Suggestions needed for adding additional charge wires in 5th wheel nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions needed for adding additional charge wires in 5th wheel nose

I have a Reflection 240RL and plan to run a new set of charge cables to charge my trailer batteries at a much higher rate than the 7-pin cable can provide. From the nose where the 7-pin cable connects to the trailer, I see a couple of holes that might work but I can't run a fishtape into the front bay through the holes. There is no space between the heavy gauge frame members and the skin. Same for looking from the front bay toward the nose. Does anyone have a solution to my issue? I would rather not stick the new cable to the outside under the nose and drill through to the front bay.
    Lar

Originally posted by Lar View Post
    I have a Reflection 240RL and plan to run a new set of charge cables to charge my trailer batteries at a much higher rate than the 7-pin cable can provide. From the nose where the 7-pin cable connects to the trailer, I see a couple of holes that might work but I can't run a fishtape into the front bay through the holes. There is no space between the heavy gauge frame members and the skin. Same for looking from the front bay toward the nose. Does anyone have a solution to my issue? I would rather not stick the new cable to the outside under the nose and drill through to the front bay.
    Lar
    Hi Lar, welcome to the forum. Since I own a travel trailer I'll leave a response to your question to the 5vr owners here. I know my fellow moderator Country Campers has recently done some electrical upgrades so he may have a suggestion.

In the meantime, please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members. It should help you get the most out of your time here on the forum. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have run a small wire back from the pin box to the front storage but it was only 14 ga.

For the larger wire you are thinking of ncitro , Neil has done the larger charging wires in a fifth wheel and there may be others. I am not sure how they ran the wire from the pin box to the front storage, hopefully they will be along to add some guidance.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Lar

I was able to feed a fairly large connector from pinbox to front compartment (Ford harness for the trailer camera and TPMS) by loosening the fasteners that hold the covering under the overhang and starting at the front compartment end with a 1" x1/8" plastic batten and then pulling the harness back by extracting the batten. The path that I found crossed the steel that you describe so the wiring ends up squeezed between this and the covering when the fasteners are reinstalled, but without relative motion between the two, this should be OK. You would want high current cables to be well insulated in this area.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Lar View Post
          Lar
          When I installed the wiring for the reverse lights I did as Rob mentioned Cate&Rob and loosened the fasteners.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0374s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	76508 I used a fish tape. Took several tries as it kept hanging up on the insulation. Trick is to have it follow the sheeting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0375s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	76509
          This shows where it came out in the front bay. You will find this void at the very top of the front bay, looking forward. I will be following this same route when I run my 2awg DC-DC cables.

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Lar I ran two 4AWG welding cables as well as the Ford trailer TPMS cable. I consider myself pretty good at fishing wire but was unable to get a path to get it all through. I wound up drilling up into the space under the bed, running back through there and then down into the front bay. I sealed those holes with silicone and then fire resistant spray foam.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Lar Welcome to the Family and the forum!
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
              X