Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powering 50A RV service off of the typical Small 2000W 15A, 20A, 30A generators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoda
    I don't have much to add to this thread other than the Champion I carry is intended to charge the Battle Born batteries (400aH) should the need arise. All I need to do is set the Multiplus input limiting current to ~13A and that about maxes out the capability of the small generator on propane. That, of course, translates to about 130A of 12vDC going to the battery bank. Since BB best practice is to charge at no more the .5C, and I have four 100aH BBs in parallel, theoretically I could use up to 200A but don't want to carry a larger generator.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda I took an old 30A cord I had and put a 50A end on it (SmartPower for mine), so when I don’t need the beast I can use the lighter smaller cord. I just took a piece of 10 gauge wire and tied the L1&L2 pins together on the 50A end. It’s protected by the 30A breaker on the pedestal or generator.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda We use a 30A cord with a 50A receiver on the camper side and 30A plug on the campground side. We never need 50A, so no reason to carry around the heavy, cumbersome 50A cord. We also have the Honda 2000 generator. Honda sells what they call a "RV Adapter". It converts a NEMA L5-30 to a 30A plug. When I use the generator, I can put up to 90A through to charge the batteries. This is also using the 100A Powermax converter. It works well and recharges the lithium batteries quickly. We usually boondock relying on solar panels, so we don't use these very often, but they do the job for us when needed.
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
        X