Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I have this extra electrical box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have this extra electrical box?

We just purchased a 2021 Solitude 378MBS and there is this odd additional breaker box in the mid-bunk area that we have never seen on another unit of the same model.

The only electrical difference I can think of is that we have the full solar package.

Any ideas why this would be configured this way? Neither GD (though Customer Service team has tried) or dealer can answer.

Seems odd to us that in such a nicely finished unit you would have this ugly exposed electrical box.

Thanks!

Tom & Linda
    Coach: 2021 Solitude 378MBS
    Tow Vehicle: TBD
    Georgetown ON Canada

Tom_378MBS

I'm not certain, but that looks like an electrical sub panel. I have the factory solar system but my sub panel is located in a cabinet. It's used for the circuits that are powered while running from the inverter. In my case it powers most of the electrical outlets, the vacuum and the residential fridge.

The cover on my sub panel looks like this. Does yours look similar?

Click image for larger version

Name:	310 Sub panel.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	45491
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

That's looks almost identical. Ours says fridge, general and bedroom though.

We were thinking it had to do with the solar pkg. Wish they would have put it in a cabinet..

Thanks!

Tom & Linda
      Georgetown ON Canada

Comment

TucsonJim Jim I am tagging you as this might be added to the list when you go. Looks ugly to me. Tom is correct there hast to be a better place to put it, including the distribution panel Thoughts? Maybe GD might have a solution you can bring back.
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I agree that this is less than appealing but,,,, There was a recent post from a Momentum owner that had to remove the lower step tread to access this breaker panel. Having it out in the open is much better than hidden somewhere.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            TucsonJim Jim I am tagging you as this might be added to the list when you go. Looks ugly to me. Tom is correct there hast to be a better place to put it, including the distribution panel Thoughts? Maybe GD might have a solution you can bring back.
            Keith
            I'll certainly mention it. Another consideration is specific access requirements for electrical panels. RV's generally need to comply with the National Electrical Code and this may be the reason for its location.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Can anybody think of a reason why I can't build a box around this (moveable) to keep it from being kicked while using the desk?

Tom & Linda
              Georgetown ON Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_378MBS View Post
                Can anybody think of a reason why I can't build a box around this (moveable) to keep it from being kicked while using the desk?
                I do not see any reason why you could not cover it up. Just make the box easily removed so you can access if a breaker trips.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Box with a cabinet door. Might even look to turn it and mount it on the back wall with the door facing out just in case you ever need to get at it. The door gives quick access should it trip a breaker.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Caution: Rant ahead...

It drives me nuts that these sub-panels are associated with a "solar package". Even GD's drawings use this name!

These sub-panels are due to the inclusion of inverters <deleted inaccurate info identified by Curtis>. It is feasible to have an inverter without solar, or solar without an inverter, or to have both. I wish GD would call sub-panels by their actual application, i.e. Inverter Sub-Panel.

To keep it simple: solar charges batteries. Inverters supply 120vAC from the batteries. The sub-panels ensure the inverter is not overloaded (at least in theory).

Howard
                    Last edited by howson; 03-17-2021, 03:08 PM.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Caution: Rant ahead...

These sub-panels are due to the inclusion of inverters on units with residential refrigerators.

Howard
                      Howson, not entirely true.

We DO NOT have a residential refrigerator and got the sub panel with the solar option which includes the 2000w inverter.
                      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

Howson, not entirely true.

We DO NOT have a residential refrigerator and got the sub panel with the solar option which includes the 2000w inverter.
                        Interesting. I stand corrected.

OK, so not tied to a residential refrigerator.

How about this? A sub-panel is not required with solar, nor does solar have any interaction with a 120vAC sub-panel. With an inverter, a sub-panel is one method of wiring a camper to minimize the chance of an overload.

Just because GD included an inverter with the solar option they are no more related than if GD included throw pillows with a couch upgrade. Sure, the pillows may complement the couch, but neither is "required" for the other to perform it's function. (How's that for an analogy??)

I still stand by my "rant" that the name should be Inverter Sub-Panel.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Our 2020 Solitude has the residential fridge, but we don’t have the extra breaker box, and don’t have solar or generator. In our breaker panel the lower leg has a 15a breaker labeled REFER and OPT INVERT. This breaker does not shut off the fridge. The upper leg has a breaker labeled COMMON which does shut off the fridge and some other outlets, which is what we use to shut off fridge for defrosting and drying out prior to closing up for the summer when we are gone. Seems like fridge would be on the same leg as the Inverter. During the Florida summer we leave a/c on at about 85 deg, slides closed &a de-humidifier. Once completely dried out, freezer & fridge are shut off at controls. No access to its power cord to unplug it. During defrosting & drying the breaker has to be shut off or the light and door-open chime stay on.
                          Doug & Barb
                          2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                          2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                          No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                          Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by SolitudeAtLast View Post
                            Our 2020 Solitude has the residential fridge, but we don’t have the extra breaker box, and don’t have solar or generator. In our breaker panel the lower leg has a 15a breaker labeled REFER and OPT INVERT. This breaker does not shut off the fridge. The upper leg has a breaker labeled COMMON which does shut off the fridge and some other outlets, which is what we use to shut off fridge for defrosting and drying out prior to closing up for the summer when we are gone. Seems like fridge would be on the same leg as the Inverter. During the Florida summer we leave a/c on at about 85 deg, slides closed &a de-humidifier. Once completely dried out, freezer & fridge are shut off at controls. No access to its power cord to unplug it. During defrosting & drying the breaker has to be shut off or the light and door-open chime stay on.
                            Have you looked in the small cabinet above the microwave for the plug? Since your fridge is in the slide, I would expect that the outlet is also. We have the same fridge and ours is in the first cabinet and up high.
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

howson, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Since the subpanel isn't coming with residential, but it is with the solar option, wouldn't including it as part of the "Solar Package" be the same as the larger radiator being included in the "Towing Package" of a truck?
                              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                              2020 Momentum 351M
                              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X