Renogy 20 amp DC-DC Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
    Guest Country Campers Wow, thanks Jim and Brian! Just ordered direct from Renogy; free shipping with tax $120 for the 20 amp model. Do you guys think its OK to run a "sense" wire from the input terminal on the Renogy to the "signal input" terminal (like a jumper wire). Or does it need a completely separate wire run. My thinking is that the jumper would accomplish the same result. Even if I don't disconnect the RV from the TV hitch for the night, I unplug the 7 way cord. My batteries will be here soon and I want to install this at the same time. Also, should there also be a ground connection at the RV battery from the 7 way cord, or is it just directly grounded to the trailer frame, or both? Would it matter either way? I likely have a lot of connections going on in there with the inverter and factory solar and on board factory genset. I didn't install the current set of batteries, but figure if I take good pics and label stuff I should be OK to exchange the new ones myself.

Dave
    I fed mine off an upfitter switch, which is already keyed power so I didn't need to worry about tieing it to the lights. I did as you suggested, ran the sense wire to the imput (with a small fuse) with no ill affects.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I did mine the same
      Jim and Cindy
      2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
      2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
        14 Awg wire that runs thru several in-line wiring harness connectors before it gets to the 7-way connector.
        If the TV has 14ga to the 7pin connector, AND it goes through several connectors before it gets there....That would be a concern in my opinion. Every connector has the potential to create a voltage drop if it corrodes a bit/ water gets at it, or is not 'pristine' for any reason. And the higher the current you ask for will exacerbate any voltage drop. And 14ga is only rated for 15a.

Wonder if it makes sense to remove the factory wire from the 7pin and connect a no 'in-line connectors' wire from TV bus to connector.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

What did you guys do with/for ground?
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
            What did you guys do with/for ground?
            I did not tie into the 7 pin harness, so I ran a dedicated 4AWG positive and negative all the way to the battery. It is probably excessive, but I have chased bad ground issues before and did not want to go down that road.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

OK, thanks
              Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
              2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
              2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
              2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
              Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                If the TV has 14ga to the 7pin connector, AND it goes through several connectors before it gets there....That would be a concern in my opinion. Every connector has the potential to create a voltage drop if it corrodes a bit/ water gets at it, or is not 'pristine' for any reason. And the higher the current you ask for will exacerbate any voltage drop. And 14ga is only rated for 15a.

Wonder if it makes sense to remove the factory wire from the 7pin and connect a no 'in-line connectors' wire from TV bus to connector.
                Scott,

This should be considered vehicle specific and even from one model year to another for the same brand IMO. Looking at the drawings on my truck the circuit is rated to 35amp so I've not even looked at it. I've not blown the 30amp fuse where I measured a 27amp startup with around 25amp steady state at a 20amp charge setting.
                The Pollak connector at the truck is rated for 30amp and the 7 way to the Imagine for power and ground is 10awg. From the junction box at the frame, I ran 8awg marine wire into the pass-through to try and keep overall resistance as low as possible.
                If folks just want separation and a lithium profile and do not mind 10amp charging, the 20amp Renogy can be configured to 10amp with a jumper wire. Also since I have one battery a 10amp configuration with a jumper is no different than folks with 4 batteries and a dedicated line with a 40amp unit. However a 10 amp charge will not help those with 4 batteries. This method will not be for everyone but has worked well for us. A dedicated wire could easily be ran to the 7 way connector for another option.

Jim

Comment

Guest Yes, vehicle specific for sure. gbkims truck is pretty much the same as mine so I'm a bit concerned about 14ga wire with several connectors. I'm sure I will be going with the same dc/dc you have, but I want to be 100% sure I'm not over stressing any factory wiring.

Neil, #4 is good for 80A. Are you running your fridge or AC as you run down the road?
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

My Ram's OEM +12V for 7-way wiring & connectors:
                    Fuse F30 >> C7, Pin 38 >> I221, Pin 1 (Behind Left Wheel Well) >> I570 (@ Bumper) >> 68154464AC Y Harness (w OEM Splices) >> Bumper 7-way and to >> I580A >> 68171484AA Harness (@ LH Bumper) >> Bed 7-Way.

I ran dedicated wire from front to bed b/c of the number on connections..
                    Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

My Ram's OEM +12V for 7-way wiring & connectors:
                      Fuse F30 >> C7, Pin 38 >> I221, Pin 1 (Behind Left Wheel Well) >> I570 (@ Bumper) >> 68154464AC Y Harness (w OEM Splices) >> Bumper 7-way and to >> I580A >> 68171484AA Harness (@ LH Bumper) >> Bed 7-Way.

I ran dedicated wire from front to bed b/c of the number on connections..
                      gbkims
                      Thanks for your feedback. Did you go with #10awg? To match the connector?

From the way you think, I'm thinking you were a maintenance electrician as well....or perhaps engineer?
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

gbkims
                        Thanks for your feedback. Did you go with #10awg? To match the connector?

From the way you think, I'm thinking you were a maintenance electrician as well....or perhaps engineer?
                        I left the OEM wiring alone after looking at the pins used in the harness connectors and 7-way connectors.
                        The largest wire 12 Awg is for ground and it has the largest pin in the connectors. http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=212680
                        So I ran to a bed mounted Anderson SB120.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram 7-way Inline Connector Pins.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	72277 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram Bed 7-way - Rear Pins.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	72278

I was a maintenance tech, I&E.
                        Gene and Kim
                        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I left the OEM wiring alone after looking at the pins used in the harness connectors and 7-way connectors.
                          The largest wire 12 Awg is for ground and it has the largest pin in the connectors. http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=212680
                          So I ran to a bed mounted Anderson SB120.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Ram 7-way Inline Connector Pins.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	72277 Click image for larger version  Name:	Ram Bed 7-way - Rear Pins.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	72278

I was a maintenance tech, I&E.
                          The Pollak 7 way can accept from 14 to 10awg wire if this helps for a bypass on the OEM harness.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X