Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplus 2 to DC Panel setup on 50amp RV

Hi all,
    I'm purchasing a Reflection 31MB which is 50amp and I want to install a Multiplus 2 Inverter / Charger into my system. I'm confused at the fuse panel wiring and hoping someone can shed some light.
    From the inverter I have AC-OUT1 and this will go to the fuse panel, however how do I wire it at the panel when there are 2x 50amp fuse blocks.
    From a diagram I gleaned online it shows:
    Black = Goes to left side 50amp fuse
    Red = Goes to right side 50amp fuse
    Green = Goes to the Earth bus bar
    White = Goes to the neutral bus bar

Does this seem right? Because I'm also seeing chatter in forums about the Multiplus 2 only powering up either left or right

The attached depicts the above and courtesy of Nate from Explorist Life (which I've bought his design) and intend to mimic in my 5th wheel. The yellow wire coming in is in fact from the Multiplus 2 from the AC-OUT1 connection

Thanks in advance

Sachin
    Attached Files

Letting us know which model of Multiplus 2 that you purchased will help ( I have been reading up on them and it seems there is a couple different models but I could be wrong).

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Am thinking of getting the Victron Multiplus II 3k - 2x120V - 12V as per Explorist Life design - https://www.explorist.life/50a-campe...iring-diagram/

Comment

Originally posted by Sachin.b View Post
        Hi all,
        I'm purchasing a Reflection 31MB which is 50amp and I want to install a Multiplus 2 Inverter / Charger into my system. I'm confused at the fuse panel wiring and hoping someone can shed some light.
        From the inverter I have AC-OUT1 and this will go to the fuse panel, however how do I wire it at the panel when there are 2x 50amp fuse blocks.
        From a diagram I gleaned online it shows:
        Black = Goes to left side 50amp fuse
        Red = Goes to right side 50amp fuse
        Green = Goes to the Earth bus bar
        White = Goes to the neutral bus bar

Does this seem right? Because I'm also seeing chatter in forums about the Multiplus 2 only powering up either left or right

The attached depicts the above and courtesy of Nate from Explorist Life (which I've bought his design) and intend to mimic in my 5th wheel. The yellow wire coming in is in fact from the Multiplus 2 from the AC-OUT1 connection

Thanks in advance

Sachin
        First...minor point on terminology. The 120vAC wiring goes into circuit breakers. Usually when discussing "fuses" in our trailers it's in the 12vDC circuits. (Not a big deal, but want to avoid confusion.)

In a direct answer to your question, yes, that's right. Without making your eyes roll back in your head, due to the way the two 120vAC lines "push" and "pull" (since they are created from a 240vAC line) the neutral line never sees more than 50A.

If you want to dig in further on the topic of why only one neutral with two separate hot legs, read J. Michael Sokol's article here: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ral-burned-up/ In the paragraph that starts with, "The hat trick is that when..." has the explanation you'll want to focus in on.

I believe forum member bertschb has had a Multiplus II the longest. Another is Jimmer . If you have any specific questions hopefully they can help you out.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Sachin.b View Post
          Hi all, From the inverter I have AC-OUT1 and this will go to the fuse panel, however how do I wire it at the panel when there are 2x 50amp fuse blocks.
          The MultiPlus II 12/3000 2x120v connects to the main panel the same way your current 50 amp service connects. It will provide power to both of the 50 amp legs but of course while running from the inverter (no shore power), you can't run all of your hi amp loads simultaneously. You have to manually manage your loads so you don't exceed the limit of the inverter.

In very simple terms (just so it's easier to understand) you disconnect the current 50 amp "cord" (black/red/white/green wires) from your main panel and connect to your inverter. You then run another 50 amp "cord" (black/red/white/green wires) from the inverter back to where you disconnected the original wires from the main panel. Before installing, just take a picture of how the current power cord and its four wires are connected to your panel and do the same thing with the wires from the inverter.

Hope that makes sense!
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thank you both for clearing up the confusion, this helps a great deal

Comment

Hopefully, I'm adding this comment into an appropriate thread.

I'm looking for recommendations on how you routed your AC wiring from the Shore power connection to your Muiltiplus II.

I was wondering if it would be an acceptable idea to disconnect the wiring connected to the shore power connection on the side of the trailer.
              • installing a box into the underbelly close to where the wire runs from that shore power connection to the panel.
              • run 50 amp 6 awg wire from the AC Out on the Multiplus II (located in the pass through of my 315RLTS) to this newly installed box, where I would butt splice onto the original wiring (from the Shore power connection to the panel)
              • run a 50 amp 6 awg wire from the AC In on the Multiplus II to a new Shore Power connection located in a heavy duty battery box on the tounge of the trailer.
              The idea behind this was to reduce the amount of 50 amp 6 awg wire required. It would require 20 feet of cable to go from current shore power connection to where my Multiplus II is to be installed. It would then require another 20 feet to go back to the panel. Using the logic above, I would require less than 30 feet total of cable. By butt splicing onto the existing wire going to the panel, I would eliminate making any new or replacing connections at the panel. I've found appropriate butt splices designed to join the wires. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance for reviewing this post and providing commentary.

Comment

Teeder1 I have the Multiplus 1 but the wiring needs are similar. I used a 10" metal box, but they're not weatherproof so I put it in the pass through storage behind the false wall. I pulled the factory shore power feed out of the main breaker and brought it into the box where I spliced it to the feed going to the Multiplus and then back out to the main panel. I tied all four neutrals and grounds together (but isolated obviously).

I used these insulated splices, they work really well.

Morris Products 97103 Black Insulated 2 Conductor Connector – 2-14 Wire Range, Slotted Allen Hex – 1.15”L x 1.50”W x 1.42”H – Single Side Entry – Pre-Filled, Easy Entry, Rubber Vinyl Coating, 600 Volt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKG8DNU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at those splices but because they are not waterproof I though the ones I linked to might be better. Not sure. was going to use a waterproof box as well.

Comment

Yeah I've used those for splicing underground Romex, I five then hard to work with. If you're using a waterproof box (and waterproof cable glands) it shouldn't be needed. I chose to locate mine in a dry location to avoid the issue altogether. Also much easier to access than dropping the coroplast if something is wrong or I needed to bypass the Multiplus for some reason.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X