Battery Disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Disconnect

So the hydraulic system and inverter are hardwired in my 398M-R.
    When not connected to shore power or running the generator the batteries deplete even though the battery disconnect it turned off but to my understanding it’s because of the aforementioned hardwired items.
    I'm considering installing a disconnect on the negative cable to the battery and turning off the inverter when I leave my RV in storage.
    Is this the correct course of action?
    Pros and cons please if any or better solutions?
    Thanks in advance!

There are more things than just they hydraulic jacks connected.

Emergency break away switch for the electric brakes, the gas detector inside the unit, and possibly other things.

Several people have repurposed the existing on board disconnect or added a second (I chose to add a second). If you repurpose, ensure that it's in a location where it cannot accidentally get bumped and turned to the off position especially when traveling as this will disable the emergency break away.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

No issues with a true disconnect for the battery. I often tell owners that if the RV is in storage more than a couple days to disconnect the battery cable/cables, just make sure that the battery is fully or close to fully charged before disconnecting.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The electric brake breakaway does not draw power when not activated. The only benefit running it through a master disconnect switch would be to prevent activating the brakes if inadvertently activated when parked or stored.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

First of all thanks very much to all of you!
          Just to be sure I understand.
          So placing an additional disconnect in the negative cable to the battery and turning off the inverter during storage is the best solution as long as the disconnect is isolated securely in the generator / battery bay and there’s no need for a disconnect between the battery and the inverter as long as the inverter is turned off and the battery is fully charged when it’s disconnected?
          Thanks again!

Comment

Just to be sure can I have the generator set to start upon low voltage detection since it won’t detect any voltage?

Comment

When you disconnect the battery, the generator cannot detect low voltage or start because the circuitry powered by the battery will turn off (go dead) and there is no battery to start the generator. DO ensure that there is only a singe battery to frame wire from the negative thermal on the battery.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I prefer to switch the positive.. but.....I don't think there is a code associated with it re RV's.
                In automotive applications it is almost 100% positive switched.

If you look in this thread you will see a couple battery disconnects and their placement
                https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...progress/page2
                Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 02-26-2024, 07:10 AM.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

DellParker I placed one directly after my batteries on the positive cable. This allows me to completely disconnect ALL electrical devices if needed. It sounds like that's what you have in mind.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Allen,
                    I was planning to put the disconnect in the negative line by disconnecting the negative cable from the ground connection on the metal casing inside the battery / generator compartment.
                    Now I’m thinking your way is best.
                    I have two 12v batteries wired in parallel so I’m thinking you mean I should disconnect the positive cable to the main battery, place the disconnector inline of the positive cable so the disconnector turns off everything including the inverter without having to turn the inverter off and on each time I store or use my RV?
                    Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

DellParker

With two batteries in parallel, you can use a marine four position switch on the positive side. Battery 1 or battery 2 or both or off. This also gives you the flexibility to easily isolate one battery from the other, either to save it fully charged or keep a bad battery from discharging a good battery.

Rob
                      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM.
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by DellParker View Post
                        Allen,
                        I was planning to put the disconnect in the negative line by disconnecting the negative cable from the ground connection on the metal casing inside the battery / generator compartment.
                        Now I’m thinking your way is best.
                        I have two 12v batteries wired in parallel so I’m thinking you mean I should disconnect the positive cable to the main battery, place the disconnector inline of the positive cable so the disconnector turns off everything including the inverter without having to turn the inverter off and on each time I store or use my RV?
                        Thanks in advance for your help!
                        I think that's the idea. I really like Cate&Rob idea of a 4 position switch
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Not that it matters much, but breaking the ground (negative) is the same as removing the ground first so there is no accidental contact between the positive and the frame creating a direct short. Also depending on how they were in the mood for wiring that day you may have one or more positive leads coming off the battery (I've seen this on other units not made by GD). Usually there is only one negative lead to the frame though.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Just to emphasize Jlawles2 comment; if you have a generator, it will have its own positive and negative leads from the batteries. If one of these aren't disconnected, there may still be a path for the parasitic drains. The same may also be true for the inverter, but I have no real knowledge of this.
                            John
                            2018 Momentum 395M
                            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                            X