Looking at mixing LiFePO4 batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at mixing LiFePO4 batteries

So, what could go wrong? Current battery setup. Two Lion 1300 batteries on the A-frame. All wiring including inverter is on the front wall. Just upgraded to the Renogy 3000 and it is working as designed. Installed the micro-air soft start and can now run the air conditioner on the system, for a short time. Have 600 on the roof with 200 solar addon via foldable panel going into a Victron 100/15, main solar on a Victron 100/50.

Looking at the Litime 280 and mounting it inside the passthrough next to the water center thing up against the wall. All additional from there will be mounted on the rear wall with 2/0 running to the Victron shunt and then to the positive busbar in the same system with a shutoff and it's own 250 AMP breaker in place and to it's own busbar. With the 3000 installation I ran very short 4/0 to the inverter with the positive going from the positive busbar to a BlueSea 40 AMP fuse block then to the inverter.

The LiTime uses the same charging profile as the Lion's. I believe this will work, until, I decide to add a second LiTime 280 and if it fits, could go into the A-frame box.

My question is. Am I very far off base in my thinking. Is this be doable?
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Doable but use some caution. I have heard that one should not add new batteries when the original battery is older than 6 months. Using different makes of batteries is usually a no no as their BMS might not agree with the charging or discharging parameters of each other. I think if you are considering adding a second LiTime in the near future try to sell the Lion brand ones and make the move to 2 Litimes now.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

On my last rig, I had three Battle Born batteries and I was considering adding another a couple of years later. I called Battle Born customer service and they advised against doing this. They told me that the batteries should be within two years of each other, and added that you should never mix battery manufacturers.

But there may be a simple solution for what you're trying to do. Purchase a battery switch that will allow you to switch between the different battery banks. If the LION bank starts to run low, switch to the LiTime and vice Versa. Of course if you do this, you'll need to figure out how to charge each bank separately, but I'm sure it could be done.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        On my last rig, I had three Battle Born batteries and I was considering adding another a couple of years later. I called Battle Born customer service and they advised against doing this. They told me that the batteries should be within two years of each other, and added that you should never mix battery manufacturers.

But there may be a simple solution for what you're trying to do. Purchase a battery switch that will allow you to switch between the different battery banks. If the LION bank starts to run low, switch to the LiTime and vice Versa. Of course if you do this, you'll need to figure out how to charge each bank separately, but I'm sure it could be done.

Jim
        I will have both battery banks on their own circuit up to the main feed with each having their own switch. So yes, shutting one down or isolating each one without be easy if needed.
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

I have 2 different LiFePh batteries in my setup. One's a Renogy and the other is a LiTime. I did a little research before buying the LiTime and came to the conclusion that mixing it with the Renogy would be OK as long as I installed a 3 way shutoff between each battery and the busbar. The 3 way enables me to have both running or just one of them running (or all off). Every so often I will just have one battery on to allow it to fully charge and equalize on its own. I also make sure the charge states of both batteries are equal before turning both of them on. This minimizes any in-rush of a high voltage battery to a low voltage battery.
          Mitchell & Kitty
          2022 Imagine 2670MK
          2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
            I have 2 different LiFePh batteries in my setup. One's a Renogy and the other is a LiTime. I did a little research before buying the LiTime and came to the conclusion that mixing it with the Renogy would be OK as long as I installed a 3 way shutoff between each battery and the busbar. The 3 way enables me to have both running or just one of them running (or all off). Every so often I will just have one battery on to allow it to fully charge and equalize on its own. I also make sure the charge states of both batteries are equal before turning both of them on. This minimizes any in-rush of a high voltage battery to a low voltage battery.
            Good to hear. I'll stay with each battery on its own circuit so to speak. That way I can energize each as needed or wanted by turning the cutoff switch off or on. Good point on the voltage slam. I'll incorporate a regime where if I do turn on one or the other I'll make sure I turn off the solar controller, turn on the bank and then turn the solar back on.

Comment

I agree to keep them on separate circuits, unfortunately that means will not have the benefit of multiple batteries in parallel for larger loads (parallel batteries sums the BMS allowed amps out and in). I still think its the right decision but thought I should point it out.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have decided not to mix batteries. I have gone a different direction and I'll post on a new thread in a day or so. Came out real well with one slight hiccup bit that was overcome.

Comment

What are the issues with mixing battery brands and sizes?
                  Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
                  2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
                  2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post
                    What are the issues with mixing battery brands and sizes?
                    The main issue is if charge profiles differ, as well as other specific characteristics that might vary from one battery (usually in the internal BMS) to another.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

The main issue is if charge profiles differ, as well as other specific characteristics that might vary from one battery (usually in the internal BMS) to another.
                      That was my main concern, along with cost to go forward. The cost, turned out to be a nothing burger for me anyway. I'll post the results in a day or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X