No announcement yet.

Can't Seem To Fix Hot Skin Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howson, Jkwilson , there is an electrical illustration in the attachment in post 14.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Oldguy001 View Post
      And the really perplexing part is that even with the main breaker in the camper in the off position, the outside skin, screws, windows, etc. are still going beep, beep with a Non-Contact voltage tester.
      A non contact voltage tester is not a reliable hot skin detector.
      Hot skin will be caused by the supply or faulty grounding on the trailer. No need to expand on Jkwilson's explanation. Pretty much covers it. But..finding it...can take time. First try a different supply. imo.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        With everything wired properly, the ECG is tied to the same point as the neutral at the service panel...
        Doh! "ECG" means "Earth Common Ground"? Sokol writes "EGC" or "Equipment Grounding Conductor"--same thing I assume. This morning when I read your response it "clicked". Thanks for the reply!

Reading your response and the linked article from TedS sent me down a rabbit hole. Sokol has a bunch of articles on the topic (which the OP is probably already aware). I've read all of the info in the past, but it's so infrequently referenced a refresh of the gray matter is required.

Based on the quote below, there appears to be complete agreement the issue is something related to the ground.
        First, you must have a lost ground wire in your RV’s shore power connection. This is technically called the EGC (for Equipment Grounding Conductor) and it needs to have a solid connection from the frame of your RV, through your shore power cord, through the pedestal connections, all the way back to the service panel’s neutral/ground bonding point. If that EGC connection is secure, then it should be impossible for your RV chassis/skin voltage to exceed more than 5 volts to earth. -Mike Sokol RVelectricity™ – RV hot-skin voltage causes: Part 1

Oldguy001 -- if you can't isolate the problem, what is consistent throughout Sokol's articles is the urgency to get the problem fixed by calling a licensed electrician. Please post back once the issue is found and fixed with details.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

As mentioned earlier, it takes two problems to create a hot skin condition. There has to be high resistance short between the line (L1 or black wire) and the RV frame for you to discover that you do not have a low resistance ground connection back to the source of the electricity. Since this reportedly occurred with the installation of the new air conditioner and power taken from the circuit provided for the front television . . . there is likely a problem there as well.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Doh! "ECG" means "Earth Common Ground"? Sokol writes "EGC" or "Equipment Grounding Conductor"--same thing I assume. This morning when I read your response it "clicked". Thanks for the reply!

Reading your response and the linked article from TedS sent me down a rabbit hole. Sokol has a bunch of articles on the topic (which the OP is probably already aware). I've read all of the info in the past, but it's so infrequently referenced a refresh of the gray matter is required.

Based on the quote below, there appears to be complete agreement the issue is something related to the ground.
            First, you must have a lost ground wire in your RV’s shore power connection. This is technically called the EGC (for Equipment Grounding Conductor) and it needs to have a solid connection from the frame of your RV, through your shore power cord, through the pedestal connections, all the way back to the service panel’s neutral/ground bonding point. If that EGC connection is secure, then it should be impossible for your RV chassis/skin voltage to exceed more than 5 volts to earth. -Mike Sokol RVelectricity™ – RV hot-skin voltage causes: Part 1

Oldguy001 -- if you can't isolate the problem, what is consistent throughout Sokol's articles is the urgency to get the problem fixed by calling a licensed electrician. Please post back once the issue is found and fixed with details.

Howard
            EGC is what I meant to type. I use ECG in another field and either I fat fingered it or my iPad decide to “helpfully” correct me

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Watching and learning here. My dad had this happen in his Airstream (70's) Don't remember the what it was or the fix, but Mom was not happy.. I think they had to rewire a bunch of stuff.

Oldguy001 Is there anyway to get some picture of the wiring in the AC unit and where he tied into that TV power. Just maybe the experts here might spot something. Also what model AC unit was installed?

Just curious

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A quick first test would be the ground continuity through the power cable to the trailer chassis. If that tests good, then the power cable is good and connected to the chassis. If that test bad, then test the ground continuity in the power cable itself. If the cable tests bad, that's the broken ground culprit. If the cable ground wire tests good, then the ground connection to the chassis is the broken ground culprit. Oldguy001 do you have a volt-ohm-meter?
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                X