What Size Fuse for CPAP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Size Fuse for CPAP?

Moderator Note: Slight edit of original text below so it makes sense in context as the post below was moved from another thread. -Howard

I'm going to install a cigarette lighter plug for my cpap. I'm planning to run 12 awg to the battery self resetting circiut breaker with an inline fuse. I have a Phillips DreamStation
    cpap. Does anybody see any problems with this, and what size inline fuse shoud I get, 10a? I attached a pic of my 12v adapter specs.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 04-30-2024, 05:43 AM.
    2022 Reflection 150 series 260RD
    2015 F150, Air Lift air bag system. B&W Patriot 16k

Originally posted by bilco82 View Post
    I'm going to install a cigarette lighter plug for my cpap. I'm planning to run 12 awg to the battery self resetting circiut breaker with an inline fuse. I have a Phillips DreamStation cpap. Does anybody see any problems with this, and what size inline fuse shoud I get, 10a? I attached a pic of my 12v adapter specs.
    This thread might help you
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...wer-in-bedroom
    Last edited by howson; 04-30-2024, 05:43 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      I read that thread already. Great work, but I don't really want to add a fuse box.
      Last edited by bilco82; 04-30-2024, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I read that thread already. Great work, but I don't really want to padd a fuse box.
        Understand
        I added the fuse block as I had 2 CPAP's to power and other projects planed such as my reverse lightning.

Best wishes on your install
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

bilco82 -- from my own research on the topic of fuses the standard advice is to fuse at 25% over the maximum amperage load. So while a 10A fuse is a bit over this value, it should work fine with 12AWG for a device that is spec'd at 80W. (80W / 12V = 6A)

ncitro -- you agree? (I'm on my first cup of coffee so could be 1/2 asleep...)

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Understand
            I added the fuse block as I had 2 CPAP's to power and other projects planed such as my reverse lightning.

Best wishes on your install
            Keith
            Thanks, Keith. I hope I didn't offend you. Your install looks great, just a bit more than I want to tackle at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              bilco82 -- from my own research on the topic of fuses the standard advice is to fuse at 25% over the maximum amperage load. So while a 10A fuse is a bit over this value, it should work fine with 12AWG for a device that is spec'd at 80W. (80W / 12V = 6A)

Howard
              I would probably be fine with 14 guage wire instead of 12, wouldn't I? Or should I stay with 12?

Comment

I would probably be fine with 14 guage wire instead of 12, wouldn't I? Or should I stay with 12?
                Since it's a low voltage circuit (12vDC), I'd stick with the 12AWG unless there's a compelling reason (space through a grommet, physical connection limitations on the appliance, etc) since the larger wire will have less resistance. It's a very slight resistance difference--certainly not enough to justify replacing existing 14AWG with 12AWG -- but if stringing new wire why not use the 12AWG?

Quality connectors are vital in a low voltage system, too. Will Prowse on his YouTube channel has an informative video on the topic of quality wiring and connections and the affect on a solar setup (which, obviously, is a low voltage system).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks, Keith. I hope I didn't offend you. Your install looks great, just a bit more than I want to tackle at this time.
                  Not at al offended. Whats important is having your project work out.

However Ill bet a cup of coffee that down the road you will find that the extra fuse bock would have come in handy for another project This wonderful place can spark projects you haven't dreamed of yet .

Safe Travels
                  Keith

Comment

Not at al offended. Whats important is having your project work out.

However Ill bet a cup of coffee that down the road you will find that the extra fuse bock would have come in handy for another project This wonderful place can spark projects you haven't dreamed of yet .

Safe Travels
                    Keith
                    You may be right, but I'm ready for a break! I've been working on this thing for several weeks, including changing to lithium batterier, new converter, electric fireplace, and a million other little projects. I"m "projected out", (that doesn't sound right, grammitacally, but I'm sure you get my point lol).

Comment

You may be right, but I'm ready for a break! I've been working on this thing for several weeks, including changing to lithium batterier, new converter, electric fireplace, and a million other little projects. I"m "projected out", (that doesn't sound right, grammitacally, but I'm sure you get my point lol).
                      LOL I am curious of the Fireplace project. Did you happen to do a write up or pictures?

And yes projectphobia has got us all from time to time - even me. I have got a bunch of round-to-it projects to complete myself. on the trailer Just need a kick in the hiney to get going. An then there the house projects like mowing, painting. floor refinishing, roof and other stuff. I am solving my mowing problem though - just ordered a Bobcat ZT3552SG Zero Turn

Keith

Comment

bilco82 if you happen take pics of how you did your 12volt plug project, please share.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard
                          Sorry slammed today and just getting caught up on posts, but that math looks right to me.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

LOL I am curious of the Fireplace project. Did you happen to do a write up or pictures?

And yes projectphobia has got us all from time to time - even me. I have got a bunch of round-to-it projects to complete myself. on the trailer Just need a kick in the hiney to get going. An then there the house projects like mowing, painting. floor refinishing, roof and other stuff. I am solving my mowing problem though - just ordered a Bobcat ZT3552SG Zero Turn

Keith
                            Well.. I have one picture. Sorry lol. There's a guy on the Grand Design 260RD facebook page that posted photos and gave step by step directions. I pretty much copied his install. I had to put the mounting brackets on the outside because the bracket in the corner would not fit. I'm happy with how it turned out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                              bilco82 if you happen take pics of how you did your 12volt plug project, please share.
                              I ran the wire this evening. I'll take some pics when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                              X