Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering 50A RV service off of the typical Small 2000W 15A, 20A, 30A generators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering 50A RV service off of the typical Small 2000W 15A, 20A, 30A generators.

I was noticing a trend in the GD line up in that almost all units are 50A service now. I know there are connection adapter to go from a 30A service to adapt the the 50a power cords to feed both legs. Some mixed reviews and thoughts on that here , but most of the State and National parks still only have 30A service. I carry a 50A to 2-30A RV plugs in case I have the opposite situation.

Boon docking
    What about the typical generators we have like the Honda 2000I or equivalent models. I have two 2000i's with the original analog parallel box to get a 30A RV service plug I can plug the stock power cord into.. I think i am rated for 25A continuous in that setting with some surge protection. I do have a bonding plug so it will work with my multiplus if that will be needed. I don't think I have run the trailer off of the generators and the multiplus yet. I vaguely remember Howard had a thread on issues and solutions using his Champion generator. I guess I will go back and search and find that again. On edit - found it. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...essons-learned

The question is how does one power both legs on a 50A unit of of the typical smaller generators. Is there an adapter that goes from15a, 30a generator plug to 50a service connection and is that safe on the generator? Do you power both legs, or just one. I do understand in that mode you might not be able to run the AC and need to watch what appliances you use at the same time

Howard howson has a great thread on the Champion 2500 dual fuel unit https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-model-100402. When I went back to read through (was looking for gen covers) I saw a 15a power cord plug in. wondering how he connected to this trailer so his Victron equipment worked?

So I guess the question is how do folks power thier 50A service off of a small generator when boon docking. - BTW Just thinking down the road and to help others. And you know me - I love adapters and all things tools.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

The adapter ties the two legs together for you. I run our 303RLS off a Honda 2000i with a 15 to 50 adapter.
    Can't help you with how the blue stuff works though.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Use a 15 to 50 amp adapter.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240314_162900_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	130273
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        The adapter ties the two legs together for you. I run our 303RLS off a Honda 2000i with a 15 to 50 adapter.
        Can't help you with how the blue stuff works though.
        Is it something like this at the generator to use you std 50A power cord? https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Dog...ba8305896&th=1

or something like this at the trailer and use a normal extension cord? https://acworks.com/products/rv515ss...marine-locking
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Use a 15 to 50 amp adapter.
          Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20240314_162900_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	130273
          LOL Thanks you posted when I was typing

Comment

Or at the other end.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240314_165127_Chrome.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	130277
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Keith

i also set my input on Multiplus to 15 amps so i don’t try to overdrive the generator

Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
              2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Yoda
                I use something similar to Teds post #6. I don't wrestle with a 50 amp cord when I'm plugging into a generator.
                Like this one....different but same idea.
                https://www.amazon.ca/HQRP-Electrica...01LDJP9WK?th=1
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I guess we can try to spend a bit more of your money.....

https://www.cummins.com/na/generator...ble-generators

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	414.5 KB ID:	130283
                  I forgot the important note:

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	130284
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
                    Keith

i also set my input on Multiplus to 15 amps so i don’t try to overdrive the generator
                    Thanks for that tip - now I need to look at my Touch 50 display and see if I can to that or do I need the adapter an plug my laptop in? I have the MKC (sp) adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	414.5 KB ID:	130283

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	130284
                      SWMBO says NO!!!! She also mumbled we have 2 generators, batterys and solar already so why do we need a new one? Can't argue with that logic. Thanks for trying though was a god laugh

Now having said that I save the information..........silence one must have.

Keith

Comment

BTW great information folks I have learned a lot.
                        MY round -to -it list is growing

Fridge - install new fridge fan on evap fins and repair the Baffle messed up at the National Rally - need to fix the temp repair.
                        Sway bar Install
                        12V power ports in the TV cabinet so I can carry my Dometic chest freezer in the trailer and not the truck bed expose to the elements.
                        Remove Chase lounge and install my Amish reclines - include a way to secure them during travel. Try to sell chase lounge.
                        Install new Vision Works antenna at front of trailer (get on roof ) for better reception. They sent me free an new extended version.of thier aux antenna.
                        Check brake drag - especially on wheel that flat spotted a tire (new axles) and change tire out with new spare.
                        Install a weather proof 12v 20A power point plug in truck bed.
                        Fix door side drawers that failed during the Alaska trip. New slides and support structure. Temp fix not holding.
                        Repack, sort, and itemize all my storage boxes with a printed list of what is inside - that will take a while.

There are more but CRS just hit.
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	414.5 KB ID:	130283
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	5 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	130284
                          BTW for my records is there and on line source?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

BTW for my records is there and on line source?
                            I don't know about online, you would have to look. I saw them at the dealership where we bought the 303. I cannot justify one either. Current inventory is a 3500 watt and a 7500 watt, both running amps. Those get pulled out and used once every couple of years when we have storms.

I know Cummins has an online store, but you may find it cheaper somewhere else.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I use one similar to those already suggested, 50 to 15 at the camper, and use a heavy extension cord, mine is a 90 degree model so the plug hangs straight down. Camco brand I think. This is also used at home as I do not need all 50 amps.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X