Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson SB 120 to power point connection - need a quick bush fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    I actually have a one of these for each truck if you are not pulling the camper: https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-11-896.../dp/B002UC8U7G
    Joseph. I got to wondering if this will work on my 2022 F350 with its smart charging circuit.. I found the thread where it said you need the truck running, door closed and step on the brake for a few seconds to power up the plug, there there are other threads elsewhere where the say the truck needs to think the trailer is connected and show that on the dash in the cab. I have not tried the run step on the break yet, but will today.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Well, technology is not always good. I kinda like having the 7 way plug powered at all times. I wonder if once it senses a load if it will keep it "alive" when the key is off.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Keith, you may have to go back to your Anderson connector plan.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

OK update - talked to the service manager at Zimes - very helpful.

To activate the 12+ on the new Fords the truck must sense trailer break lights or turn signals Truck running, trailer sensed, and step on the brake for 2 seconds to power up), so for the Pollak adapter https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-11-896.../dp/B002UC8U7G to work I need to fool the truck that something is attached. The Ford dealer said to use a 4 pin test plug https://www.harborfreight.com/four-w...SABEgINi_D_BwE in conjunction with the adapter in the 7 pin port

Of course doing this deactivates some of the safety features I like (side traffic indication, etc). So I am putting this on hold and will probably come up with a SB120 plug set up that will work in conjunction with the DC-DC charger. To do this I need to create an adapter to feed the DC-DC and a 12v weather proof power point socket, The reason I will want to power the cooler with the trailer connected and the dc-dc connected, so just need the third plug - maybe a bed mount version with separate wiring tied to the DC-DC connections (fused of course). A spring project now for sure.

Thanks for the help folks

Keith

On edit.
          I just found this that might work stand alone for the Newer Ford trucks https://www.amazon.com/Oyviny-Adapte...s%2C187&sr=8-2
          Last edited by Yoda; 12-16-2022, 01:55 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda, Keith see post number 6.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Yoda Keith, instead of making a bunch of adapters just add the marine power port to the bed tapping into the wiring for the DC-DC charger. https://www.amazon.com/Burndy-AMS-4-...%2C116&sr=8-24 and heat shrink where you tap into the power wire from the battery near the rear of the truck.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                Yoda, Keith see post number 6.
                Ted - your picture did not post, but I think I know what your talking about.
                Keith

Comment

Yoda Keith, instead of making a bunch of adapters just add the marine power port to the bed tapping into the wiring for the DC-DC charger. https://www.amazon.com/Burndy-AMS-4-...%2C116&sr=8-24 and heat shrink where you tap into the power wire from the battery near the rear of the truck.
                  I am thinking of relocating my DC-DC plug to the bulkhead mount I have and when I do I can add wire taps out the back

Come spring I will get this done someway. Another future post

Thanks

Keith

Comment

Yoda, run a 12v extension cord from a cab outlet back to the box by way of the back door or rear window. Not an elegant solution, but redneck enough.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      Yoda, run a 12v extension cord from a cab outlet back to the box by way of the back door or rear window. Not an elegant solution, but redneck enough.
                      LOL
                      I had thought of that, but too cold to have the slider open and it appears Ford did not line up the cab ports with the bed ports on my new truck. I do like your thinking We must meet up someday at a rally. Us rednecks need to celebrate somehow without causing mass destruction

Off to Mississippi in the morning so I will be off line for a few days

Merry Christmas everyone and may God bless your travels

Keith

Comment

I thought about that. As mentioned there is the air gap. If out the rear sliding glass, DUCT TAPE to the rescue..... I only reserved that option as it's not something I would do to my truck.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I thought about that. As mentioned there is the air gap. If out the rear sliding glass, DUCT TAPE to the rescue..... I only reserved that option as it's not something I would do to my truck.
                          That's a Red Green fix
                          Of to Mississippi
                          Keith

Comment

Well during my long drive to Mississippi...took a long Dallas bypass the did not turn out to be faster (82 from 287 to I 49 at Texarkana). Anyway - I remembered I have 10 awg marine wire already and the battery accessory posts are already installed from my DC-DC project, so running a constant hot line should not be an issue. I might be able to slide it through the same sleeve. or install new along the same route as my DC-DC cabling.

Anyway all I need is a good water proof (booted back too) HD marine rated 12V DC power point socket that is also cold temperature rated construction. Haven't looked hard yet, but not seeing much but that could be how I am searching. Thoughts?

Merry Christmas

Keith

Comment

Yoda How far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go????

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Access...keywords=wet+l ocation+marine+dc+power+plug&qid=1671653514&sprefi x=wet+location+marine+dpower+plug%2Caps%2C305&sr=8-55-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzU0RGT kNPVklaUUQ3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjUxNTY4MURFODVOQ0d RVlZTVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDg3MDMzUTdGUzJTNzlBV VA3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGl yZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Although a creative person could put in a project box https://www.amazon.com/YETLEBOX-Wate...roject%2Bbox%2 Bfor%2Belectronics&qid=1671653605&sprefix=plastic% 2Bproject%2Bbox%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWExSNFpRQld YTFo3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjY4MDUwMzBXMlZVQ1g5QUJWQ yZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzU2NDAyMkhSMTE3RkFTS1Q3RSZ 3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjd CZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1 then a power plug https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Mot...rds=marine%2Bp ower%2Bplug&qid=1671653628&sprefix=marine%2Bpower% 2Bplu%2Caps%2C253&sr=8-11&th=1 and use a gland https://www.amazon.com/Strain-Relief...eywords=cord%2 Bgland&qid=1671653652&sprefix=cord%2Bgland%2Caps%2 C258&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOU9CTkcxTU1 BSjZXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODA1MjQ4Mk5BTEhMMU9RSVBNW iZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg4Mzk2VE1WQ0xIODlKNzlKJnd pZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0J mRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1 to seal the incoming power cable.

Just some quick thoughts. 😈

Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X