Converter compatibility with lithium batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post

Did you read the link I posted above? They make a switchable lithium model that is directly swappable. The charge profile is different and suited for lithium batteries.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...nt=Catch%20All
    I did read it. So the charger has a Li charging profile, but does not charge to 100%.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

I did read it. So the charger has a Li charging profile, but does not charge to 100%.
      I haven't read all the links so I'm curious about the conclusion that the replacement charger (with a lithium profile) won't charge a LifePO4 battery to 100% -- what led to that conclusion?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The correct WFCO converter is an easy swap and is $200. If you’re spending that much money on batteries you should do it right. Shore power, and the generator all go through the converter so the only way you’ll get the batteries to 100% is through solar.

this is what you need https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855lis/
        howson , me too. Or did I get confused? The oem converter will not charge to 100%, but the replacement with the Li profile will?
        Last edited by TedS; 12-07-2021, 12:32 PM.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

What? There's a difference between the 8955PEC and 8955LIS you need the one with the lithium switch if you want your lithium batteries to get to 100%. Here's an install how-to (not me).

https://www.theoutdoorlife.us/upgrad...b25fb211080376
          2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
          2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
          x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

I installed the WFC 9855Lis on my 320G with two battle born battery’s and they charge to 100%, very easy to install and I used the jumper wire instead of the switch since I just have the battle born.

edit - just tested my batteries and both read 13.7 volts
            Last edited by Hogdrv; 12-07-2021, 03:14 PM.
            Jim and Cindy
            2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
            2021 320G

Comment

NickinCO and Hogdrv -- thanks for the posts. Your experience is what I expected--good to have confirmation.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I went with Progressive Dynamics, follow the link for Lithium upgrade, find your current model and it will tell you what is compatible with your converter. Works great.
                Last edited by SASurvival; 12-14-2021, 12:34 PM.
                Sandra, Andy & Bella the dog.
                2019 F150 3.5ecoboost
                2022 150 series 260RD
                15' Home built Oasis 1 teardrop design.

Comment

The correct WFCO converter is an easy swap and is $200. If you’re spending that much money on batteries you should do it right. Shore power, and the generator all go through the converter so the only way you’ll get the batteries to 100% is through solar.

this is what you need https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855lis/
                  That's what you need if going to lithium Ion, but not many people are doing that. Unless I misunderstood the specs.
                  *edit*
                  I think I misunderstood, but they call it a lithium ion charger all over the place.
                  With the lithium switch 'on' or the terminals jumpered, it provides 14.6 volts continuously. No float voltage. Assuming this is how they make it cheaper than other brands.
                  *edit* Apparently it does drop to a float voltage...forget everything else I said...cuz everything I thought I knew..I didn't..lol
                  Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-17-2021, 10:07 PM.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I would just like to share my actual experience. I put 540 Ah of LiFePO4 batteries in my 25G using the original WF-8955 converter.
                    I still have the lead acid battery hooked up on the tongue. I control which one is connected to the converter with a switch.
                    The reason being is that I use the lead acid battery for my trolling motor and charge it through the converter, plus a back-up never hurts.
                    Now that it's plugged in and put up for the winter, I've had a chance to play around.
                    Sitting idle for days with only the required 12V systems operating (roughly 1 amp load as read on my battery capacity meter),
                    the converter will charge my batteries to 72%. The charge current goes to zero.
                    I unplugged from shore power and ran 12V stuff to bring the battery down to 60% and re-connected to shore power.
                    The converter charges the battery @ 10 amps gradually going to zero when the battery gets to 13.2V. (I did this a couple of times)
                    I have an independent 60A lithium charger for shore/gen power to charge to 100% when necessary. Solar in the future.
                    2021 Momentum 25G
                    2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
                    2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Not to hijack a thread, but on the same topic, my 2670MK has a WFCO 9855 (vs the 89xx). I looked online and it seems this is already Lithium ready?
                      Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
                      2021 GD 2670MK
                      2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Working...
                      X