Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 399th GFCI Outlet/Breaker issue.

Good morning,
    Here is the issue: The GFCI outlet to to the left of the stove popped, and will not reset. It appears to also have taken out the RoadVac system, and the outlet against the wall under the Dinette table. I just got off the phone with Grand Design, and spoke to one of their techies. I asked him if he had a breaker diagram to identify which breaker that GFCI outlet is connected to, but the only one he had did not match up with what mine looked like, so we were not sure,
    I replaced the GFCI outIet, but the new one still doesn't work. have attached a pic of my Fuse/Breaker box, maybe someone has seen something similiar and can dial me in to the correct one. None of my breakers are popped, but I did reset all of them, as well as the shore power surge protector, which isn't showing any faults. I bought a tester, and plugged one end into the faulty GFCI, and when I used the beeper wandy thingy, that lights and beeps when i get close to the correct breaker, beeped and whined at all of them, so I am assuming my tester sucks, or the breakers are too close together.
    Anyhoo, thanks in advance, Im going to keep digging too. I have a 20 and 15 amp new breaker ready to go, hopefully that's the issue.
    Edited to actually, ya know, attach the pic...
    Attached Files

Hi Rod.

Well, you've already done some of the checks I'd recommend. I'm curious. You have a 20A breaker that is labeled "sub panel main". So that is apparently providing power to a sub panel. Where is that located, and can you provide a photo of it?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Ok, soooooo, I don't have any idea, and I did not know the sub panel was indicating a super secret panel hidden somewhere...let me go examine that. I am pretty sure you helped me fix this issue...!?!

Comment

The receptacle won't reset if there is still a fault somewhere. Unplug everything that's on that circuit, then try to reset.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Ok, I just got off the phone with GD, amd they said they are going to email me a diagram showing the electrical, AND location of the Sub-Panel. I will attach that once I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodhoward View Post
            Ok, I just got off the phone with GD, amd they said they are going to email me a diagram showing the electrical, AND location of the Sub-Panel. I will attach that once I get it.
            Rod - the drawings are proprietary. Grand Design will send them to you for your use, but they don't want them posted on the forum. But I'd sure like to know where that sub panel is located if you find it actually has one.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

This is what GD just sent me: "Sub panel
              – under stairs – access through pass thru/behind felt wall (remove screws from panel to see behind panel) pantry area."

I assumed they meant the felt wall in my under storage. I took that panel off, but did not see any breakers...i was hoping they would have sent me a diagram, so i replied asking for one.

Comment

Originally posted by rodhoward View Post
                This is what GD just sent me: "Sub panel
                – under stairs – access through pass thru/behind felt wall (remove screws from panel to see behind panel) pantry area."

I assumed they meant the felt wall in my under storage. I took that panel off, but did not see any breakers...i was hoping they would have sent me a diagram, so i replied asking for one.
                You will need to check under the stairs also, looking for a grey box. There is a false wall that goes from one side of the pass thru to the other it may be behind there as well.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm thinking that there may be a larger problem than just a bad GFCI receptacle, or a faulty device plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle. I'm sure the sparkys in the group can set me straight.

I would expect the GFCI receptacle to be on a dedicated circuit. Maybe finding the subpanel will confirm this. I would not expect that the RoadVac outlet or the outlet under the dinette table to be GFCI protected, as they are not in damp or wet locations. Could these receptacles not working be an indicator of a larger problem than just a bad GFCI receptacle?
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Ok, update, and thank you for helping! I was finally able to get someone at GD that knew exactly where the sub panel was located. In a Momentum 399TH, it is under the bottom stair, that goes into the bedroom. There are 4 screws holding it down, once you unscrew those, the stair lifts off, and voila, there's a little sub panel with 3 breakers, and the one labeled GFI was popped. I reset it and bada boom bada bing, all is right in the electrical world. I hope this helps anyone ese trying to find that dang thing.
                    Happy Camping!!
                    Last edited by rodhoward; 07-01-2022, 10:41 PM. Reason: I cant type..

Comment

Also, don't run a toaster, the road vac, and a HIPPA air filter at the same time.... It's what got me into this mess...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

You will need to check under the stairs also, looking for a grey box. There is a false wall that goes from one side of the pass thru to the other it may be behind there as well.

Brian
                        For some reason my brain was stuck on the stairs going INTO the RV, next to the under storage, false wall. It turns out, it was exactly where you said, under the stairs IN the RV.

Comment

rodhoward - Glad you found it and the problem is solved. I'm still amazed that they can put a sub panel in the RV that is not readily accessible.

Jim.
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                          X