Furrion 12v refrigerator not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 12v refrigerator not working

This is my first post and it may be a bit long, sorry for that.

I have had my 2022 Xplor 221RB since July and it has been out and flawless 9 times. Last Friday I started getting everything prepped to go out this weekend and found my refrigerator (Furrion 12v FCR08DCGTA) not working. It has power as the light is on so I assume its not the fuse. I also noticed the light at the shore power outlet was very dim or off.

troubleshooting as follows:
    Surge protector/line tester said good, clean power. Checked power cord and it checked good. Got another one anyways, no change.
    Shut off all breakers and reset, no change.
    Checked all accessible wiring and fuses, except for behind the fridge. No damage and all connections tight and clean.
    Input voltage at the breaker bus is 124v. Voltage on the 12v side steady at 13.7v with main breaker on and 12.8 with main breaker off.
    Last, I opened all access points and removed all drawers. No signs of rodents being inside and causing damage.

At this point I am out of ideas and really do not want to cancel trips waiting for a warranty repair if I can fix it myself.

thanks for any help
    Jimmy

Originally posted by Jimmy79 View Post
    This is my first post and it may be a bit long, sorry for that.

I have had my 2022 Xplor 221RB since July and it has been out and flawless 9 times. Last Friday I started getting everything prepped to go out this weekend and found my refrigerator (Furrion 12v FCR08DCGTA) not working. It has power as the light is on so I assume its not the fuse. I also noticed the light at the shore power outlet was very dim or off.

Surge protector/line tester said good, clean power. Checked power cord and it checked good. Got another one anyways, no change.
    Checked all accessible wiring and fuses, except for behind the fridge. No damage and all connections tight and clean.
    Input voltage at the breaker bus is 124v. Voltage on the 12v side steady at 13.7v with main breaker on and 12.8 with main breaker off.
    Last, I opened all access points and removed all drawers. No signs of rodents being inside and causing damage.

At this point I am out of ideas and really do not want to cancel trips waiting for a warranty repair if I can fix it myself.

thanks for any help
    Jimmy
    First--welcome, Jimmy. I'll post a link to the Welcome Letter at the bottom of this post. Please check it out when you get a chance.

According to the Furrion's manual, The appliance has a low-voltage shut-off function, intended to protect your RV battery's from excessive drain. What I don't see in your troubleshooting list is a 12v reading with the temp control set to MAX (so the compressor attempts to start). What happens to the 12v reading when this happens? (This is measuring the 12v system with a load, which could reveal an issue.) As you'll read in the Troubleshooting section of the manual, if the voltage drops below 10.5 the refrigator won't start.

If that test didn't reveal a problem, what I'd do (feel free to reject the idea) is find a way to connect known good power to the Furrion. This may require removing the refrigerator and hooking it up to something like a car battery or something, (but I could do it safely). The point would be to isolate if the problem is power in the RV or something in the refrigerator.

I'm also attaching the Furrion manual in case you don't have it.

Howard

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jimmy, Welcome to the technical forum.

Man, I am impressed you came in with voltage readings and the trouble-shooting you've already done. The only other thing I'd suggest is that you kill the battery voltage for a short period and allow the reefer to reboot.

I'd suggest you contact GDRV customer service first thing in the morning at 574-825-9679 and see if they might have any ideas. Have your VIN available when you call. Hopefully, they'll have some trouble shooting advice for you. I'm heading back to GDRV for some tech training in April, so I'll make sure to add the furrion fridge to the list of concerns.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

First--welcome, Jimmy. I'll post a link to the Welcome Letter at the bottom of this post. Please check it out when you get a chance.

According to the Furrion's manual, The appliance has a low-voltage shut-off function, intended to protect your RV battery's from excessive drain. What I don't see in your troubleshooting list is a 12v reading with the temp control set to MAX (so the compressor attempts to start). What happens to the 12v reading when this happens? (This is measuring the 12v system with a load, which could reveal an issue.) As you'll read in the Troubleshooting section of the manual, if the voltage drops below 10.5 the refrigator won't start.

If that test didn't reveal a problem, what I'd do (feel free to reject the idea) is find a way to connect known good power to the Furrion. This may require removing the refrigerator and hooking it up to something like a car battery or something, (but I could do it safely). The point would be to isolate if the problem is power in the RV or something in the refrigerator.

Howard

All of my voltage readings were taken with the refrigerator set to max and door open, ambient temps in the low 50s. Compressor never attempted to start. I havent taken any voltage readings at the back of the refrigerator as I havent removed it yet.

One edit I forgot to make to my original thread is that the refrigerator did randomly start up Sunday evening, but was off again by Monday morning.

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Jimmy, Welcome to the technical forum.

Man, I am impressed you came in with voltage readings and the trouble-shooting you've already done. The only other thing I'd suggest is that you kill the battery voltage for a short period and allow the reefer to reboot.

I'd suggest you contact GDRV customer service first thing in the morning at 574-825-9679 and see if they might have any ideas. Have your VIN available when you call. Hopefully, they'll have some trouble shooting advice for you. I'm heading back to GDRV for some tech training in April, so I'll make sure to add the furrion fridge to the list of concerns.

Jim
        surprisingly, this is something that didnt even occur to me. I will disconnect the battery tonight and reconnect tomorrow after work and see if there is a change.

Comment

Hi Jimmy:
          You may have an issue because the ambient temp is low. I installed the Furrion fridge about a year ago and it kept shutting off when the outside temp was cool. As soon as it warmed up it would work again. I had to run an electric heater inside on cold nights to keep it going. Your owners manual also states this. Good luck with this.

Brad
          Brad Smith
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2018 F150
          2011 Cruiser (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by B W Smith View Post
            Hi Jimmy:
            You may have an issue because the ambient temp is low. I installed the Furrion fridge about a year ago and it kept shutting off when the outside temp was cool. As soon as it warmed up it would work again. I had to run an electric heater inside on cold nights to keep it going. Your owners manual also states this. Good luck with this.

Brad
            There may be something to this. We just spent a weekend in the camper and we ran heat/space heater almost constantly and the refrigerator worked fine. I do have some issues in the electrical system though. no GFCI outlets without shore power and the converter breaker would randomly pop with no change in load and even at lower loads than other times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy79 View Post
              ...no GFCI outlets without shore power...
              Do you have an inverter in the 221RB, wired via a transfer switch, to power the trailer's GFCI outlets? If not, with shore power disconnected you shouldn't have 120vAC at the GFCI outlets.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard

Great Idea Howard,

But he would not need to remove the refrigerator but can use jumper cables to raise the system voltage. Assuming wiring and inverter is good.

Jim

Comment

[QUOTE=Jimmy79;n74322]This is my first post and it may be a bit long, sorry for that.

thanks for any help
                  Jimmy[ i have the same unit that you have. picked it up in june rv is great but furrion frig is junk had mine replaced in oct by dealer now jan 28 mine is not working again cools down to 34 then shut off and will not start up again . inside temp gets to 45 the only way it start again i have to leave the door open. dealer has no answer furrion never answer my emails. will not get another one . going to buy an everchill.

Comment

I have a 2021 Grand Design with a 12 volt refrigerator, it has mind of its own. I'd didn't work this past September, I put in storage for a month, it worked from October until last week. All fuses good including the one in the back of refrigerator. Pulled it out today checked again started working for about 3 hours, and now nothing again.
                    any ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrh View Post
                      I have a 2021 Grand Design with a 12 volt refrigerator, it has mind of its own. I'd didn't work this past September, I put in storage for a month, it worked from October until last week. All fuses good including the one in the back of refrigerator. Pulled it out today checked again started working for about 3 hours, and now nothing again.
                      any ideas.
                      Unfortunately simple fixes on these (Dometic? Furrion?) refrigerators aren't common. Most of what I've read requires a replacement of the unit. Calling your dealer and/or GD is the best option IMO.

Please post the resolution to help future owners!

Howard

Comment

Thanks Howard, I will do that.

Comment

Update as of now, I removed the refrigerator again, found a faulty fuse. It wasn't blown the end was loose. I bought an automotive style spade fuse holder and about 6' of wire. Cut the old holder out and moved it thru the vent to the front shield. For now, working.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrh View Post
                            Update as of now, I removed the refrigerator again, found a faulty fuse. It wasn't blown the end was loose. I bought an automotive style spade fuse holder and about 6' of wire. Cut the old holder out and moved it thru the vent to the front shield. For now, working.
                            Did you happen to take a picture of the original fuse and location?

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

No, unfortunately. It was in the original location from the factory, right rear corner. The metal end that is attached to glass fuse was loose but not blown. I think that explains why it worked intermittently.

Comment

Working...
                              X