Adding to Factory 12vdc lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding to Factory 12vdc lights

Jkwilson and any other EE's or other knowledgeable persons..

I want to add about 4' of led strip lighting off the switched/motion sensor light in the pantry. I took the 12vdc light apart and the existing switch that switches between 'ON' or 'Motion Activated' is rated for 10a @ 250vac...no DC rating on it. Any guesses as to a dc load it could handle? I realize with no rating on the side it is not supposed to be connected to dc but it already is along with numerous other lights in the trailer......

I am going to power up the strip light and see what it draws for amperage..I'll be surprised if it is over an amp
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-04-2024, 04:37 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I want to add about 4' of led strip lighting off the switched/motion sensor light in the pantry. I took the 12vdc light apart and the existing switch that switches between 'ON' or 'Motion Activated' is rated for 10a @ 250vac...no DC rating on it. Any guesses as to a dc load it could handle? I realize with no rating on the side it is not supposed to be connected to ac but it already is along with numerous other lights in the trailer......

I am going to power up the strip light and see what it draws for amperage..I'll be surprised if it is over an amp
    With no math or "proof" I can tell you I have done this to most of my motion lights in the rear storage, front bay, and some of the closets with no issue. Obviously do so at your own risk.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I found this on the web:

"The LED strip lists the total wattage as 24 Watts, or 4.8 Watts per meter. This checks out, because there are 5 meters per reel, and 4.8 Watts/meter * 5 meters = 24 Watts. A = 2.0 Amps. In electrical terms, we now know that at 12V, this LED strip will draw about 24 Watts per reel (5 meters), or about 2.0 Amps."​
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I want to add about 4' of led strip lighting off the switched/motion sensor light in the pantry. I took the 12vdc light apart and the existing switch that switches between 'ON' or 'Motion Activated' is rated for 10a @ 250vac...no DC rating on it. Any guesses as to a dc load it could handle? I realize with no rating on the side it is not supposed to be connected to ac but it already is along with numerous other lights in the trailer......

We have a 295Rl which has the same pantry as your 303. I have done the exact mod you are contemplating and there were no issues. Not sure of the exact length of the led strip but it runs inside the door frame and up one side of the door, across the top and down the other side so roughly 12 ft (?). Anyhow, fairly easy mod and the DW loves it. Tricky part was finding and soldering to the correct wires in the original motion light fixture so light strip operates with the motion light. Good luck.
        John and Karyn
        Hillsboro, Oregon
        2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

There's quite a few documented mods of this nature here on the forum. Mine is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rip-lights-mod

No issues at all with the setup (thread is from 2019!).
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There's quite a few documented mods of this nature here on the forum. Mine is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rip-lights-mod

No issues at all with the setup (thread is from 2019!).

I should have added in my post that I got my inspiration and instructions from the excellent post referenced to and written by Howson.
            John and Karyn
            Hillsboro, Oregon
            2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

Should be fine up to 10A in most cases. Generally things like switches don’t care whether it’s AC or DC unless they are switching loads like motors.

John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

howson Just adding these pics because my 2021 303 has similar lights but there is a small difference in layout. Just thought I'd post up a couple pics showing the differences.

In the first picture, the 2021 lights look like this once you pop off the connection cover with a small screwdriver. You will notice, same as Howard's lights that the black 12vdc+ wire attaches to the motion sensor board then to the led's. The white -12vdc wire attaches to the centre tab of the three position switch. Depending on the position of the switch the -12vdc will be connected directly to the led's, or to the motion sensor board completing the cct to enable the motion sensor. when motion is detected the -12vdc will be connected to the led's through the board. At the led's, the white wire from the switch and the white wire from the motion sensor are attached at a common point. So one wire needs to be soldered onto the switch for the led string for full funtionality.
                Second picture shows where the -12vdc wire for the led tape.
                Third pic is with it closed back up.
                Our trailer had 3 connection WAGO connectors behind the light so just reconnect the light wires where they were before and connect the led string +12vdc wire to the +12vdc WAGO connector and connect the -12vdc led string wire to the wire you soldered to the factory light.
                So everything electrically is the same as Howards original write up, just lights are physically a little different​
                Attached Files
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                X