Simplest Lithium Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplest Lithium Install

So I finally bit the bullet and bought that 2 Lion battery deal from Costco. I would like to install them inside the pass through of our 2670mk and add an inverter to it. I really want the simplest setup possible, it seems every time I try to look for a simple lithium setup I get stuff that looks like the space station. I would also like the ability to go back to the stock battery setup if I sell it or what not. All we need is to get through 1-2 nights of boondocking at rest stops while on our way to our destination. Really only need the power for the TV, my cpap, charging phones, laptops etc and misc lights maybe a fan in the bedroom etc.

My plan was to install the 2 batteries in the pass through (for security mainly and be near the inverter) with the inverter and just plug the trailers main power plug directly into the inverter. From my understanding I would have to turn off the breaker for my converter when on inverter power so I don't lose power trying to charge batteries with battery power. Plus I also understand I would not be able to run everything in the rig as I would still be limited by the battery bank and inverter size and I'm fine with that. I also read I will need to replace my converter with one that can handle lithium. Should be a direct swap and I will keep the old one incase I want to go back to stock. Just looking for the simplest solution to achieve the goal as I will have to wire it myself. I couldn't find anyone around here who would do these types of install. The mobile tech I use didn't even want to deal with moving the batteries inside, let alone some whole house inverter/converter type setup.

Unless there is something horribly wrong with the setup I'm describing I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to get the batteries hooked up inside the passthrough. The stock battery at the a frame has its negative cable going right to the frame below and the positive goes to some kind of fuse I think. It goes out the other side of the fuse into the passthrough inside the water hookup compartment and I believe connects to the disconnect switch.

I'm thinking run a positive cable from my new batteries (in parallel) to the same disconnect switch and then run a negative to ground? I would like to avoid making holes in the exterior of the rig or having to drop the underbelly, but not sure where I can hookup the negative cable. Anyways just putting my general thoughts out there so someone can tell me what's wrong before I fry something.

Included some pics of current stock wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	30039

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	30038
    Attached Files

So far your plan sounds very plausable. And you don't even have to change the converter if you don't want to go to the hassle. The WFCO converters will charge the LiFePO4 batteries just fine, but will take about 30-40% longer than a dedicated lithium converter. If you're only using the set up on an infrequent basis, I wouldn't go to the hassle of the change out.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      So far your plan sounds very plausable. And you don't even have to change the converter if you don't want to go to the hassle. The WFCO converters will charge the LiFePO4 batteries just fine, but will take about 30-40% longer than a dedicated lithium converter. If you're only using the set up on an infrequent basis, I wouldn't go to the hassle of the change out.

Jim
      Hmmmm interesting... I don’t want to change the converter, however I was told on the fb group that the issue with the stock one is that since the lithium hold a high voltage until almost dead that the converter doesn’t realize it needs to be charged so won’t charge it even though it’s not full... or something like that. If I don’t have to change it that would be great. We will typically be on hookups for a few days after those nights so I’m not worried how fast they charge back up.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Hmmmm interesting... I don’t want to change the converter, however I was told on the fb group that the issue with the stock one is that since the lithium hold a high voltage until almost dead that the converter doesn’t realize it needs to be charged so won’t charge it even though it’s not full... or something like that. If I don’t have to change it that would be great. We will typically be on hookups for a few days after those nights so I’m not worried how fast they charge back up.
        Here is the information from LION on standard chargers.

"Yes! You could use a standard battery charger and it will charge the batteries. However, since most chargers are designed for a lead acid battery, they are made to go up to a certain voltage. On a lead acid battery their "full" is about 13.8V. The UT 1300 can accept a charge up to 14.6V. Most chargers would get the batteries to 13.8V. For best performance, we recommend a lithium charger."

So it will "work", but if you want maximum charge on the batteries, go with a lithium dedicated charger.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Here is the information from LION on standard chargers.

"Yes! You could use a standard battery charger and it will charge the batteries. However, since most chargers are designed for a lead acid battery, they are made to go up to a certain voltage. On a lead acid battery their "full" is about 13.8V. The UT 1300 can accept a charge up to 14.6V. Most chargers would get the batteries to 13.8V. For best performance, we recommend a lithium charger."

So it will "work", but if you want maximum charge on the batteries, go with a lithium dedicated charger.

Jim
          May just leave it then. Honestly if not for the costco deal I would of probably just gone with 1 battery. If we do find ourselves draining them I could always swap out the converter at that time.

Comment

May just leave it then. Honestly if not for the costco deal I would of probably just gone with 1 battery. If we do find ourselves draining them I could always swap out the converter at that time.
            I used the WFCO converter on my Battle Born batteries for about six months and never had an issue.
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I'm thinking of going with this inverter
              https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pur...wave-inverter/

Maybe overkill but if I ever decide to upgrade the system I guess it's better to have a little more than I need. Also do you think the included 4 awg cables are adequate? Do I need to have a fuse or something in between the batteries and the inverter? Also do you think it's ok to connect the new batteries inside the pass through to that cut off switch mentioned in my first post? Trying to plan how to actually wire the whole thing. Thanks!

Comment

One of many methods for a simple install would be to mount both batteries out on the tongue (Tucson does this) and replace the WFCO with a dedicated inverter/charger that can be configured for all battery types. This model is not a dedicated lithium charger where others may be available that can handle Lithium which would be ideal. 55amp battery charging which would match the original WFCO output and 1500 Watt AC if that would meet your needs. Also has a built in transfer switch.

https://theinverterstore.com/product...erter-charger/

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  One of many methods for a simple install would be to mount both batteries out on the tongue (Tucson does this) and replace the WFCO with a dedicated inverter/charger that can be configured for all battery types. 55amp battery charging which would match the original WFCO output and 1500 Watt AC if that would meet your needs. Also has a built in transfer switch.

https://theinverterstore.com/product...erter-charger/

Jim
                  I have seen those.... but not sure what all is involved wiring it. Is it just a direct swap for the stock converter? Does it have to be wired into the breaker panel or something (not sure I'm up to that task)? I thought the stock converter just plugs into a wall outlet and doesn't do anything with the AC power.

Comment

I have seen those.... but not sure what all is involved wiring it. Is it just a direct swap for the stock converter? Does it have to be wired into the breaker panel or something (not sure I'm up to that task)? I thought the stock converter just plugs into a wall outlet and doesn't do anything with the AC power.
                    I do not think it would be a direct swap but it would be close. Your AC input would be connected to the Inverter/charger and the output to where the original connection was made. The 12V output would connect to the the same location as the WFCO. So the inverter/charger would have to be wired in. But an Inverter would also need to be wired in.

The WFCO typically plugs into an outlet behind the power distribution panel and the 12V output connects to the 12V distribution panel busbar.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I do not think it would be a direct swap but it would be close. Your AC input would be connected to the Inverter/charger and the output to where the original connection was made. The 12V output would connect to the the same location as the WFCO. So the inverter/charger would have to be wired in. But an Inverter would also need to be wired in.

The WFCO typically plugs into an outlet behind the power distribution panel and the 12V output connects to the 12V distribution panel busbar.

Jim
                      Sorry I'm totally clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. I understand the basic big picture on how I would connect AC power from shore power and DC from the battery to this inverter/converter and it would then automatically switch to batteries when I'm off shore power and charge batteries when I'm on shore power. My biggest issues is the actually process of installing it on my rig. I mean look at this mess where my converter is... I can see the 12v going into the converter so that would be easy swap to inverter/converter.... but where do I get the AC power from? I'm assuming that now it goes straight to the breaker box? Also I have read how 50amp units have to be wired different than 30amp because they have 2 legs or something. I feel like I have lot of info in my head, but have no idea what to do when I'm at the actual trailer wanting to get it done.

My plan was to leave the inverter inside the passthrough and then just connect the 50 amp trailer shore power cored directly to the 110 outlet on the inverter using an adapter.

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	30099
                      Attached Files

Comment

"Really only need the power for the TV, my cpap, charging phones, laptops etc and misc lights maybe a fan in the bedroom etc."

This statement is what caught my attention where the current from the your original battery location would most likely be within your 12V wire and size limitations of your rig. You would need to determine the maximum load that would be applied on the AC side and convert that to what you would need from your batteries. You can use an ampacity chart to determine what loads your original 12V cabling can handle in order to make the simple install. Otherwise you will need heavy cabling or move the inverter/charger closer to the batteries since heavy cable is expensive.

Since you mentioned a 50amp rig this is still possible but the simplicity is fleeting fast since this will require some re-wiring at your distribution panel with a sub panel. It may be best to have an electrician look over your rig to determine the best approach in wiring in an inverter/charger to meet your needs.

I've also been interested in wiring in an Inverter where I would only be interested in wiring in the TV and DVD player, so an inverter at the TV would work for this situation and with the original battery cabling to the distribution panel. So the demand on the batteries is an important factor in doing this as simply as possible.

Jim

Comment

So I finally bit the bullet and bought that 2 Lion battery deal from Costco. I would like to install them inside the pass through of our 2670mk and add an inverter to it. I really want the simplest setup possible, it seems every time I try to look for a simple lithium setup I get stuff that looks like the space station. I would also like the ability to go back to the stock battery setup if I sell it or what not. All we need is to get through 1-2 nights of boondocking at rest stops while on our way to our destination. Really only need the power for the TV, my cpap, charging phones, laptops etc and misc lights maybe a fan in the bedroom etc.

My plan was to install the 2 batteries in the pass through (for security mainly and be near the inverter) with the inverter and just plug the trailers main power plug directly into the inverter. From my understanding I would have to turn off the breaker for my converter when on inverter power so I don't lose power trying to charge batteries with battery power. Plus I also understand I would not be able to run everything in the rig as I would still be limited by the battery bank and inverter size and I'm fine with that. I also read I will need to replace my converter with one that can handle lithium. Should be a direct swap and I will keep the old one incase I want to go back to stock. Just looking for the simplest solution to achieve the goal as I will have to wire it myself. I couldn't find anyone around here who would do these types of install. The mobile tech I use didn't even want to deal with moving the batteries inside, let alone some whole house inverter/converter type setup.

Unless there is something horribly wrong with the setup I'm describing I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to get the batteries hooked up inside the passthrough. The stock battery at the a frame has its negative cable going right to the frame below and the positive goes to some kind of fuse I think. It goes out the other side of the fuse into the passthrough inside the water hookup compartment and I believe connects to the disconnect switch.

I'm thinking run a positive cable from my new batteries (in parallel) to the same disconnect switch and then run a negative to ground? I would like to avoid making holes in the exterior of the rig or having to drop the underbelly, but not sure where I can hookup the negative cable. Anyways just putting my general thoughts out there so someone can tell me what's wrong before I fry something.

Included some pics of current stock wiring.

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	30039

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	30038
                          I just noticed something. in your second photo the white wire with the red stripe is a HOT wire. It appear damaged where it is against the corner of the junction box, You should carefully check it and protect it against it rubbing on the box. A short here would not be good for things

Hope this helps
                          Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I just noticed something. in your second photo the white wire with the red stripe is a HOT wire. It appear damaged where it is against the corner of the junction box, You should carefully check it and protect it against it rubbing on the box. A short here would not be good for things

Hope this helps
                            Keith
                            Thanks I'll have to check it next time I'm out there

Comment

"Really only need the power for the TV, my cpap, charging phones, laptops etc and misc lights maybe a fan in the bedroom etc."

Since you mentioned a 50amp rig this is still possible but the simplicity is fleeting fast since this will require some re-wiring at your distribution panel with a sub panel. It may be best to have an electrician look over your rig to determine the best approach in wiring in an inverter/charger to meet your needs.

I've also been interested in wiring in an Inverter where I would only be interested in wiring in the TV and DVD player, so an inverter at the TV would work for this situation and with the original battery cabling to the distribution panel. So the demand on the batteries is an important factor in doing this as simply as possible.

Jim
                              Well this is why I'm thinking batteries and inverter in passthrough and just plug shore power cable directly to inverter. I imagine it would be the same as plugin into a regular 15 amp outlet. Can't run AC or any of the big stuff, but at least TV and outlets will all work. We just have to be mindful to turn off the converter when we switch to inverter power and not run too many things. If I sell it or trade it I can just pull out batteries and inverter and reconnect the stock battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X