GFCI and 22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI and 22MLE

I have had this problem before but after a while it fixed itself. My GFCI plug on my 22MLE tripped but won’t reset. Any suggestions?

Also this seemed to happened both this time and last time when I plugged in to shore power. Is there an order of things to do when connecting to shore power. And yes I do use a 30 amp Rv surge protector

I love my 22MLE but this is really starting to bug me

Thanks
    ​Brian
    Brian Boulden
    2020 22MLE
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD
    Ham Radio W4BJB
    GMRS Radio WRTE415​

I would suspect the problem is somewhere in the trailer. Connecting to shore power completes the return ground connection to carry the power leak to shore system ground. What appliances are plugged into the gfci-protected receptacles? Unplug them to see if the gfci no longer trips. That will determine if the fault is in an appliance or the trailer wiring.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I have from what I can tell 4 GCFI plugs. One by the microwave, 2 by the kitchen sink and one in the bathroom. Only the bathroom has a button. The only think plugged into the GCFI (known) plugs is a night light
      Brian Boulden
      2020 22MLE
      2020 Silverado 2500 HD
      Ham Radio W4BJB
      GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

bjboulden

The 22MLE information at my disposal does not show a specific GFCI circuit labeled on the circuit breaker panel. Working backwards (and assuming the bathroom breaker is on a GFCI circuit) that means the General circuit in your camper is GFCI protected. (A lot of qualifications in that last sentence!)

Further assuming that what I'm viewing matches your camper there are multiple outlets that should be on that one breaker.

Below is a diagram with just the General circuit ("D"). All extraneous information was deleted. Look closely for all the "D" labeled outlets (some of them are highlighted with an arrow).

All of these outlets, if the diagram is correct, should NOT work if the General circuit breaker is OFF or a GFCI outlet has tripped. (There's at least one GFCI outlet somewhere--maybe even more than one.)

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	22MLE General Circuit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	132379
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, thank you for the information. I have not checked the plug up by the bed, but I will do that in the next hour when I get home. None of the outlets have a button that I’ve seen so far except for the one in the bathroom. So no way to trip them back.

i’m out right now picking up a new plug, just in case that’s something to consider to replace it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind. I am no electrician.
          Brian Boulden
          2020 22MLE
          2020 Silverado 2500 HD
          Ham Radio W4BJB
          GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

Originally posted by bjboulden View Post
            I have from what I can tell 4 GCFI plugs. One by the microwave, 2 by the kitchen sink and one in the bathroom. Only the bathroom has a button. The only think plugged into the GCFI (known) plugs is a night light
            Brian
            Howard knows what he is talking about. Do you have a plug tester and/or multi-meter? I carry both. The plug tester https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ge...ce=1&gclsrc=ds is handy to check outlets including the one on the shore power posts that most campgrounds have. Now as for the surge protector is it just a surge protector or an EMS unit like this https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ . I have the EMS PT30x and the first thing I do is plug it into the campground power and use it to check the condition of the power. If there is a problem it will not power the trailer up. The second step is to plug the camper power cable into the EMS. If it is just a surge protector it could be going bad.

Now the multi meter is handy to actually check the outlet wiring. If you suspect the master GFI is bad (it does happen) you can pull the outlet and check the power into it. If there is power in and nothing out, then I would replace. HD. Lowes or most good hardware stores carry them. If you don't feel comfortable working around 120V get help.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Whether or not there is a surge protector or ems doesn't matter. Those devices only sense and react to upstream events. They don't have a clue about what happens downstream to the trailer.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bjboulden View Post
                I am no electrician.
                "New plug"? Do you mean outlet? A GFCI in the RV is the same as a standard household outlet, but all the "RV" types are different.

I highly suggest grabbing a friend who's electrically-savvy or biting the bullet and paying a competent RV technician to diagnose the issue. Either way is a lot less expensive than a trip to the ER...(please be careful!).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240420_111759_Chrome.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	132404 Be sure to correctly connect 'line' and 'load' if replacing a gfci receptacle.
                  Last edited by TedS; 04-20-2024, 12:20 PM.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Ok so I get home and walk into the trailer and the reset button works and now everything is back to normal.

I didn’t get a plug as every major hardware store was out.

I do have a multi meter but to be honest I haven’t used it and I need to get a book on it. That’s my next project 😁

I am just hoping no problems this weekend when we go out
                    Brian Boulden
                    2020 22MLE
                    2020 Silverado 2500 HD
                    Ham Radio W4BJB
                    GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

"New plug"? Do you mean outlet? A GFCI in the RV is the same as a standard household outlet, but all the "RV" types are different.

I highly suggest grabbing a friend who's electrically-savvy or biting the bullet and paying a competent RV technician to diagnose the issue. Either way is a lot less expensive than a trip to the ER...(please be careful!).
                      Point well taken
                      Brian Boulden
                      2020 22MLE
                      2020 Silverado 2500 HD
                      Ham Radio W4BJB
                      GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

Another device I keep handy is an electrical current proximity detector. Mine reminds me of a penlight. If I get close to a live circuit with the tip of the detector the warning light flashes and an audio alarm starts beeping. Handy for tracing where wires are behind a wall and determining if a circuit without a plug is actually off.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                          Another device I keep handy is an electrical current proximity detector. Mine reminds me of a penlight. If I get close to a live circuit with the tip of the detector the warning light flashes and an audio alarm starts beeping. Handy for tracing where wires are behind a wall and determining if a circuit without a plug is actually off.
                          Ok that’s cool. Never heard of that. New toy!!
                          Brian Boulden
                          2020 22MLE
                          2020 Silverado 2500 HD
                          Ham Radio W4BJB
                          GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

There's one GFCI outlet in a 22mle. It's in the bathroom and all the other outlets are wired in series to its load, so if any one of them trips it, they're all out. One thing to check is the outlet that is outside the camper. If it gets water in it the GFCI will trip. I've never had this happen to ours, but I've read where it happened to others, so worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Brian
                              Howard knows what he is talking about. Do you have a plug tester and/or multi-meter? I carry both. The plug tester https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Ge...ce=1&gclsrc=ds is handy to check outlets including the one on the shore power posts that most campgrounds have. Now as for the surge protector is it just a surge protector or an EMS unit like this https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ . I have the EMS PT30x and the first thing I do is plug it into the campground power and use it to check the condition of the power. If there is a problem it will not power the trailer up. The second step is to plug the camper power cable into the EMS. If it is just a surge protector it could be going bad.

Now the multi meter is handy to actually check the outlet wiring. If you suspect the master GFI is bad (it does happen) you can pull the outlet and check the power into it. If there is power in and nothing out, then I would replace. HD. Lowes or most good hardware stores carry them. If you don't feel comfortable working around 120V get help.

Keith
                              Keith
                              i actually have that multimeter and surge protector you listed. The GFI popped again yesterday and now I’m back to zero. The surge protector is flashing an E2 error code. Normally it’s an E0 so not sure what changed or where the error is

Brian
                              Brian Boulden
                              2020 22MLE
                              2020 Silverado 2500 HD
                              Ham Radio W4BJB
                              GMRS Radio WRTE415​

Comment

Working...
                              X