Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cannot plug in without tripping my circuit breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot plug in without tripping my circuit breaker.

I brought my camper home after being in storage since mid-April. I go to plug into the house and it tripped my 30 amp circuit (to a 20 amp recepticle). I reset and tried again, again the breaker tripped. I turned off the Main breakers in the trailer, still the house breaker trips when I attempt to plug in. I then used a different combination of cords, I have multiple, all with the same result. The outlet works fine when using power tools. I went to my RV dealer and bought a new 50 to 15 adapter, same result.
    Where can I start my own diagnostics within the trailer to figure this out and possibly salvage my upcoming vacation?

Is the house breaker a GFI? If so, try running an extension cord to a non-gfi protected outlet and see if it powers up.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
      I brought my camper home after being in storage since mid-April. I go to plug into the house and it tripped my 30 amp circuit (to a 20 amp recepticle). I reset and tried again, again the breaker tripped. I turned off the Main breakers in the trailer, still the house breaker trips when I attempt to plug in. I then used a different combination of cords, I have multiple, all with the same result. The outlet works fine when using power tools. I went to my RV dealer and bought a new 50 to 15 adapter, same result.
      Where can I start my own diagnostics within the trailer to figure this out and possibly salvage my upcoming vacation?
      I'm be following along and will let Jim lead the responses. Do you have access to (and know how to use) a multimeter? (Knowing that will help Jim if further troubleshooting is required.)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Is the breaker a GFCI breaker? Does your Solitude have a generator or generator prep? Has it ever worked on this outlet?

It would be a big help if you could fill in some details about what you have.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

No it is not a GFCI breaker. This is a standard 20 amp outlet on a 30 amp circuit. This is what I do prior to every vacation: pull it home, plug it in with the appropriate adapters, go about preparing for the trip. Come home, plug it in, empty the camper and tow to storage. I've been on the phone with GD Cust Service Brian and he had me inspect the back side of the 50 amp plug. No problem. I pulled the wall from the bsmt storage looking for evidence of mice etc, nothing fouind. I took the panel off the wall to be sure my connections are tight, they are. I'm good with talking this through on the phone if someone has the time.

Comment

Just to make sure. Verify that the electric hot water heater switch is turned off, and that your thermostats are turned off. I kept tripping mine on a 15 amp breaker because the water heater was on.

But if you shut off the main breakers in the RV first, that shouldn't be an issue.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Yes they are off. As a matter of fact I've switched off the 2 Mains.

Comment

No it is not a GFCI breaker. This is a standard 20 amp outlet on a 30 amp circuit. This is what I do prior to every vacation: pull it home, plug it in with the appropriate adapters, go about preparing for the trip. Come home, plug it in, empty the camper and tow to storage. I've been on the phone with GD Cust Service Brian and he had me inspect the back side of the 50 amp plug. No problem. I pulled the wall from the bsmt storage looking for evidence of mice etc, nothing fouind. I took the panel off the wall to be sure my connections are tight, they are. I'm good with talking this through on the phone if someone has the time.
                I'm with Jim--if you're turning off the main breakers there shouldn't be an issue post-power distribution panel.

Points to the RV's cable (one of the connectors) or possibly the connector on the camper itself. If you have a multimeter (and know how to use it) that is the best way to isolate/test. If you don't have said meter and/or don't know how to use it we'll have to figure something else out.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Yes they are off. As a matter of fact I've switched off the 2 Mains.
                  With the mains off, it’s either the cord, the receptacle on the rig, or the wiring on the rig. Easiest to troubleshoot is the cord, you can check it with a meter if you’re comfortable or get one of these and try it with a regular extension cord:

Leisure Cords 12" 90-Degree Dogbone RV Adapter 15 Amp Male and 50 Amp Female with Twist Lock and LED Power indicator (15 Amp Male - 50 Amp Female Twist) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V59B19Y..._j.FeFb835VTQ3
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I got my multi meter out and 50 amp cord plugged into the adapter which is plugged into the wall.

Comment

I got my multi meter out and 50 amp cord plugged into the adapter which is plugged into the wall.
                      OK--since you have a multimeter that will make it a lot easier to isolate. I don't want to step all over Jim so again I'll step back and read...

Howard & Francine

Comment

I'm going out to my rig right now to get some DVM readings and I'll be right back to share them with you.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

The cord is good, I've got 120 v on each side.
                          But i looked at continuity on the camper receptacle and only 1 side shows complete.

Comment

The cord is good, I've got 120 v on each side.
                            But i looked at continuity on the camper receptacle and only 1 side shows complete.
                            While we're waiting for Jim, disconnect the cord from the wall and do a continuity check on that cord from the hots to neutral and hots to ground, then neutral to ground.

Repeat--cord completely disconnected from the camper and the wall--continuity check (no power).

All the checks should show an "open" (no continuity).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Okay, remove your power cord from the outlet and remove any adapters/pigtails from it. But leave it plugged into the RV at the wall.

Working on the 50 amp plug side of the cord, use your meter to check for continuity between all four prongs. Put your meter lead on one prong, and the other lead on any of the other three. Then move to the next one and so forth until you have checked the continuity from all four pins to all the others. You should be reading an open circuit on all of these pins. If you have continuity, there is an issue we need to track down.

Then install your pigtail onto the 50 amp cord and repeat the continuity test from all the pins. You should have open ciruits on all of those too.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X