Possible electric problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible electric problem?

Hello all, I'm new to the camper world and this forum so forgive me if the questions have already been addressed. I bought a 2018 GD imagine 2150 Friday and took the family camping. My possible issue is that I hooked up to 30amp at campsite but once my batteries drained I had no power anywhere. I had the electric key turned on for the entire trip but I had to hook up cable to my truck several times and charge my batteries to get power back on. Am I doing something wrong because I was assuming that while hooked up to campsite I would have constant power. I bought the camper from my mom (recently went through a divorce and didn't feel comfortable pulling it so she bought an rv instead) and it had been used very very little. I wouldn't think anything would have went bad because of how little it had been used. Breakers and fuses were all good. Thanks in advance for any info.

Jwickline

Did you check to see if the converter breaker is turned on in the power distribution panel?

Do you know where the converter is?

The converter is the item in the RV that converts 120 v ac into 12 v dc which is what most of the RV uses for power.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There is a control box indside with breakers for hot water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner, microwave, etc. There are also fuses inside that box. I checked those. If there is another location for a breaker then I am unaware of where it is.
      also, I do not know where the converter is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jwickline View Post
        There is a control box indside with breakers for hot water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner, microwave, etc. There are also fuses inside that box. I checked those. If there is another location for a breaker then I am unaware of where it is.
        also, I do not know where the converter is.
        One of those breakers should have been marked converter. It is usually located behind that fuse panel and is accessed from some kind of false wall. It has fuses on it that may be blown, if they are good then the converter itself might be suspect. The converter is the device that "converts" shore power into battery power. Think of it as basically a glorified battery charger. In the short term to get you by you could use a battery charger plugged into either the power pedestal or an outlet in the rig to keep the batteries charged.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

In addition to the converter breaker inside the RV, have you checked the breaker on the power pedestal?
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

It is possible to blow the fuses on the converter output if at anytime the battery was momentarily misconnected. + wire to minus terminal, - wire to + terminal. Find the converter and check. Follow the heavy battery wires.
            The battery wire attached to the frame should be connected to the battery - terminal.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Most of the converters I have seen will have one or 2 fuses on the case somewhere. Assuming that you checked everything else and it tested okay its likely the converter has failed.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thanks for all the advice I will check it out and post back later.

Comment

Working...
                X