Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dogbone Blows Shore Power Breaker -- Multiplus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victron shows input shore power neutral not jumpered through the switch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230429_082616_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	111311
    Last edited by TedS; 04-29-2023, 10:18 AM.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Perhaps all neutrals from common power source. The shore and Multiplus are effectively different power sources.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I agree with TedS on this . . . 120VAC neutral is NOT the same as 12VDC ground. Line and Neutral should connect only from the power source in use. I can see where the MultiPlus confuses this because it "boosts" shorepower. It must somehow sync with the frequency of the shorepower.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          ...​
          Do not connect Multiplus output neutral to the shore power input neutral.
          Last edited by howson; 04-29-2023, 01:10 PM.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Found this thread in my searching. Note comments to NOT bond shore neutral with Multiplus output ac neutral. Has to do with Multiplus internal ats operation.
            https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t....192084/page-2
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

OK, I'm an idiot. I posted the wrong freakin' schematics. I'm going to go back and delete the wrong ones and annotate the posts as appropriate.

These two below are current (and are shown in the https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-manual-switch thread).

Sheesh--all, please accept my apologies.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	9019 Schematic Inverter 20210509 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	111337

Click image for larger version  Name:	9019 Schematic 50A 20210509 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	111338
              Last edited by howson; 04-29-2023, 01:33 PM.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TedS

I totally get the wiring for a 30A RV. What I can't wrap my head around is running the neutral in (from shore) only to the Multiplus' in with a 50A setup.

Below is an old AMSolar diagram of their SmartATS. Isn't what I did with the switch the same as their "SmartATS" except I have to throw the switch manually?

Granted it was a mistake on my part to join the hots in the dogbone (a "Not 50A" scenario) and neglected to move the manual switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart ATS Diagram - AMSolar.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	111341
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yes, except theirs does not hot red through to the panel if I remember your diagram. After I post this I will go back and look.

On edit: Ignore this, you changed diagrams.
                  on edit: their shore red out of the stock ats does not go into the Smart ats. Why? They connected Multiplus 'out' to Smart ats shore 'in', only one hot.
                  Last edited by TedS; 04-29-2023, 02:17 PM.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS, Scott'n'Wendy, Jkwilson and Cate&Rob

So the consensus is the wiring below is how the switch and Multiplus should be wired?

Name:	9019 Schematic 50A 20230429 (Large).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	111344

Name:	9019 Schematic Inverter 20230429 (Large).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	111345

Comment

Well, move Multiplus out neutral from switch terminal 4 to switch terminal 1.
                      on edit: in first re-posted diagram. I can't keep up.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Wow...this thread has progressed since this morning....
                        I'm not a multiplus owner...so I'm a little weak there...but I like the neutral wiring over the previous deleted drawings. I'm willing to bet the multiplus does not switch the neutral internally.
                        Looks much better to me than what I remember of the first post.
                        Have you rewired like that already? And do you still have the shore breaker issue?
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Post 21 is how it is now. Yes, with that config the breaker blows if the switch is in the 50A position and I use a dogbone that has the hots connected. Everything works fine with a standard 50A cord plugged into a 50A outlet with the switch set to 50A as currently configured.

Post 24 is what I think you guys are recommending is correct with the neutral. (I didn't even think that was a problem...but is what you guys are focusing on so trying to learn why.)

TedS -- sorry...

Comment

Howard,

In your first diagram, Line 2 (Hot) needs a neutral to complete the circuit. I don't think this neutral can go back through the MultiPlus because it is out of phase (but, I don't really understand how the MultiPlus "boosts" available current). Neutrals need to switch when the Hot circuits are switched. More complex with your switch, but the concept is DPDT. One pole is Hot and one pole is Neutral.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well..I've worn out my welcome with this thread. I don't understand why it works, but as it's wired now works without any issue (and has for over two years). Without a clear understanding of what to change (and why) I'm leaving it as is. All I have to do when using a dogbone is ensure I switch over to the "Not 50" position.

At the risk of going OT, I wonder if it would have been better to wire in the switch before the EMS. If the neutral should be lost due to a switch malfunction, the EMS wouldn't allow power to pass to the camper.

Food for thought for another day...

Comment

The issue must be how the electrics are handled in the multiplus. The switch wiring, best I can tell is fine.
                                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                                X