Good Flow Meter For Water Tank Filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Flow Meter For Water Tank Filling

I did a search and found a little bit, including recommending the one I just broke. So I thought I would ask others if the are having the same issues with these. Amazon is flooded with a lot of brands that all look the same - all china made

I am getting frustrated with cheap plastic that breaks within a year and only a few uses.

I have used the following two brands
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both worked, but both split the female end after several uses. Both were a bear to get leak free, which is probably why the female ends split. I was only hand tightening too.

In searching I found two with brass female ends. Has anyone used either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Geevon-Measur...jaz10cnVl&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Measure-Consu...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Secondary question - hose washers. Is there a brand or type that wont dry out in a year?

Thanks for any help - don't need another bath at the Nautilus panel

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda -- I haven't tried either of those metal versions, but will be interested in your results if you get one.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Keith, I'm going to guess the pretty brass parts are just that, pretty parts. where it attaches to the body that does the work will most likely still be PLASTIC as well as all of the internal parts.

So far I am using the Orbit one with a swivel (Think it was a Howard suggestion) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so there is essentially no stress on the meter. My setup is Nautilus-QD-Swivel-Meter-QD (hope that makes sense).

How are you keeping the hose side loads off the meter?
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Keith, I'm going to guess the pretty brass parts are just that, pretty parts. where it attaches to the body that does the work will most likely still be PLASTIC as well as all of the internal parts.

So far I am using the Orbit one with a swivel (Think it was a Howard suggestion) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so there is essentially no stress on the meter. My setup is Nautilus-QD-Swivel-Meter-QD (hope that makes sense).

How are you keeping the hose side loads off the meter?
        I have a brass 90 at the Nautilus so it's straight down through the saddle box hole..
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Solve the leak instead of breaking the swivel. Maybe the hose end is the source problem.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            Solve the leak instead of breaking the swivel. Maybe the hose end is the source problem.
            I think it was the crummy supplied hose gasket - after it broke I found it stiff and dry. That's why I asked about better gaskets.

Comment

Yoda Keith, I've had good luck with the round ones from the orbit kit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Ho...7937/100659295 I guess if you could find the same size in a hardware or supply chain store it would be better.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Yoda -- I haven't tried either of those metal versions, but will be interested in your results if you get one.
                Or...in other words...I'd like you to be the guinea pig Keith....lol...

But..I'm curious. What do you guys use a flow meter for? To verify tank capacity? Or for sanitizing to get the right bleach to water ratio?

I just fill until it comes out the overflow. Then I figure it's full.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, I use the flow meter for several things.

1st filling the fresh tank. This way I know how much is in there and can usually catch it before it starts to over flow.

2nd when camping it's kinda a friendly reminder of how much water we have used.

3rd and probably the most important. is black tank pre charge and flushing. I can put 5 gallons in or 10 gallons in the black tank as a pre charge and know that I have the right amount. When flushing I start with a 10 gallon power flush fill, then a 5-7 depending on if the discharge is colored or clear. keep repeating the 5-7 or even a 10 until the discharge is clear, then precharge with 5-10 gallons as needed for a healthy system.

Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy I have an Aquatank2 bladder to haul water when needed. It's hard to tell how much is in it just by looking, so I use the flow meter when I fill it to make sure I have enough to fill my tank on the trailer and not blow up the bladder.

Terry
                    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I think it was the crummy supplied hose gasket - after it broke I found it stiff and dry. That's why I asked about better gaskets.
                      I keep a supply of soft hose hose end gaskets (the best ones are usually red rubber for some reason). If the connection leaks after moderate hand tightening . . . changing the gasket/washer usually solves the problem. If not, look for damage to the seat on either side of the seal. I have been using the same plastic Orbit meter for years. Be careful of cheap metal in contact with water . . . metal corrodes, plastic does not.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Now that Rob mentioned Cheap Metal, be careful as not all BRASS is LEAD FREE.

What Is Brass?

Like copper, brass is a non-ferrous, red metal. Unlike the pure metal, however, it is a metal alloy that primarily consists of copper and zinc. Other metals—such as lead, tin, iron, aluminum, silicon, and manganese—are also added to produce more unique combinations of characteristics.

Quick search on "pure brass": https://www.sequoia-brass-copper.com...parison-guide/

Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Scott'n'Wendy Scott, I use the flow meter for several things.

1st filling the fresh tank. This way I know how much is in there and can usually catch it before it starts to over flow.

2nd when camping it's kinda a friendly reminder of how much water we have used.

3rd and probably the most important. is black tank pre charge and flushing. I can put 5 gallons in or 10 gallons in the black tank as a pre charge and know that I have the right amount. When flushing I start with a 10 gallon power flush fill, then a 5-7 depending on if the discharge is colored or clear. keep repeating the 5-7 or even a 10 until the discharge is clear, then precharge with 5-10 gallons as needed for a healthy system.
                          Oh..ok
                          I'm ok with a few litres overflowing..and I know i'm 100% full.
                          And for the black tank I prefill by bowlfulls...lol

Your way is much more scientific....but I get by ok.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                            And for the black tank I prefill by bowlfulls...lol
                            Before or after use

Sorry
                            Do you assume 1 gallon per bowl? I used to do that until I got the flow meter, then I used the blank tank flush to fill quicker. I usually go 10 gallons, then add my 1 cup Dawn and Tied pod from above with the first use

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Or...in other words...I'd like you to be the guinea pig Keith....lol...

But..I'm curious. What do you guys use a flow meter for? To verify tank capacity? Or for sanitizing to get the right bleach to water ratio?

I just fill until it comes out the overflow. Then I figure it's full.
                              LOL Well I guess I am. I ordered this one today https://www.amazon.com/Geevon-Measur...jaz10cnVl&th=1 Has pretty good reviews.

Ill update when It shows up.

BTW the water tank strapping is doing fine - no issues. Now to start the rigid insulation along with wiring protection (hollow split pool noodles). Then the fun begins with the coroplast.

Comment

Working...
                              X