New take on old GFCI issue, Solitude 390 RKR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I noticed the label on the GFIC about not installing in wet or damp conditions - makes me wonder?
    Also do you have a way to verify the transfer switch is working? It appears to be apart of the inverter.
    Brainstorming here
    Keith
    The transfer switch is a separate piece. Romex hardwired in from the main panel and hardwired out to the sub-panel. The other end plugs in to the inverter.

Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Yoda OffToHavasu hmmm. I wasn't aware the xfer switch was separate; thanks. Yeah I saw that sticker too; surprise! Isn't that the point of using these in a (potentially) damp location? To my knowledge, and no one else is fessing up, that outlet has not gotten wet. Also, this has been going on since we got the trailer. Just never dry camped that long. So the (seemingly random) tripped outlet never seemed like a hard failure of something. We have less than 50 hours on the generator. The last 10 we knew of the problem. The other 40 or so we didn't, and usually run it for 2-3 hours when we start it. So it has tripped randomly maybe dozen times, spread out over a year. And several of those were blamed on the Keurig, until we plugged that in to a non-gfi outlet.

Got a replacement outlet installed today. But couldn't test because now the generator acts as if its not getting fuel. One tank full, and the other empty. Furnace works, but gen starts and then dies, after about two seconds. Will be this weekend before I can get the other tank filled and try again.
      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave Dave, try swapping the tanks location (assuming you are referring to the propane tanks). This will let you know if you are having propane connection details. Be really crappy to be out somewhere to find you have a bad tank or bad propane selector with or other issue.

If the tank giving you issues is the one opposing the selector valve, check the red regulator.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have read different times over the years that the cross over hose from the curb side to the street side regulator would deteriorate. The rubber from the inside of the hose would collect at the fitting on the auto change over regulator and plug the hole, another reason I manually move tanks.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson Yoda Scott'n'Wendy OffToHavasu . Problem(s) solved. Filled empty propane tank and installed. Purged air by ligting stove top (furthest gas appliance); took a long time to light. Gen starts and runs. Ran for 1 hour and 15 minutes. New outlet did NOT trip. Shut down gen, and reestablished shore connection. Will check tomorrow, but am not expecting any further problem because it didn't act up before on shore power. Although still wondering why issue only when on gen power. Inverter left on entire time, which is usual for us. It would have been better if GD had installed remote switch for inverter in the interior command center, rather than in the basement as they did. While not impossible to move, it would be kind of a pain. We don't shut it off because afraid won't remember to turn it back on, lol.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/help with this. I hope to be able to return the favor.

Dave
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
              howson Yoda Scott'n'Wendy OffToHavasu . Problem(s) solved. Filled empty propane tank and installed. Purged air by ligting stove top (furthest gas appliance); took a long time to light. Gen starts and runs. Ran for 1 hour and 15 minutes. New outlet did NOT trip. Shut down gen, and reestablished shore connection. Will check tomorrow, but am not expecting any further problem because it didn't act up before on shore power. Although still wondering why issue only when on gen power. Inverter left on entire time, which is usual for us. It would have been better if GD had installed remote switch for inverter in the interior command center, rather than in the basement as they did. While not impossible to move, it would be kind of a pain. We don't shut it off because afraid won't remember to turn it back on, lol.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/help with this. I hope to be able to return the favor.

Dave
              Good news
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post

Dave
                Glad you got it figured out!
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                X