand Design should have used a door with louvers -- it did not. I installed a fan and switch in the top left corner of the frame. I can run with the fan on and the door closed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	58240
                        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Working...
                        X