Do I Need New Converter for Lithium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need New Converter for Lithium?

Post below extracted from TucsonJim's Lead-acid, AGM, or Lithium Battery thread. -Moderator Howard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the jist of the conversation, the converter in a 2021 Imagine 2600RB will not charge lithium batteries properly? I want to make switch to Lithium but need to know if I need to upgrade the converter. If so, what would be a good choice.

thanks

2021 2600RB. Pull with an 2017 F150 Ecoboost. I live in St Augustine Florida
    Last edited by howson; 02-14-2021, 03:39 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/Tow package

Hi Charles.

Your 2021 Imagine is equipped with a WFCO WF-8955 Power Center/Converter. The main electrical distribution center is in the top of the unit, and the converter is wired into the bottom. Your converter will charge LiFePO4 batteries, but it's not very efficient at it. I'd suggest you change it to a LiFePO4 dedicated converter to get the quickest and most efficient charge from your batteries.

WFCO is now offering a converter that you can swap with your original without having to change out the entire power center. The WFCo - WF8950L2-MBA is designed to be switched out in about 10 minutes. I'm attaching a link below for more information on it.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8950l2-mba/

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Charles Braddock - Just a note. Your signature line says your model is a 2020 2600, but your post says it's a 2021.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I have the same question. I have a 2021 Solitude 310GK with Solar Prep. I want to upgrade to Lithium batteries before adding the solar panels, but unsure if I need to also upgrade the power converter or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JOZ View Post
          I have the same question. I have a 2021 Solitude 310GK with Solar Prep. I want to upgrade to Lithium batteries before adding the solar panels, but unsure if I need to also upgrade the power converter or not.
          Yes you will need to upgrade to a Lithium friendly converter to get the best performance for charging your Lithium batteries while on shore power.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian answered your question--I'd like to say "Hi!" as that was your first post and point you to the Welcome Letter to New Members
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

To add to what is said here, they will work on the stock converter, but will not charge optimally, and depending on the BMS used in the batteries you could possibly do some harm to them (unlikely imo). For what you will be spending on the batteries figure a new converter into your upgrade. One of the advantages of lithium batteries is they accept charge much faster than conventional batteries. You will want a larger converter to take advantage of that anyway so make the upgrade.

The caveat to this is if you are also going to be installing an inverter with a built in charger that supports either lithium batteries or a custom charge profile (Victron MultiPlus or Magnum come to mind) then you can leave your converter in place and disable it (or remove it altogether). Let the inverter/charger do the job of the converter and you will be just fine. This is what I have done, and I have my factory converter to fall back on if my MultiPlus fails.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have the 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, I'm assuming that I should replace my converter as well as I am upgrading to a LifePo4 battery this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Teeder1 View Post
                  I have the 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, I'm assuming that I should replace my converter as well as I am upgrading to a LifePo4 battery this spring.
                  I sure would. It's rather inexpensive when compared to the battery price.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                  X