getting wires from the battery conpartment to someplace withing the RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting wires from the battery conpartment to someplace withing the RV

We have a 2022 Reflection 150-Series 260RD and I want to install a decent battery monitor that I can read withing the RV and not need to open the front compartment where the batteries are located. Question: how can I rout the wires from the battery compartment to some place inside the RV so I can see it?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 02-02-2024, 08:19 PM. Reason: font

Originally posted by forresst29A View Post
    We have a 2022 Reflection 150-Series 260RD and I want to install a decent battery monitor that I can read withing the RV and not need to open the front compartment where the batteries are located. Question: how can I rout the wires from the battery compartment to some place inside the RV so I can see it?
    Welcome to the forum.

An even easier solution is a Victron SmartShunt as there's no need for a display. With the VictronConnect app on your phone you can monitor the battery. Super easy and works great. Below is what the app is showing me as of this minute on my Samsung (Android) phone.

Victron even has a new IP65 rated version so the SmartShunt can be mounted in more locations. For full info, see https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...-battery-shunt

Only caveat is this is not the cheapest alternative...but well worth the money IMHO.

Note I have the BMV-712, not the SmartShunt. The BMV is the same thing as the SmartShunt except it has a small screen (that I never use).

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	225
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	127986
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard's suggestion is spot on.

Your floor plan is similar to what I have as far as distribution panel location.
      If you wanting to run wires further back there are several paths. In the front bay behind the battery in the lower right corner you will find a big block of foam. Buried in the are wires the run from the front bay to the trailer belly. You can access the area by dropping small sections of coroplast.

The second way is drill some holes at the top of the back front bay wall, go along the ceiling of the pass through (pull the false wall) and this will get you to where GD installed you distribution panel (its mounted from the front and easy to move to see where wires run) . I drilled holes from the pass through side high up between the flooring supports into the front bay.. From there look for an opening into the wall that has the distribution panel mounted. That wall is hollow and Ill bet GD ran wires up into the acidic from there That how I ran the wiring for my Touch 50 screen form my Victron equipment that I mounted in the front bay.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

forresst29A Welcome to the family and the forum!
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Welcome. I 100% agree with the others. The Victron Smart Shunt is by far the easiest to install and use. And in my opinion, it's the most user friendly and accurate. It's $117.30 from NAZ (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun). You can also purchase it from Amazon, but NAZ offers lifetime technical support.

https://www.solar-electric.com/victr...500a-50mv.html

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Or..if you are a Canadian following this thread it is $157cad on amazon...which is about the same $
            https://www.amazon.ca/Victron-SmartS...46&sr=8-5&th=1
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I installed the SmartShunt a year ago. The Bluetooth connection has proven to be strong from anywhere within the trailer and even in the truck cab.
              2022 Reflection 280 RS
              2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

You can always do what I did and make a mess of things, put it back together best you can, wish you never did it.

Or go wireless. Your choice

Name:	bedroom ceiling wiring.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	128019

however, a touch screen display does look good and is convenient when in the trailer.

Name:	Installed.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	128020
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 - WOW! That's a huge job.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

After reading all the posts on this I decided to get the Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor rather than trying to run wires from the battery compartment.
                    Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

forresst29A - If you have any questions regarding installation or usage, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                      X