Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper Ring terminal hole sizing and is insulated terminal required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Ring terminal hole sizing and is insulated terminal required?

This may sound like a strange posts, but I have run into a dilemma. How critical is matching the ring terminal hole size to the connection size. Example #10 size ring on #8 screw, or using a 3/8" ring on a 5/16" stud. Both are close, but not a perfect match. BTW will a 5/16" ring fit an M8 stud? I have yet to find an #M8 ring in 2/0 and 4/0, but I could be messing up my metric conversion and not reading tables correctly
    Although I know I can use 10/3 cable with my future Go Power 3000w inverter (25 AMP output) I was wanting to use 8/3 cable. Maybe I am The best route gives me a 15' run (one direction) The inverter has #8 screws from what I can tell, and the transfer switch has #8 screws too.

I am using 8 AWG PV cables on the solar due to run length and future expansion. I found 8 AWG PV wire and 8 AWG MC4 fittings at Continuous Resources.

Dilemma is finding good insulated 8 AWG #8 ring terminals - I can find 8 AWG #8 non-insulated terminals. I also can find all the 8 AWG #10 insulated ring terminals I want.

I have been searching the following brands. Ancor, FTZ, Sta-Kon, AMP/Tyco, Panduit, Morris Products. All of these have been recommended by various sources including here. Amazon has some of the brands, but prices are steep. Pkys.com carry's Ancor and has the best pricing for small quantity but does not carry all the sizes in 8 AWG that I think I need. I have used PKYS before with good service.

First - is there any reason not to use non insulated terminals? I can heat shrink if needed. Many many years ago (high school) all you could get were non insulated and you soldered them and taped them before installation. UGG - what a flashback, glad I am old sorehead now.

Second - some sources say you can us a #10 hole size ring terminal on a #8 screw connection - is that true? Hole dimensions appear a bit big for the #8 screw and I don't want pull through.

Bottom line - am I nuts for wanting to use the 8/3 cable??????

Should I solve my problem by going 10/3 cable from the inverter (25 amp AC) to transfer switch and then to the distribution panel??? I'm guessing the 30 AMP service cable will be 10 AWG too. Then there is no issues on finding the terminals I need. Its AC so the 10/3 should be fine as I was told before.

Sometimes I think I over engineer my projects (wanting 8/3 cable for extra safety and measure) - Ya think?

Thanks Keith

Yep I know - go back to my corner
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda I just purchase copper ring terminals and apply heat shrink after crimping. Here's an example below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Heat Shrink.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	42222
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Yoda I just purchase copper ring terminals and apply heat shrink after crimping. Here's an example below:

Click image for larger version Name:	Heat Shrink.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	42222
      Man you do neat work. Can I bring everything down to you? So I understand - what your saying is I can use non insulated even for the smaller size wires (8 to 14 AWG) and shrink wrap?

Thanks

PS - what terminal source did you use?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Bring your rig and a six pack. We'll knock it out. In fact, Paul Paul & Deb and I are going to build some new cables for his rig at the Quartzsite get-together at the end of the month.

You most certainly can use this method with any size terminal. When purchasing heat shrink, I'd recommend you go with the adhesive lined variety. On smaller terminals, I actually purchased ring connectors that had built in heat shrink. You can see these in the photo below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	42232

Here are some of the parts I purchased.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y8...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZD...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Bring your rig and a six pack. We'll knock it out. In fact, Paul Paul & Deb and I are going to build some new cables for his rig at the Quartzsite get-together at the end of the month.

You most certainly can use this method with any size terminal. When purchasing heat shrink, I'd recommend you go with the adhesive lined variety. On smaller terminals, I actually purchased ring connectors that had built in heat shrink. You can see these in the photo below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	42232

Here are some of the parts I purchased.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1W...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y8...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZD...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Thanks Jim
          I love your neat and tidy work. Hopefully I can come close.
          Pricing on the battery lugs looks pretty good, especially UL listed. Not sure if the TEMCo ones I have on my (yet to get) shopping list are.

Yep I have looked into and tried to use the heat shrink (marine grade) terminals. It was probably me, but I had issues with breaking the heat shrink when crimping. I used various heat shrink rated dies and others I have. Good crimps, but I managed to break the sheeting on about 50% of the connections. I did get them from NAPA and don't remember the brand. I remember they were pricey compared to the vinyl and nylon insulated terminals. I got a few packs of various sizes to try. All the others I used were nylon insulated and I had no issues

Whats the Quartzsite get-together at the end of the month? Is it an annual thing that GD sponsors, or just a get together?

Any thought on ring size verses terminal size in your experience?

Thanks for your help.
          Keith Off to my corner to make Anaheim poppers.

Comment

For any of you in Q now, there are several surplus type places that stock a decent assortment of ring connectors of various sizes. One of my favorites is the Quartzsite Outpost at the West end of Main St. There are usually also one or two in the Tyson Wells market off Kuehn St. just West of 95.
            Last edited by KamFlyer; 02-07-2021, 08:09 PM.
            -
            Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
            2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
            Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Jim
              I love your neat and tidy work. Hopefully I can come close.
              Pricing on the battery lugs looks pretty good, especially UL listed. Not sure if the TEMCo ones I have on my (yet to get) shopping list are.

Yep I have looked into and tried to use the heat shrink (marine grade) terminals. It was probably me, but I had issues with breaking the heat shrink when crimping. I used various heat shrink rated dies and others I have. Good crimps, but I managed to break the sheeting on about 50% of the connections. I did get them from NAPA and don't remember the brand. I remember they were pricey compared to the vinyl and nylon insulated terminals. I got a few packs of various sizes to try. All the others I used were nylon insulated and I had no issues

Whats the Quartzsite get-together at the end of the month? Is it an annual thing that GD sponsors, or just a get together?

Any thought on ring size verses terminal size in your experience?

Thanks for your help.
              Keith Off to my corner to make Anaheim poppers.
              To answer your question on sizing, I wouldn’t worry about the metric conversion, I would just go with the closest SAE equivalent, but I do try to match the size 1/4, 5/16, or 3/8. Should equate to more contact between the ring and the post, better current flow, and less heat. I got a set on Amazon that is bare copper in a variety of sizes (8 to 2 maybe) that included color coded heat shrink. I keep that and my crimper in the rig, you’d be surprised how often someone needs a cable made. This won’t help you on your 4/0 (I had those made) but the philosophy should hold.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda

I have always purchased terminals, lugs and heat shrink from https://www.elecdirect.com. They have every version and size that you can think of. They also have WeatherPack connectors that I like to use wherever I need a completely weatherproof connection that can be undone. Prices and delivery time has always been reasonable.

Your problem with breaking the insulation when crimping a heat shrink terminal is that you are probably using a crimper designed for regular terminals that crimps on both the bare wire and the insulation. The correct jaws for heat shrink terminals crimp only the wire. The glue filled heat shrink is the second means of connection to the insulation on the wire and does not need to be crimped.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Keith - In normal years, it's a full blown GDRV rally, boondocking style. This year, it's simply a campout in the desert due to distancing requirements. No large groups, no seminars, no potlucks, etc. It runs from 2/25 - 2/28 this year.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Yoda

I have always purchased terminals, lugs and heat shrink from https://www.elecdirect.com. They have every version and size that you can think of. They also have WeatherPack connectors that I like to use wherever I need a completely weatherproof connection that can be undone. Prices and delivery time has always been reasonable.

Your problem with breaking the insulation when crimping a heat shrink terminal is that you are probably using a crimper designed for regular terminals that crimps on both the bare wire and the insulation. The correct jaws for heat shrink terminals crimp only the wire. The glue filled heat shrink is the second means of connection to the insulation on the wire and does not need to be crimped.

Rob
                    Thanks Rob, but now I am puzzled. The dies are specifically for heat shrink terminals (single crimp rounded edges). Are you saying I need to pull the insulation back and just crimp the wire. then let the insulation slide over the crimp? I was crimping through the insulation and the insulation split right at the crimp impact point.

Comment

Thanks Rob, but now I am puzzled. The dies are specifically for heat shrink terminals (single crimp rounded edges). Are you saying I need to pull the insulation back and just crimp the wire. then let the insulation slide over the crimp? I was crimping through the insulation and the insulation split right at the crimp impact point.
                      Keith,

I've always crimped the terminals through the shrinkable insulation when they are manufactured that way. My crimpers have a setting for "insulated terminals", and another for non-insulated terminals. In my last photo, I crimped the terminals through the sleeving, then shrank it with no issues at all. I wonder if some of your terminals were just defective when they broke? Of course, if I'm crimping a bare terminal and using shrink tubing, I slide the tubing in place after crimping.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Keith,

I've always crimped the terminals through the shrinkable insulation when they are manufactured that way. My crimpers have a setting for "insulated terminals", and another for non-insulated terminals. In my last photo, I crimped the terminals through the sleeving, then shrank it with no issues at all. I wonder if some of your terminals were just defective when they broke? Of course, if I'm crimping a bare terminal and using shrink tubing, I slide the tubing in place after crimping.

Jim
                        Jim - your probably are right - cheap terminals and my new crimper with me overdoing it

Comment

Yoda TucsonJim

Crimpers for "insulated" terminals usually mean the terminals with the rigid plastic insulation, not heat shrink insulation. I have had the jaws for insulated terminals tear the relatively soft heat shrink material as Keith describes. In either case, the intent is to crimp the terminal with the insulation in place.

​​​​​​​Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X