Furrion MPPT 50A and battery disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post

Possibly. In boating there can be parasitic draws when disconnecting the positive. I don’t know if I have that issue. But the main reason for using the negative would be for safety.
    If one or the other terminal of the battery is disconnected, there can be no parasitic losses. What would be the path for the current?

I'm not following how safety could be impacted by disconnecting the positive vs negative terminal...
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

If one or the other terminal of the battery is disconnected, there can be no parasitic losses. What would be the path for the current?

I'm not following how safety could be impacted by disconnecting the positive vs negative terminal...
      the negative is connected to the frame. If you're working around the battery and inadvertently bridge the positive to the frame you will get arcing, sparking, et al.
      Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
      2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
      2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

This thread is about a battery system disconnect switch, not doing work on a battery. Yes, when working around or on a battery, disconnect the negative. Still no explanation as to why the battery discharges so quickly when the circuit is open, whether on positive or negative side.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

One other possibility, How clean is the battery top? Dirt and condensation can lead to discharging.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
          X