• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoda
    replied
    Originally posted by Popga View Post
    Yoda

Thanks!
    On the solenoid ground, your post (#227) you checked the ground to make sure it was good. Just verifying my understanding, small lug on solenoid wired to a good ground on the frame...Ya?
    the mounting bolts of the solenoid are not intended to ground it, correct?

Erik
    I grounded the solenoid (negative coil side) to one of the mounting bolts that secures the solenoid to the frame mount. You can see the ring terminal on the left attachment bolt if you look closely. Not sure on you 05 how Ford has that done, but in general the body/frame are bonded in several locations. I would look for one of the grounding screws or ohm out the location your thinking of.

On the solenoid I used the case is not grounded - separate positive/negative coil terminals. However there are solenoids out there that are case grounded and will only have the positive coil terminal present.

Leave a comment:

• Popga
    replied
    Yoda

Thanks!
    On the solenoid ground, your post (#227) you checked the ground to make sure it was good. Just verifying my understanding, small lug on solenoid wired to a good ground on the frame...Ya?
    the mounting bolts of the solenoid are not intended to ground it, correct?

Erik

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Yoda
    Keith,
    I am gathering all the components for my DC-DC build.
    What drove you to use the braided sleeve to protect your wiring vs the split loom? I do love the braided look.
    Also if you were to do it again, would you still bundle both wires on the TV into one braided sleeve, or go separate?

Erik
    Eric - It was the first time using the braided loom and I love the stuff - much more flexible than the rigid split stuff. It's actually easy to install too. I posted the source back in post [HASHTAG="t295"]110[/HASHTAG] - wire source in (best wire available) , but here is the Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2?ie=UTF8&th=1

The 1.5" (red covering both wires) was the easiest to work with. As for looming the wires together - definitely would do again - made slick work of fishing it through the body to the back. I believe it added good protection to the wire - its tough stuff. It just keeps things neat. Just watch for sharp points you running past - I used some foam tape and padding on any sharp points and secured it tightly to avoid any slop that might create wear points.

Hope this helps
    Keith

BTW the Cole-Hersey solenoid is working well.

Leave a comment:

• Popga
    replied
    Yoda
    Keith,
    I am gathering all the components for my DC-DC build.
    What drove you to use the braided sleeve to protect your wiring vs the split loom? I do love the braided look.
    Also if you were to do it again, would you still bundle both wires on the TV into one braided sleeve, or go separate?

Erik

Leave a comment:

replied
    This forum is way better than a crossword puzzle for stimulating my brain and keeping it functioning....
    LOL. For many it is harmful to the wallet with all the tool and modifications being done here. All good stuff.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Popga That depends on the user. If there is no chance of leaving the system powered where it can kill the TV batteries and leave you stranded, then there is not an advantage. The primary reason for the relay and power with key it to hopefully keep the system from drawing power when it's not running.

If it were me, I'd setup the really such that it is on an oil pressure switch or something that only comes on when the engine is actually running. I have really bad luck with Murphy.

Leave a comment:

• Popga
    replied
    Is there an advantage to having the relay powered by a switch that does not require the ignition to be on, for example for those who use the rear TV connector as a 12V power supply for pumps and such? Or is that risky?

Erik

Leave a comment:

• howson
    replied
    Originally posted by ncitro View Post

You could add a switch, and admittedly it is nice to have mine on the upfitter switch, but honestly I do not think its needed. I have the relay connection on the Renogy connected to the running lights, so my father in law with the F150 basically need to have it plugged in, truck running, and lights on for it to be on. If it is a short trip and the batteries are full, or we are in full sun he just does not plug it in those days.
    The extra switch (to control the relay) provides an additional layer of safety to keep the connector hanging from the back of the truck from being "live" when it shouldn't be powered. At least that's why it was added to the wiring on my setup--I have to take two deliberate actions to get the truck's electrical 12V power active on the DC-DC wiring: turn on the upfitter and (manually, not in auto) turn on the headlights. For the readers of this thread, that may seem like a lot but keep in mind that the wiring (when enabled) is connected to two AGM deep-cycle batteries wired in parallel (the Ford OEM setup).

Leave a comment:

• Popga
    replied
    This forum is way better than a crossword puzzle for stimulating my brain and keeping it functioning....

Leave a comment:

• ncitro
    replied
    Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Eric on my 04 the fuse block on the drivers side had several open spots. I found in testing that some were always hot and some ignition hot. I was installing and air compressor and needed ignition hot. I used a fuse tap on the hot side and went through a switch and then to the relay. I had the switch in the glove box along with the pressure gauge. It should be very easy to mount a switch on the drivers side lower dash - there may even be a blank spot in the dash, before the relay that powers the DC-DC

Something to think about.
    Keith
    You could add a switch, and admittedly it is nice to have mine on the upfitter switch, but honestly I do not think its needed. I have the relay connection on the Renogy connected to the running lights, so my father in law with the F150 basically need to have it plugged in, truck running, and lights on for it to be on. If it is a short trip and the batteries are full, or we are in full sun he just does not plug it in those days.

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    ncitro

Did that relay just come on with the ignition? Or was it switched separately also?

Erik
    Eric on my 04 the fuse block on the drivers side had several open spots. I found in testing that some were always hot and some ignition hot. I was installing and air compressor and needed ignition hot. I used a fuse tap on the hot side and went through a switch and then to the relay. I had the switch in the glove box along with the pressure gauge. It should be very easy to mount a switch on the drivers side lower dash - there may even be a blank spot in the dash, before the relay that powers the DC-DC

Something to think about.
    Keith

Leave a comment:

• ncitro
    replied
    ncitro

Did that relay just come on with the ignition? Or was it switched separately also?

Erik
    Comes on with the ignition. I think we tapped off the fuse for the wipers.

Leave a comment:

• Popga
    replied
    ncitro

Erik

Leave a comment:

• ncitro
    replied
    Popga I did an install in my father in laws F150 with no upfitters. We just found a fuse for an ignition switched circuit and used that to trigger a solenoid. Works great. Used these:

PAC PAC-200 200 Amp Relay Battery Isolator, standard https://a.co/d/hxbrbFt

Recoil FT4-10 10 Pack 12V Car Add-a-Circuit Fuse Tap Adapter ACZ Blade Fuse/Micro 2 Fuse with 10pcs 10A and 20A Fuses https://a.co/d/j7pVoeK

Leave a comment:

• Yoda
    replied
    Yoda

Gee, Thanks a lot....

Mines been bulletproofed...Twice. Heads are new, hp oil pump is new, turbo is new, EGR? no comment, coolant filter, 325A USCustom alternator with custom wiring harness from ficmrepair.com, new ficm (x2)...Tranny is holding on, but when it goes, its still cheaper than a new truck, as I can see from your beautiful rig! We've sat in and test droved every new truck out there, but we LOVE the X!

But, thanks for the love...If only had all my fix and upgrade money back to put a down payment on a new rig....wait, I'd still owe $75k on the new one

Erik
    You have had better luck than me with your 6.0 Sounds like you have a good mechanic and proactive. BTW I had ARB studs installed. the diesel doc loved them. As for your EGR it's good you have the problem covered/cured . When they go it is a real mess and does a lot of damage to other stuff.

LOL 75K I wish. if you do get the bug for new, join EAA and use thier partner x-Plan program. Save me about 8K overall. Stock should be improving over the next year or so, so prices night get competitive again.

Safe travels
    Keith

Leave a comment:

Working...
X