Why is my heat not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my heat not working?

Reflection 303RLS 2019. The heat's not coming on and I don't know why. Propane is full. Circuit breaker not tripped. Thermostat set for 50. A couple days ago, the propane did run out, but its full again and the heat won't come back on. I've reset the thermostat a couple of times, but no luck. What's going on? What can I check?
    2019 Reflection 303RLS

Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
    Reflection 303RLS 2019. The heat's not coming on and I don't know why. Propane is full. Circuit breaker not tripped. Thermostat set for 50. A couple days ago, the propane did run out, but its full again and the heat won't come back on. I've reset the thermostat a couple of times, but no luck. What's going on? What can I check?
    I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, but wanted you to know I moved your post to the HVAC channel. If you don't want to have to type your model number each time, you can include it in a signature at the end of each post. Here's how to do that: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

After the propane ran out, did you make sure to bleed the air out of the lines? We usually light our stovetop and let it run until we have a nice level flame. Maybe try setting the thermostat to a higher temp to see if it kicks on?

I'm sure some of our other more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to give you some other ideas.

Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax Trueblood View Post
      What's going on? What can I check?
      I really don't have any advice other than to make sure propane is flowing. I would make sure the handle on the switchover valve is pointing to the full tank. I'd then close the valve on the full tank and then slowly re-open it. After that I'd check to make sure I could light the stove so I know propane is flowing. Once I know I have propane I'd try the furnace again. If it still didn't work, I'd be searching this forum for help :-)
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Ajax - Do your stove burners light?

When you run out of propane, the lines typically fill with air. This air needs to be purged from the system before the furnace will light. If the furnace doesn't light on the first try, then it's locked out due to lack of propane.

Here's how I'd approach it.

1. Turn on one burner on the stove until you see a nice flame.
        2. Turn on all the burners on your stove until all of them are burning brightly.
        3. Turn off the stove.
        4. Turn off your furnace thermostat and leave it off for 30 seconds.
        5. Turn your furnace thermostat on, and set the temperature to 80°F.
        6. Listen for the flame to ignite and for the furnace to start blowing warm air.
        7. If the furnace doesn't light on the first attempt, it will shut off. If so, repeat steps 4-6 up to three times.
        8. If the furnace doesn't light after three full attempts, you'll need to have it serviced.

One other note: Make sure your battery disconnect switch is turned to the on position, and your batteries are fully charged or your plugged into shore power.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Agree with everything TucsonJim posted. Most likely air in the line. Also, thermostat at 50 seems pretty low unless the temp in your rig is lower than that.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Ajax - Do your stove burners light?

When you run out of propane, the lines typically fill with air. This air needs to be purged from the system before the furnace will light. If the furnace doesn't light on the first try, then it's locked out due to lack of propane.

Here's how I'd approach it.

1. Turn on one burner on the stove until you see a nice flame.
            2. Turn on all the burners on your stove until all of them are burning brightly.
            3. Turn off the stove.
            4. Turn off your furnace thermostat and leave it off for 30 seconds.
            5. Turn your furnace thermostat on, and set the temperature to 80°F.
            6. Listen for the flame to ignite and for the furnace to start blowing warm air.
            7. If the furnace doesn't light on the first attempt, it will shut off. If so, repeat steps 4-6 up to three times.
            8. If the furnace doesn't light after three full attempts, you'll need to have it serviced.

One other note: Make sure your battery disconnect switch is turned to the on position, and your batteries are fully charged or you're plugged into shore power.

Jim
            EDIT: If you get it to fire up, then adjust the thermostat temperature back to where you want it.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just tried all the above. Got it to fire up once but now it’s not firing up again. The blower turns on but the furnace is not lighting. Followed the steps above about three times and still nothing. Thoughts?
              Bob-O
              Imagine 2400BH | Champion 4650 Dual Fuel Generator | Solar Package | 200ah EnduroPower Lithium
              2020 Ram 1500 Laramie | 5.7L w/eTorque | S&B CAI | 3.92 Axle | 6'4" Box | 4x4 | 2" Mopar Lift | SnugTop
              Northern Colorado​

Comment

If the blower turns on, then ignition does not follow shortly afterwards, likely a bad sail switch or your furnace flue is partially restricted.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbybob View Post
                  Just tried all the above. Got it to fire up once but now it’s not firing up again. The blower turns on but the furnace is not lighting. Followed the steps above about three times and still nothing. Thoughts?
                  Since you didn't start this thread, does the burners on the stove top work with a bright blue flame? Does the water heater fire up on propane with no issues?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks howson and Scott'n'Wendy...was able to figure it out. Came down to my battery. Was able to get it connected to shore power and the issue went away. Guess it's time to look at a better battery! LOL. Colorado cold just kills batteries.
                    Bob-O
                    Imagine 2400BH | Champion 4650 Dual Fuel Generator | Solar Package | 200ah EnduroPower Lithium
                    2020 Ram 1500 Laramie | 5.7L w/eTorque | S&B CAI | 3.92 Axle | 6'4" Box | 4x4 | 2" Mopar Lift | SnugTop
                    Northern Colorado​

Comment

Working...
                    X