Error Message When Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Message When Towing

I don’t know what to try next. I get this error message every time I hook up my 2021 Momentum 351m to my 2022 Ford F-350, then the error message pops up each time the brakes are applied, which gets very annoying. And there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the right turn lamp.

I have a 7 pin tester and it seems to indicate, perhaps, an issue with the voltage in the electric brake pin on the truck, but I took it to the dealership and they couldn’t find an issue. However, I hooked up to a friend’s RV and did not get an error message. I also had a Dodge and GMC hook up to my RV and did not get an error message. So it seems to be in the way my specific truck communicates with my specific trailer. Any help is appreciated.

From the message the issue is not with the brakes. You may want to check resistance on the left turn trailer circuit and compare to the right.

Jim

Comment

Do you have a camera? If so, how is it wired?

Also, have you done any conversions or do you have LED lights on the trailer?
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Is the truck brake controller set for electric or electric/hydraulic brakes?
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by atxBear2008 View Post
          Any help is appreciated.
          IMHO you're going at it the right way by trying to isolate the problem to the truck or to the RV.

Before I outline what I'd try, note that your Momentum will not have the box I use to show which wires to swap. You'll have to dig the wires out of a metal junction box like the one shown below (or similar), cut wires, and then re-splice them back together to attempt what I'm going to suggest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Something like this.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	74095

If the suggestion below is outside your comfort zone or experience level...feel free to ignore.

What I'd do is temporarily swap the Left Turn/Stop and Right Turn/Stop wires where the 7-pin cable connects to the camper wiring.

With the wires swapped:
          • If the right side error message persists, it's the truck because the right side truck output is going to the left side lights (completely different wires and lights) that previously worked.
          • If the truck flashes a left side error message, that's because the left truck output is now going to the right side light circuit in the RV, so the problem is in the RV.
          If the Mictuning box (what's shown below and an upgrade I did to my trailer) this thread may be informative: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...cle-connection

Click image for larger version  Name:	mywires.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	74094

Take a good look at the connectors on the truck and 7-pin, too. If they have any corrosion clean them with DeoxIT. https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De.../dp/B00006LVEU

Click image for larger version  Name:	DEOXIT.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	74093

Howard
          Last edited by howson; 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Do you have a camera? If so, how is it wired?

Also, have you done any conversions or do you have LED lights on the trailer?
            The guy I bought the trailer from has a GMC truck and had a backup camera installed that he said would only work with a GMC. I believe it is hardwired, as opposed to the furrion cameras that are also on the trailer which are over the air. Is it possible that the GMC specific camera wired through the trailer could be screwing things up for my Ford? There was no error message when I hooked up my buddy’s Dodge to the trailer. Thank you!
            edit: Talked to the previous owner of the trailer who clarified there was a separate connection for the camera to his truck, not through the 7 pin.
            Last edited by atxBear2008; 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
              Is the truck brake controller set for electric or electric/hydraulic brakes?
              I’ve tried both, but it’s set to electric.

Comment

Originally posted by atxBear2008 View Post
                I don’t know what to try next. I get this error message every time I hook up my 2021 Momentum 351m to my 2022 Ford F-350, then the error message pops up each time the brakes are applied, which gets very annoying. And there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the right turn lamp.

I have a 7 pin tester and it seems to indicate, perhaps, an issue with the voltage in the electric brake pin on the truck, but I took it to the dealership and they couldn’t find an issue. However, I hooked up to a friend’s RV and did not get an error message. I also had a Dodge and GMC hook up to my RV and did not get an error message. So it seems to be in the way my specific truck communicates with my specific trailer. Any help is appreciated.
                Have you pulled the right turn signal off the trailer and checked the wiring? Could be a simple loose wire or ground connection. Also look under the trailer just below the turn signal and check the wiring there. If you find knife splice connectors as posted above in #5, remove them and install crimp bulb connectors. I have had several of the pictured splice connectors go bad on my unit.

Hope this helps
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

For some of the GM applications the truck to trailer wiring creates havoc on the cameras as they do not get enough power. There is a kit that gets installed to provide the necessary power to the camera to make it work properly.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Have you pulled the right turn signal off the trailer and checked the wiring? Could be a simple loose wire or ground connection. Also look under the trailer just below the turn signal and check the wiring there. If you find knife splice connectors as posted above in #5, remove them and install crimp bulb connectors. I have had several of the pictured splice connectors go bad on my unit.

Hope this helps
                    Keith
                    Thank you, I will try that! Is it possible that that’s the issue and I only get an error message on my Ford and not on a GMC or Dodge truck?

Comment

Wanted to close the loop on this in case others come searching for a solution to the same problem. I purchased a 7 pin adapter that “eliminates false lamp-out indications when towing a trailer equipped with LED lights.” I no longer have the error message. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good to hear it's fixed. I don't have that light error with my Ford.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

2022 F350 had issue with brakes also Display says brakes not connected even though showed on dash that trailer was connected.

2022 31MB for first RV.

First RV, First Truck and heading south over the grapevine to San Diego for my first drive.

When plugging in the 7 pin connector it showed active on my dash with no errors
                          When I used the manual brake controller it said no brakes.

Drove forward and could tell no brakes

The rv dealer had a tool to check both my 7 pin connections and both verified no power on the brake line - blue wire. (bumper and bed connections)

Fuses ok, lights on manual brake trigger in truck so power to that point. Thus know it is between trigger and where the 7 pins split off. This was a factory installed option so hardwired.

Dropped the trailer to could go to Ford dealer in Morning, but didn't want to wait until morning so figured check myself when light out.

I traced the wiring back under the truck bed, next to the driver side on the spare tire and discovered that one clip had the same Blue power wire and White Ground wire in it. Unplugged the clip wire added some dielectric grease reconnected and tested with the new tester I bought and it was working.

Drove back the RV dealer and verified it was working and went on my way.
                          2022 Ford F-350 Lariat
                          2022 31MB
                          As of January 2022 had never owned a Truck or Trailer.

Comment

jim-SD

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum . . . although, I expect you have been here for a while by your knowledge of the subject. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Thank-you for posting this. I also have a 2022 F350, so if this occurs. I will know where to look.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

Thanks for the info. Nope totally new. Here is the connection. Attached to the trailer tow hitch drivers side, next to tire. Easy to find once you know where it is but took awhile to figure out. Blue (brake) and White (ground) wires that lead to bumper and truck bed 7 pin plug.
                              2022 Ford F-350 Lariat
                              2022 31MB
                              As of January 2022 had never owned a Truck or Trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X