Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from OEM 12v, 75ah battery to Battle Born 12v, 100ah battery

Hello all,
    I just purchased a 2021 GD Imagine Xls 22rbe about a month ago. I will almost certainly be installing solar panels in the future but for now I’m planning some baby steps. After educating myself with the inadequacies of OEM battery monitors, I have purchased a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor. I currently have only one OEM battery described above. I know almost nothing about electronics or electricity so even the simplest of electronic tasks requires quite a bit of research on my part. These days I live on YouTube!

I have some questions and hope some of you can help.

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring.
    2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track?
    3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts?
    4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer?

thanks for your time and any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Pat

PatIdiart

Welcome to the Forum , glad to have you join us. Others with more knowledge will be along to help you out. I just wanted to say that Grand Design does not provide the original battery that is on your unit, this item is Dealer supplied. The wiring in the RV's is capable of handling the voltage from this supplied battery , maybe more but i am not sure. There are plenty of threads here , some similar to what you are looking for , that have upgraded the wiring which I am sure you will need to do. You will also benefit from changing the converter to a Lithium friendly one. On to the more knowledgeable group now.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by PatIdiart View Post
      Hello all,
      I just purchased a 2021 GD Imagine Xls 22rbe about a month ago. I will almost certainly be installing solar panels in the future but for now I’m planning some baby steps. After educating myself with the inadequacies of OEM battery monitors, I have purchased a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor. I currently have only one OEM battery described above. I know almost nothing about electronics or electricity so even the simplest of electronic tasks requires quite a bit of research on my part. These days I live on YouTube!

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring.
      2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track?
      3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts?
      4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer?

Pat
      Hi Pat and welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

I'm going to point you to a few threads that have a lot of information that will answer your questions (and maybe provide info you hadn't considered).

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lts-f-350-mods Look for the link to the Electrical Project Presentation v7 reduced size.pdf

bellis is currently doing almost exactly what you're contemplating on his Imagine 2400BH: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-and-questions A lot of info in that thread.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hello all,

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring. Yes - The current wiring will work fine. A Battle Born battery has more useable amp hours, but does not "force" more current into your system. The wiring size is based on the current draw of the trailer and the amount of current that is provided by the converter to recharge the batteries. GDRV based the wire size on industry accepted calculators. As long as you don't change the size of the coverter (for charging the batteries), or the electrical demand inside the trailer, your wiring will be fine. Speaking of converters, your current WFCO converter will charge the batteries just fine. But if you want faster charging, you can switch the converter to a lithium dedicated variety for about $250. If you want to go this route please let me know and I'll help you with the change-over.

2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track? The key words you used are "my usage". If you're not going to be installing an inverter and having high demand draws such as trying to run the microwave or a coffee pot, you should be fine. You'll have approximately 200 amp hours of useable power vs. the 45-50 you have with your dealer supplied battery. I personally have three Battle Born batteries and I've yet to draw more than 180 amp hours. And that includes running a TV for several hours, a microwave for 30 minutes per day, a coffee pot for an hour, and the furnace all night! You'll be fine. And if your usage changes, you can increase your battery bank at a later date.

3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts? I started out with 300 watts of solar and two BB batteries. It worked great for me. 400 watts should provide about 120 amp hours of recharge to your battery bank in a solar day. Once again, unless your're drawing more than 120 amp hours per day, you'll be in great shape. And if you run into a very cloudy day or shady space, the generator will provide good back up.

4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer? I know Brian has already let you know that the battery was provided by your dealer. The majoriity of campers drive their trailers to an RV park and have hookups. So one battery is just fine. I suppose you could have negotiated different batteries into your purchase, but you're probably better off in the long run adding your own.

As for the wiring. You'll be fine. If you ever install an inverter, you'll need to run 2/0 AWG for a 2,000 watt inverter, or 4/0 for a 3,000 watt unit. But that is just between the batteries and the inverter, not the whole coach.

Pat
        Hi Pat - These are some great questions your asking and hopefully my responses in RED above will help. If you have further questions, please ask away.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hello all,

Pat
          Pat:

I have learned a ton from Jim and Howard...but as Howard said, I am in the process of going through some of this on my new 2020 2400BH. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-and-questions

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring. You could, but I moved my batteries off the tongue and into the pass through. I could not stomach ~$2700 in batteries out there in an easy to steal location. I also upgraded my wiring to 2/0 from battery to a bus bar and then 4/0 from the bus bar to the battery switch. I wired each battery to a bus bar because of resistance. Want = and as little resistance from the batteries as possible....want the maximum performance out of them I can get. But, your wiring is OK.
          2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track? This is one of those "it depends". What are you trying to do? If you are looking at getting an inverter (recommend pure sine wave inverter) then you could go with a 2000 watt or a 1000 watt inverter. I would not recommend a 3000 watt inverter...not unless you add a battery.
          3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts? Again, not sure what you are trying to accomplish...or if I am the best person to answer. I also hope to install solar in the future...I have a solar controller mounted already! I bought a honda EU2200i generator and did a propane conversion on it from Hutch Mountain. Again, check out my thread above.
          4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer? Eh, they may have gone as cheap as they could...they have to keep pricing competitive...but I don't think they went unsafe by any stretch and I do not think that you will need to re-wire your entire camper. Depending on what you want to accomplish and where you install items...you may need to do some wiring. But, if you are using all the factory locations...maybe not or very minimal. Depends on if you are installing an inverter etc.
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Wow, guys, alot of information has been provided. I need to digest this all but want to thank you all for your time and knowledge. I’m sure I’ll have more questions but it it reassuring to know that fellow owners are there to help.
            Hope you all have a great day,
            Pat

Comment

Jim, you mention going to a lithium friendly converter. I think I read that Battle Born actually recommends tnis change from the converter currently in my trailer. Is this a major process? Does the replacement converter you have in mind simply replace the entire converter I now have or is this an add-on unit. Hope this post makes some sense to you. I simply have no experience with converters and have no idea as to what is involved in order to switch to a lithium friendly unit.

Thanks,
              Pat

Comment

Jim, you mention going to a lithium friendly converter. I think I read that Battle Born actually recommends tnis change from the converter currently in my trailer. Is this a major process? Does the replacement converter you have in mind simply replace the entire converter I now have or is this an add-on unit. Hope this post makes some sense to you. I simply have no experience with converters and have no idea as to what is involved in order to switch to a lithium friendly unit.

Thanks,
                Pat
                Pat -- please "tag" an individual if you don't use the "Quote" feature. To "tag" use the @ symbol followed by their username, like this: TucsonJim

(Jim--see post 6.)

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks,
                  Pat
                  I’m sure Jim will be along shortly, but I can tell you it’s pretty straightforward. They make them that drop in right where your factory one is, but most tend to move it closer to the batteries so it charges better (less voltage drop from the charger). This also allows you to keep your factory converter in place turned off as a backup.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

PatIdiart

I did switch my original WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics unit that is specifically designated for LiFePO4 batteries such as Battle Born.

The primary difference is that the LiFePO4 charger charges at a constant 14.6 volts, and the current tapers off as the battery reaches full charge. The WFCO unit is better designed for flooded or AGM batteries and has multiple voltage levels based on the charge status of the batteries. A constant voltage charger will charge the batteries MUCH quicker.

I installed mine in the same location as the original converter on my travel trailer. This meant no changes at all to the wiring. Simply unplug the OEM converter and disconnect the negative and positive wires (make sure you disconnect the battery first). The reverse the process to install the new converter.

If you want to go this route, please provide the WFCO Model Number and I can help you select the correct model number for your replacement converter.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Jim,
                      I believe that I have the WFCO 8735P.

Comment

Jim,
                        I believe that I have the WFCO 8735P.
                        This muddies the water some. The WFCO 8735P is not only a converter, it is also your 120V AC and 12V DC power distribution center.

This is a much more complicated change than swapping out a stand alone converter. I will need to do some research on how to accomplish a task like this. In the mean time, if anyone has experience installing a LiFePO4 charger into a unit that has a converter/power distribution center, please weigh in.

Before we proceed any farther. How confident are you with your ability to run wires, make connections, modify circuits, and use an electrical meter?

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

This muddies the water some. The WFCO 8735P is not only a converter, it is also your 120V AC and 12V DC power distribution center.

This is a much more complicated change than swapping out a stand alone converter. I will need to do some research on how to accomplish a task like this. In the mean time, if anyone has experience installing a LiFePO4 charger into a unit that has a converter/power distribution center, please weigh in.

Before we proceed any farther. How confident are you with your ability to run wires, make connections, modify circuits, and use an electrical meter?

Jim
                          Jim and PatIdiart ,

Take a look at this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...charger-module

What Running from Gnats did may help.

Howard

Comment

Jim
                            Unfortunately not. I had one in my old rig and I just installed a deck mount near the batteries instead of upgrading it.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Jim
                              Jim, I think this project is beyond my abilities. Since switching to BB lithium batteries seem to be a pretty involved ordeal and since I have a brand new flooded acid battery that came with the trailer, it might be best just to add a second similar battery and when they crap out, rethink the situation at that point. Thanks somuch for your input and help!

Comment

Working...
                              X