No announcement yet.

120v outlet replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry TucsonJim, but I'm not following you on the clamping or securing of the conductor within 12" of the outlet box. Are you saying that the RV box clamps the wires so that they can't pull loose and that this negates the need for securing the conductors to the framing? In residential installations, aren't the conductors also clamped to the outlet box? Isn't that why the plastic boxes have those levers over the access ports, and we use collars on the metal boxes?
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694

John - Many contractors use inexpensive outlet boxes with knock out wire holes. Once the knock out is removed, the wire needs to be secured within 12" of the box. I'm attaching a photo of this type of box below. If an owner uses something like this, they need to be aware of the requirement.

If a box has a clamping method for the wire, then that will meet the requirements also. The RV style boxes have a clamping method. Many old work boxes have an entry that will clamp the wire when you pull it in. I'm just remining folks that the wire must be secured with a clamp, wire tie, or staple (within 12 inches) if they remove the original outlet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet box.png
Views:	103
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	123290

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would expect that all wiring boxes have provisions for clamping the wire at the inlet to the box. The NEC requirement that the wire be secured within 12" of the box is in addition to the box entry clamp. Whether RV manufactures accomplish this is debatable.

Edit: The Canadian Electrical Code is very similar to NEC and states
        "Secure wires every 1.5 m (5 feet) when run on the sides of joists or studs and 300 mm (12 inches) from each outlet box."

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I actually found the process to be fairly easy. I moved a few boxed from under my cabinets next to the bed on a 17MKE. If you push the "clips" in and pry a little the box will open. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry the wires out. When I moved the box I just laid the wires on top of the connector and pushed them down into place using the screwdriver right next to the metal pinch. Once all the wires are in you can just snap the back plastic of the box back on my hand. No clamps needed.
          2023 Imagine 17MKE
          2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Hybrid

Comment

Working...
          X