Generator surging when charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator surging when charging

I have an odd problem since upgrading my converter to a Powermax 55 amp for use with my new lithium batteries. When the converter is in the fixed voltage mode to keep the output steady at 55 amps, my Champion 2000w generator surges. It will run at full speed for 5-10 seconds and then drop down to idle speed briefly before surging back to full power. I have confirmed that the converter is putting out the full 55a when generator is at full speed and when its hooked to shore power. This surging does not occur when the converter is switched to its 2-stage mode which doesn't output the full 55a maximum - it varies between 10-30a depending on the batteries state of charge.

I have confirmed that the generator works correctly when a 1500w space heater is connected to it and it works fine connected to the rig for anything else. And I have also confirmed that the converter's max draw is about 950 watts, well within the capability of the generator.

This problem has me stumped.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Bob - By any chance do you have an amp meter you could use to monitor the current?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
      I have an odd problem since upgrading my converter to a Powermax 55 amp for use with my new lithium batteries. When the converter is in the fixed voltage mode to keep the output steady at 55 amps, my Champion 2000w generator surges. It will run at full speed for 5-10 seconds and then drop down to idle speed briefly before surging back to full power. I have confirmed that the converter is putting out the full 55a when generator is at full speed and when its hooked to shore power. This surging does not occur when the converter is switched to its 2-stage mode which doesn't output the full 55a maximum - it varies between 10-30a depending on the batteries state of charge.

I have confirmed that the generator works correctly when a 1500w space heater is connected to it and it works fine connected to the rig for anything else. And I have also confirmed that the converter's max draw is about 950 watts, well within the capability of the generator.

This problem has me stumped.

Bob
      If you take it out of Eco mode does the surging stop?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

TucsonJim I have a Kill A Watt power monitor. It shows 11 amps when the converter is putting put 55amps DC.

ncitro also surges when Eco is off.
        2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
        2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
          TucsonJim I have a Kill A Watt power monitor. It shows 11 amps when the converter is putting put 55amps DC.

ncitro also surges when Eco is off.
          Have you tried another generator just to be sure it's not something in how that brand is providing energy to your camper? Several of my friends have switched from Champion to the Hondas or Yamahas.
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

COReflection - When my champion runs a little funky, I sometimes go to half choke for while. You might try it. 11 amps at 120 volts is just a little over 1300 watts, so excessive current draw shouldn't be an issue.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The AC amp draw should be around 1/10 the DC amps. For 55 amps DC, you would need around 6 amps AC. 11 seems high if only the converter is running.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I know this is simple, but always make sure your fridge is on LP and not auto. It will switch to 110 if on auto, Also make sure the water heater is on LP. check for other draws as well.
                Hope this helps,
                Brian
                2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
                2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

Working...
                X