New 260RD! Where to Wire Inverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 260RD! Where to Wire Inverter?

We picked up our 260RD 5th wheel on Friday and was sad to see there is not a 12V plug near the television (or anywhere) to plug in an inverter. Has anyone wired an inverter directly to the battery? If so, where did you run the wiring? Thanks for the help.

Dusty
    Dusty
    2021 Reflection 260rd

Originally posted by DSPARKS View Post
    We picked up our 260RD 5th wheel on Friday and was sad to see there is not a 12V plug near the television (or anywhere) to plug in an inverter. Has anyone wired an inverter directly to the battery? If so, where did you run the wiring? Thanks for the help.

Dusty
    First, congrats on the 260RD and welcome to Grand Design's Owners' (Technical) Forum. To learn more about how to navigate and various "good to knows" please read the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

For your question...there's a lot more information needed before suggestions that align with your expectations can be given.

For example,

What will run off the inverter? Is there an estimate of peak amperage required?

How long will it run? (This translates to "How much power in watts over time is expected"?)

Is this a boondocking scenario or connected to shore power?

If boondocking, how many (and what type) camper batteries are going to be used? Any other source of power to recharge the battery bank?

As you can see...lots of issues to consider. If you can clarify the requirements I'm sure someone here can expound on the options. By reading the Welcome Letter you'll discover how to search this place, too, as there are many, many threads on the topic here.

Again, welcome!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by DSPARKS View Post

Dusty
      Welcome Dusty
      Howard howson is very correct. I am going to take a guess here, but you have a small portable inverter that plugs into a 12V outlet so you might be able to power the TV. First off - the stock battery supplied by dealer is usually not large enough to handle this, unless backed up by solar - or a portable generator. You might get 2 to 3 hours of use. So please budget for that. I would hate for you to end up with a dead battery and not get slide in, etc

This thread may give you a few ideas as to how to wire in a 12V plug https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...wer-in-bedroom. There are others, so try the search feature above.

If you put the fuse block by the battery (highly recommended along with 10AWG wire) you can get into the underbelly through an existing frame hole either below the GD bus bar right side of forward compartment, or below the back side of the disconnect switch. Again front compartment left side. There will be existing foam filling theses holes. You could then run inside the coroplast (belly fabric) and come up under the entertainment center. There may be an existing access hole there. The only way to know is drop some of the coroplast and look. There will be an access hole under the sink, but that would mean snaking the wire through all the cabinets an behind the stove, but it could be done. If you go that way I suggest a split wire loom to protect the power cable.

Now if you want to get fancy and put in a full size inverter/charger (say Victron MultiPlus ) to power all the 120V outlets there are numerous threads here (I have a current one on my install). Your lucky - we have the very best folks here to help with your project. They have been invaluable in mine.

Safe travels and the best on your project
      Keith Now back to my corner
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. If/when the rain stops I will crawl around and see what I can find.
        Dusty
        2021 Reflection 260rd

Comment

DSPARKS Welcome to the family and the technical forum!
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Update: I decided to splice into the power running to the light below the television and added a 12V receptacle next to the television mount. The inverter plugs in using the cigarette lighter adapter and we now have power to the television without being plugged in or running the generator. Off to the lake I go. I hope everyone has a good weekend.
            Dusty
            2021 Reflection 260rd

Comment

Working...
            X